GM Announces that Camaro will see Production - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 5thgen.jpg - 4890 Bytes

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fifth Generation Discussion forum for the newest Camaro 2010–present

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Aug 9th, 06, 02:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Tech

GM Announces that Camaro will see Production

From Automobile Magazine:

YES! Chevrolet is finally done prolonging the inevitable. The Camaro concept we’ve all been drooling over for the past eight months will be confirmed as a production model during an announcement on August 10, 2006. Check back tomorrow and we’ll have more details once the announcement has officially been made.

http://www.automobilemag.com
3098 lbs (and falling!)
sik68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 10th, 06, 05:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Re: GM Announces that Camaro will see Production

announcement today around 11:00 am

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/

click then+now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'00 Sierra ext. cab 5.3l intake best run 15.89

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 grand prix GTP
cjrolke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 10th, 06, 05:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Thumbs up Re: GM Announces that Camaro will see Production

Hit the "NOW" button.........

There it is..........

That's about as official as it gets folks!!!!!!!
69ss350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 10th, 06, 07:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Press release:
http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...=2&docid=27934

- Frost Grn, x11, 350 4bbl, COMPCam XE256H, Crane XR-i HEI, M20, posi, Flowmaster 2.5";

You can live in your car, but you can't drive your house.
chuck69ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 10th, 06, 07:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck69ss
Will it be considered an 09 or will it be an 10? My wifes going to be dissaponted to have to wait another year.
satz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 10th, 06, 07:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Sounds like it will be a late-release 09 (1st quarter of 2009).

- Frost Grn, x11, 350 4bbl, COMPCam XE256H, Crane XR-i HEI, M20, posi, Flowmaster 2.5";

You can live in your car, but you can't drive your house.
chuck69ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 10th, 06, 09:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Tech

If you read between the lines the car will not be built in the USA but down under like the GTO was. I don't know if that will sell? Everyone registered on this forum better go out and get one ASAP or else it will fail like the resurected GTO did. I wish they would build it in North America.

Quote:
Give the People What They Want

By Bob Lutz
GM Vice Chairman

Ever since we launched this blog over a year and a half ago, a few recurring themes have peppered your comments and feedback, and perhaps one more than any other. For a while there, it seemed like Fast Lane would turn into "All Camaro, All the Time."

We'd post something about fuel economy; someone would respond by telling us to build a new Camaro. We'd write about the latest J.D. Power Dependability Study; someone posts about missing Camaro. Our revamped value pricing system? Camaro. A brand-new GM rollover testing facility? Camaro.

And this was before the 2006 Detroit show when we unveiled the new Camaro concept! That just intensified the drumbeat.

As you probably know by now, the Camaro program has been approved for production, as Chairman/CEO Rick Wagoner announced at the annual industry Management Briefing Seminar in Traverse City, Mich., this morning.

I'm not going to tell you that Camaro is happening because the blogosphere demanded it; that would be disingenuous. But I will tell you that the enthusiasm shown for Camaro in this forum is a shining and prominent example of the passion that exists for this automobile, and we thank you for sharing it with us.

I'll also tell you that we're going to deliver a car worthy of that passion. We'll follow the formula for providing a beautiful and compellingly styled car that, depending upon which engine and what options are chosen, will also be extremely affordable. No matter what the combination, Camaro will absolutely offer tremendous value for the money.

While this is indeed the return of an American icon, I think what sets us apart is that we didn't slavishly go back to the old 1969 Camaro styling. We took the essence of that — its DNA — and styled a completely modern car around it. In other words, it looks like a '69, but it doesn't look like a '69.

Its appeal will go well beyond just those people who are fans of the '69. We love those people and their enthusiasm, and we want the car to appeal to them, but also to a broader audience. It has to appeal to people who have never even heard of a Camaro. Outside certain age groups, and outside the United States, people have to look at it and see a beautiful car, period. If we are too literal in our interpretation, then we would fail to be relevant to a lot of people.

Camaro's beauty will apply to its performance as well. It will be a sensational chassis, a variant of our all-new global rear-drive architecture engineered in Australia, our center of large RWD expertise. (Design work will be done in the U.S., making Camaro a product of our now truly global product development organization.) The new RWD architecture is designed for optimum steering, ride and handling, vehicle dynamics and safety. In terms of chassis excellence, we will be completely "no-compromises."

It will be an absolutely premium-feeling RWD muscle car at a very attractive price, and I predict it will drive huge volume for Chevrolet, and be a big image boost for the brand and for GM.

I also predict that you will tell me in no uncertain terms whether you agree with that assessment, and I further predict I will read a lot of posts with the word "Firebird" in them. Love that enthusiasm!

For more on the Camaro announcement, take a look at the official press release.

Posted by Lutz at August 10, 2006 08:22 AM
1972 El Camino SS350
1973 Chevelle SS350
1977 Monte Carlo
2002 Trans Am WS6
elcamino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 10th, 06, 09:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired

I read in Lutz's statement that the new camaro will be built on 'a variant of the architecture from the Australia design', not that it will be BUILT IN australia...
click is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 10th, 06, 10:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcamino
If you read between the lines the car will not be built in the USA but down under like the GTO was. I don't know if that will sell? Everyone registered on this forum better go out and get one ASAP or else it will fail like the resurected GTO did. I wish they would build it in North America.
It will not be assembled in Australia.

I was able to attend the GM announcement earlier today at the GM Technical Center - great crowd!!

Video and pictures will be posted later this week

67 Camaro RS/SS L78 /
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 10th, 06, 03:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Tech

What plants here besides the Lansing Grand River Assembly (Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS) and Bowling Green (Corvette, XLR) builds comparable rear wheel drive cars?

All he said is it will be designed in the USA, he could have easily said built in. The short launch period would mean an existing plant would have to built it, does not seem they would retool another plant.
1972 El Camino SS350
1973 Chevelle SS350
1977 Monte Carlo
2002 Trans Am WS6
elcamino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 10th, 06, 03:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

yahoo news said it will be available in late 08 as a 09 model. I think they might release it in summer of 08 to help sales
Bjnko69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 10th, 06, 03:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Retired

the talk has been mentioning the old Canada plants that could be fired up in time
click is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 10th, 06, 04:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcamino
What plants here besides the Lansing Grand River Assembly (Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS) and Bowling Green (Corvette, XLR) builds comparable rear wheel drive cars?

All he said is it will be designed in the USA, he could have easily said built in. The short launch period would mean an existing plant would have to built it, does not seem they would retool another plant.
Chassis was engineered by Holden in Australia.
Canada is also in North America

67 Camaro RS/SS L78 /
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 10th, 06, 08:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Most of the plants now "could" be converted over to build rear drive cars. I've heard rumors that the GM Saturn plant here in Tenn may build it.
Ron
Aces 3081, TC #54 Gold
ToocoolZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 11th, 06, 07:21 AM   #15 (permalink)

yay, another retro AMERICAN muscle car name being built with australian parts and design... weres the nostalgia. thats the main reason i didnt like the gto, they took a famous american car name thats a legend in the muscle car world, then slapped the gto name on a holden. i would like to see these cars produced in detriot again. thats just my opinion anyways, as for me, i will stick with my 73' z.
1973z28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in