Camaro returns to Canada - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 5thgen.jpg - 4890 Bytes

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fifth Generation Discussion forum for the newest Camaro 2010–present

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Aug 21st, 06, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Camaro returns to Canada

http://5thgencamaro.blogspot.com/200...to-canada.html

Once again the Chevrolet Camaro will be assembled in Canada, this time in Oshawa!

Souce: Reuters
TORONTO (Reuters) - GM Canada said on Monday it will build the new Camaro at its plant in Oshawa, Ontario, where workers earlier this year agreed to job cuts to try to secure production of the reborn muscle car.

The automaker said production of the Camaro, a classic muscle car of the 1960s and 1970s, is scheduled to begin in late 2008 with sales expected in the first quarter of 2009.

General Motors of Canada said changes to its Oshawa plant, which will include a new flexible production line, will cost C$740 million ($661 million).

"The Oshawa car plant has been selected as the plant to manufacture one of GM's most celebrated new vehicles, the Chevrolet Camaro," GM Canada president Arturo Elias said in his announcement that Oshawa had won the contract.

Earlier this year, workers at Oshawa, members of the Canadian Auto Workers union, agreed to 2,500 early retirements to trim operating costs at Oshawa, which is about an hour's drive east of Toronto.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
67 Camaro RS/SS L78 /
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Al; Aug 21st, 06 at 02:18 PM. Reason: title correction
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 21st, 06, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Re: Camaro retruns to Canada

Does anyone have any inkling on what power plants will be available. In the news they are calling it a muscle car. Now muscle to me would be at least 400 hp.
1968 Camaro Coupe L30 275 horse. ]
Stewie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 21st, 06, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie
Does anyone have any inkling on what power plants will be available. In the news they are calling it a muscle car. Now muscle to me would be at least 400 hp.
one V6 and at least two V8 motors.

I would expect at least current Corvette HP in the base V8 car

67 Camaro RS/SS L78 /
Old Aug 21st, 06, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie
These may not be exact but what I've heard is:
240 HP V6
320 HP V8
500 HP V8 (LS9 I think)

Basically they want to go head-to-head with the Mustang (and Challenger). Now I'll be curious to see how they price them...

- Frost Grn, x11, 350 4bbl, COMPCam XE256H, Crane XR-i HEI, M20, posi, Flowmaster 2.5";

You can live in your car, but you can't drive your house.
chuck69ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 21st, 06, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Full press release:

Oshawa, Ontario (Monday, August 21, 2006) - General Motors of Canada Limited (GMCL) President Arturo Elias announced today that the Oshawa car plant has been selected to manufacture one of GM’s most celebrated new vehicles - the Chevrolet Camaro. The Oshawa plant will build the new Camaro, with early production versions at the end of 2008, with start of sales in the first quarter of 2009. This new product program and conversion of the Oshawa plant to a state of the art flexible manufacturing facility represents a C$740 million investment, with preparatory work beginning immediately.

The new Camaro is a thoroughly modern interpretation of the 1969 icon. GM has indicated that the production version of the Camaro is going to look almost identical to the “Best in Show” concept vehicle first featured at the Detroit Auto Show earlier this year.

“This important new investment for Oshawa would not have been possible without the strong partnership with the CAW and federal, provincial and local governments” said Mr. Elias. “Oshawa’s selection to build the new Camaro is a tribute to our employees’ reputation for the industry’s best quality and productivity and further evidence of the exciting comeback happening at GM today.”

CAW president Buzz Hargrove said “Earning the mandate for the new Camaro is a huge accomplishment and is due in part to the reputation of our members for producing great quality vehicles. CAW local 222 has really stepped up with an innovative local agreement that contributed to building a viable business case for the Camaro.”

“Today’s announcement is great news for all GM stakeholders in the Durham Region” said Federal Finance Minister and Member of Parliament for Whitby-Oshawa the Honourable Jim Flaherty. “It builds on GM’s broader integrated innovation investment that includes research partnerships with educational institutes across Quebec and Ontario, including the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT).”

“GM’s investment in the Camaro program here in Oshawa proves once again that when government and industry work together, the result is a stronger economy and even more opportunity for Ontario families,” said Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty. “Our province’s strength continues to be our highly skilled workforce and our culture of innovation -- and this new investment proves that.” Ontario Minister of Economic Development and Trade Joe Cordiano continued, saying “This announcement is a vote of confidence in this plant, the skill of its workers and Ontario as a place to invest. It shows we can accomplish great things when we all work together.”

Colin Carrie, Member of Parliament for Oshawa and Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Industry, said "Canada offers the essential elements for a vibrant auto industry: strategic location as a gateway to the North American market, and an ideal climate for continued investment. Today's announcement reflects that confidence in our country and our auto industry."

Oshawa Mayor John Gray said “creating a positive investment climate in Oshawa and Durham Region has helped attract important new opportunities like the Camaro program.” Durham Regional Chair Roger Anderson noted “working together to create a competitive local investment environment is the right thing to do for industry.”

The C$740 million investment completes GM Canada’s Beacon project announcement in March 2005 and adds the new Camaro product mandate for Oshawa. This announcement brings GM Canada’s total investment since March 2005 to more than $3 billion.

Headquartered in Oshawa Ontario, General Motors of Canada employs more than 20,000 people nationwide. GM of Canada manufactures a variety of vehicles, engines, transmissions and other components, and markets the full range of General Motors vehicles and related services through 759 dealerships and retailers across Canada. Vehicles sold through this network include Chevrolet, Buick, Pontiac, GMC, Saturn, Hummer, Saab and Cadillac.

Further information
General Motors of Canada Limited
Stew Low
(905) 644-6786

Patty Faith
(905) 644-2728
[email protected]

- Frost Grn, x11, 350 4bbl, COMPCam XE256H, Crane XR-i HEI, M20, posi, Flowmaster 2.5";

You can live in your car, but you can't drive your house.
chuck69ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 21st, 06, 03:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Talking Re: Camaro returns to Canada

Well at least it's not going to be built in Mexico. I would have liked to see it manufactured in the USA but there is nothing wrong with it being built in Canada. At least workers and community will appricaite the jobs that GM is providing, they have all come together to land it. My hats off to them!! I hope they all want it to be the best and show that on the assemblyline. Quality is engineered but it's also a state of mind and way of life.
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Joe Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 1st, 06, 07:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Re: Camaro returns to Canada

The facility at Oshawa will be very good for the Camaro. I have toured their site and been a supplier of Flat rolled steel to them for years. They have an experienced work force and quality is their hallmark. I only hope the "Musclecar" tag will not kill them for insurance purposes. I am waiting with extreme hope that this version will be as nice or better than the orginal 60s cars. I have to say the new Mustang gave me a sick feeling in my stomach when I saw how cool it was, and there was nothing from GM to answer it. If you have a minute check out the Saleen site, and picture one of the new Camaros with his treatment. Excuse me I have to go clean my pants!
Old Sep 1st, 06, 08:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Tech

What Saleen website are you referring to Stewie? I don't see anything on http://www.saleen.com/

The Camaro they prepped for the upcoming Transformers movie is on this website: http://michiganclassics.com/

67 Camaro RS/SS L78 /
Old Sep 2nd, 06, 12:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Tech

I saw a display of all of Saleen's stuff at Woodward avenue last year. I was amazed at how nice they can trick out the stock mustang. I am hoping that GM will give you some options to really make it pop.
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in