First time on the drag strip - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old May 1st, 11, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Todd

First time on the drag strip

Went out to the Super Chevy show this weekend and autocrossed on Saturday and drag raced on Sunday. I have to say, drag racing was alot more fun than I expected. I only got 3 runs and my car is set up to turn but I'm happy with the results. I'm sure with some more seat time, I can drip the ET. My 60 foot times are horrible but I was making it up on the big end.

I'm definitely going back to do some drag racing. Happy to hear any insight from the guys that drag around here on how I can improve my times.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old May 1st, 11, 07:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Re: First time on the drag strip

Nice runs and very consistent

I couldn't tell from the video - were you doing a wet burn out?
I learned with my drag radials that the tread can carry water out of the burnout box to the staring line and cause some wheel spin. Next time go around the water and try a short dry burn out and see if that helps.....

I ended up with a set of cheap rims with M/T slicks for track days.

67 new build alum. 406 | 69 RS/SS 496 631 HP / 618 TQ | 73 Z28 Survivor 36k miles | 89 IROC Z 2500 miles | 02 SS 35th Anniv. LE 645 miles |11 SS Berger 550HP (1 of 25) | 14 ZL1 6M Recaros
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old May 1st, 11, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Todd

I was doing a wet burnout in 1st gear at about 6k. I noticed no real tire smoke in the videos. Maybe I should burn out in 2nd(TKO 600) for more wheel speed. It was my first time so I didn't want to make a fool of myself. The r888 is really a road race tire so I'm not sure how low I can go on the 60 foot but I'll let you know.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 11, 08:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

Funny how infectious drag racing can be.
It might be the first time with that car on the track but I get the feeling you ain't no newbie to the digs. Steadily reducing RT's and better ET's. I think you'll get that baby in the very low 11's or high 10's with a little work.
Good Job!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 11, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Good results and you can practice to improve.
More soeed is needed to heat tires, 2nd gear would be good, 3rd maybe.
Practice.
The idea is to bring up the rpm's to an acceptable value, say 4K and hold.
Practice.
When engine loads up, rpm lowers, release. clean tires, proceed to stage.
Practice.
Road race tires are noit the best drag tires, but will work.
Practice.
Pick a spot on the tree to go to reduce reaction time.
Practice.
Learn the speed shift - adjust clutch or add a clutch stop just enough to release power for gear change to next gear.

Did I mention Practice?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 11, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Todd

Thanks guys.... I did get some advice from Sal at TCI that has drag raced on the R888 with his car. He said they need to be super hot to stick out of the hole. I may need to left foot brake it and burn out in second. I have a 275 spring out back so I'm not sure how good it will stick regardless. I do plan to send my trans in to liberty for the ungraded synchros and polished shafts for better shifting. Mine is really notching now, especially the 1-2 gear. I bet it's costing me a .1 or .2. It was just fun to improve and experience it for the first time. I'll be back at it soon and will update you guys...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 11, 04:56 PM
eric

Very cool. What tranny & clutch are you running? The more you can help your 60 foot time makes a huge difference in et. Thanks Eric
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 11, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Todd

Eric, I have a stock TKO 600 and a McLeod RXT.(1000hp clutch) I road race and that's also brutal on a clutch.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 11, 05:07 PM
eric

I have a 67 Camaro that I drag race pretty often. I also enjoy autocross & I drive it alot. I would love to do a manual tranny. A lot of guys have good luck with the McLeod clutch.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 11, 05:11 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Great MPH and fun as all get out ain't it

Get your 60's down and the rest will follow.

PS: look at my ET/MPH below.... you should be there soon

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 11, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Todd

I'd be thrilled with an 11.30. You look to have me covered with your setup. The auto has to be worth a .2.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 11, 08:26 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

I haven't raced my 69 yet, but with my Z06 I used to left foot brake and just held it there until the nitto drag radials billowed smoke. Seems the hotter I got them the better they hooked. The vette would wheel hop badly if the clutch was dumped, so I had to slip the clutch out at about 3500. My best 60 was in the 1.8x range. That 1.9 is pretty good on a car not set up to drag. I tried 2nd gear burnout in my Z but it bogged real bad while trying to power brake it. I will hit the strip at the power tour this year, but hope to get a few runs in at the local strip before then just to get a feel for how the 69 will act. Just got it on the road a few weeks ago. Do you stay in 2nd on the autocross, or do you have to shift at times? I left my 67 in 1st (4L60E & 3.42's) the entire time at last years power tour autocross, but it was a short track. It had a hairpin where i know I'd have too go down to 1st in my 69. Enjoyed the drag race vid!
Scott

69 RS LS3/T56
68 Firebird vert LS1/4L60E
67 RS LS2/T56
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 11, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Todd

I was playing with some calculators last night and my 1.9 60 foot was good for a 14 second car. Who knows how accurate those calculations are. I launched at 3k and feathered it a little. I don't think I would suffer from any wheel hop. I had all the compression out of the rear shocks. It took off nice and smooth.

Most autocrosses I run in 2nd gear. Only the small venues like a good guys and the Super Chevy show this weekend required me to run in 1st. I actually won the Autocross on Saturday. I got 27 runs in 2 hours!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 11, 02:44 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Cool....Congrats on the win

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 11, 09:31 AM
Team Member
Don

Hey Todd. Congratulations on building a car that not only looks badazz but IS badazz. Not too many out there that can make that claim.

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode