69 Lsx with Polished Aluminum Stripes - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 11, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Gary

69 Lsx with Polished Aluminum Stripes

Got the 69 Lsx running and to a couple of shows in the last few weeks, had a lot of people think the stripes are chrome paint, but they are Polished Aluminum. The Aluminum front end, bumpers, and trunk deck lid are from Auto Metal Direct. We fabricated the replica Aluminum Spoiler so the stripes would look factory correct. It is powered by a carbureted LS engine, 4 speed Muncie M21, and Moser 9" Rear End, Paint is Sherwin Williams "Best of Barret Jackson collection - Planet Color" Big Bad Orange, suspension is coil overs up front and an AirRide Tech 4 link rear and its got an 8 track player, starting to get a few beak-in miles on her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6807.JPG
Views:	379
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	22774   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6808.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	22775   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6800.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	22776  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6801.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	22782  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 11, 05:03 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: 69 Lsx with Polished Aluminum Stripes

WOW .... hows the glare off that polished aluminum ?
Very different

Looks great

And welcome to TC

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 11, 05:21 AM
Senior Tech

love it.a very super cool car .how did you do the stripes that's neat? those stripes are bad & i like them & i love the look & stance of car.you did a super job on everything.thanks for sharing pics.duh i answered my own ? front end is aluminum.sometimes im a lot slow at picking up on stuff sorry.i just needed to read a little slower

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 11, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Probationer
Gary

Actually, I have't noticed a glare from the stripes when driving it. The windshield came with a light tint and I wear polaroids. I would assume the guy behind me gets some glare off the spoiler stripes and the bumper but I stay pretty busy watching the road in front of me. The only original parts left on the car are the roof, rocker panels, and door frames. The Aluminum package is about a 40% higher retail cost than steel. The hood, deck lid, header panel, and bumpers are basically bolt on replacements.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 11, 02:28 PM
Senior Tech
mark

I had always wondered if someone could do something like this with stainless steel. had not thought of aluminum. its a great idea that looks amazing. congratulation. so did you polish it cover it then paint the red. or is it painted with clear so you dont have to polish again. maybe you already answere and I did not notice because I was too busy looking the the photos. mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 11, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Gary

The Stripes were polished and taped off, then the normal Sherwin Williams primer/ paint/ clear process (The Planet Color Barrett Jackson "25" series is a two stage product, using their Ultra 7000 primer). There is no clear on the stripes, just polished aluminum, but a hand painted pin stripe blends the edges. The paint color looks like Hugger Orange inside but has pearl in it and shines outdoors. The hood, fenders, header panel, valence, trunk Deck Lid and bumpers are aluminum. The underside of the Hood and Trunk Lid are polished also.
Gary
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 11, 03:16 AM
Tech Team
Jon

That looks cool!

Jon
My 72 Chevy Vega

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Garage Journal Build Thread:

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 11, 09:27 PM
Senior Tech
Sam

Gorgeous car. Love the polished aluminum.

Sam
Northern, UT
'68 Camaro
'56 210 2dr HT Chevy
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 11, 07:34 PM
BA.
Gold Lifetime Member
Allan

really nice car man - congrats.

69 RS - LS7, T56, Currie, DSE, ATS, Vintage Air, Wilwood
Original floor/trunk. Under construction.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 11, 07:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Very nice! Reminds me of the stripes they had on AirRide's Velocity camaro. How often do you have to polish them? Could you clear them? I can imagine all the people looking and asking if it's chrome! lol

68 Camaro SS... getting there!!
"If happiness is in your destiny, you need not be in a hurry."
If I can only convince myself of this!

My slooow build thread
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 11, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Gary

Thanks for the compliments. Actually, we supplied a short term replacement aluminum cowl hood for the Velocity Camaro and they did a "Brushed" finish on the stripes that matched the brushed steel stripes on the Header panel very close. The four link rear Airwave suspension is Ridetech. Once the initial machine polishing is complete, maintenance is pretty much the same as any other polished aluminum piece such as wheels, radiatior support, etc. (hand polishing with Mothers, etc. but very little elbow grease is needed). We tried clear coating a set of bumpers and it didn't come out well, however I do have a set of aluminum bumpers I had chrome plated that look great. And yes, quite a few people think it is chrome paint until they see the underside of the polished hood that is left natural Aluminum.
Gary
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 11, 09:22 AM
Senior Tech
Matt

Very different man... love it.

I can see those pics are from Nashville show, and I was there and remember looking at your car. Definitely turned some heads with the stripes. I actually found my car there at the show! Bought it from a guy down in Dallas who was up for the show that weekend. Went down to TX two weeks later and bought it.

'69 Camaro 350 / T56 Magnum / 10-Bolt
Built rear & 4-link coming soon...

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 11, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Gary

Thanks for the compliments and congrats on finding your car at the Nashville show. The hood on the Camaro is a 2" Cowl Induction with the underside polished. We are working on polishing a 4" version to allow a bigger K&N Air Filter for better air flow. It is looking pretty impressive, hopefully complete this week. The Car is currently on display on a turntable at Summit Racing in South Atlanta during August, would like to put the 4" on before we pick it up.
Gary
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 11, 04:20 AM
Senior Tech

Wow. That's different. Nice.

So the bumpers are aluminum AMD, that you polished?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 11, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Gary

Yes,
The bumpers are AMD that are polished, produces a nice shine, lightweight and no rust.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode