Leaf springs vs. coil-over - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 11, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Leaf springs vs. coil-over

I asked this in Suspensions, but this one may be more appropriate.

For those that have switched over to coil-over rear suspensions... Hows the ride, compared to leaf springs?

My ride is a street car, I hit the track maybe 1 time a year. There are a lot of choices to rear upgrades, and many of them use coil-over setups. I just don't want to be disappointed in the ride quality if I were to switch over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 11, 07:46 AM
Senior Tech
gary

Re: Leaf springs vs. coil-over

I also would like to know if the 4-Link would make a lot of difference. I would like to do about 3 Autocross's per year, so I'm not sure if it's worth the investment. The ride quality and precise control of the rear are supposed to be the advantages. I wish someone local had a car with a good 4-Link setup so I could take a drive!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 11, 10:32 AM
Team Member
Don

I have G-Bar with coilovers and I can say that I prefer the ride over the leafs. Wheel hop seems to be a thing of the past. However, that said I can say that proper spring rate selection is key. You also have to make sure that the coilover shock travel is centered (+/- 10 or so) at ride height. You do not have the flexibility of ride height that some think is available with coilovers.

If you check out Todd's posts (Vegas69) on lateral-g.net you will learn quite a lot about his experiences with his G-Bar.

Don

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 11, 01:30 PM
Senior Tech

I know this is an old post, I couldn't help myself. I own a 67 pro-tour and a 69 pro-tour. the 67 has a complete DSE 3 inch drop leaf set up. It drives like a truck! The 69 has the quadralink 4 bar or should I say 5 bar counting the panhard bar. Its awesome, the ride is phenominal and the car is so well balanced. Any 4 link, torque arm, 3 link will be a better ride. The leafs are stiff, yes you can make them handle but it still rides like crap.

my two cents- Rich
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 11, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Thanks Don and Rich, good to know
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 11, 09:13 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ragtp View Post
I know this is an old post, I couldn't help myself. I own a 67 pro-tour and a 69 pro-tour. the 67 has a complete DSE 3 inch drop leaf set up. It drives like a truck! The 69 has the quadralink 4 bar or should I say 5 bar counting the panhard bar. Its awesome, the ride is phenominal and the car is so well balanced. Any 4 link, torque arm, 3 link will be a better ride. The leafs are stiff, yes you can make them handle but it still rides like crap.

my two cents- Rich
Composite leafs will address a lot of the ride issues with leaf springs.

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode