loose my chrome - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 11, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Britt

loose my chrome

I restored my 67 old school for the most part save for the TKO600 5 speed, disc brakes, 383 (cracked original block). I've made other minor deviations and now look to make more upgrades. I want to get rid of as much chrome as possible starting w/the windshield/window trim. Any one know of a way to replace the chrome trim w/ a black modern trim? Hoping for a modified clip that would allow a black rubber or whatever trim to snap into, I really don't want to be stuck painting my existing trim. Also I removed the front bumper but don't know how to handle the back one. I'll keep the one chrome driver's side mirror, door handles and the manual window cranks, that sort of stuff along w/my vent windows are time travel provoking. 17" black rims, xenon lights, racing seats, roll bars and suspension upgrades, etc. to be discussed later.
Thank's for any help,
I hate chrome.

full rotisserie restro, all new sheet metal finished in black glass, voodoo cursed 383 stroker, TKO600 5 speed, four wheel disk, AC, other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 11, 07:41 AM
Senior Tech

Re: loose my chrome

Good thing ya missed the 50's and some of the 60's... you'd have to been blindfolded to get through the day. Good luck on your quest "purify" your Cam.

capt

Bumper sticker- I'm not SPEEDING
I'm QUALIFYING!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 11, 09:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

The rear bumper is held on with 5 brackets. I just taped off the area around the brackets with some painters tape, removed the bolts and pulled off the bumper and brackets as a unit.

You could just have you existing trim powder coated black, or paint yourself, that would be the easy way.

I know some of the guys over at protouring.com have flush mounted their front and back windows, and then used a black rubber surround. And BelAirBob did it to his on this site. You could shoot him a PM and ask what he used for the black surround around his windshield. He probably sells it on his site. https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...sh+mount+glass

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 11, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Britt

thanks rally, I saw that guy's link somewhere but lost it, $3000 for his window set up if I remember. i'll check him out on trim anyway. powder coating panting the front/rear window trim won't be an option for me, I need to find something better and will fabricate it my self if I have to. I'm hoping to locate a source for a custom shaved & fitted matte black rear bumper or maybe just powder coat existing or not...would be prone and bound to chip at some point.

full rotisserie restro, all new sheet metal finished in black glass, voodoo cursed 383 stroker, TKO600 5 speed, four wheel disk, AC, other stuff

Last edited by maggie67rs; Aug 18th, 11 at 02:37 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 11, 03:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie67rs View Post
thanks rally, I saw that guy's link somewhere but lost it, $3000 for his window set up if I remember. i'll check him out on trim anyway. powder coating panting the front/rear window trim won't be an option for me, I need to find something better and will fabricate it my self if I have to. I'm hoping to locate a source for a custom shaved & fitted matte black rear bumper or maybe just powder coat existing or not...would be prone and bound to chip at some point.
You might be able to find some rubber trim that will tuck right into the channel. You could always visit a local windshield installer and see what they have for stock.

If you media blast the bumper and then powder coat it, I think it would be pretty durable. Aintqik is powder coating his rear bumper. I don't know if it's done yet, but you could ask him. He's got a thread here it ProTouring
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 11, 12:36 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Do you also hate black chrome?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 11, 05:49 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

I've seen folks plasti-dip their chrome and it looked good and has lasted 3 years so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Then: N/A, 436 ci, Stock Block, Track 1's, Stock Suspension, Ranchos, 3250 lbs... 1.33 60 ft / 9.69 @ 138 mph
Now: Boost...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 11, 09:24 PM
Senior Tech
Sam

I have spent the last two weeks flushing the rear glass. Will start the front next week. It is a ton of work but, for me it is the best looking of the options. I started with using the original glass but didn't like that the old trim had etched grooves all around my window. So, I bought aftermarket glass. I am glad I bought it before I got too far along because the aftermarket stuff was smaller than original. If I had finished flushing with original glass I would have had to redo it all for the new glass. I really love the look though. Friends stock rear window.

My rear window.

A car from the internet. I think it is that oversized glass with rubber trim.

Sam
Northern, UT
'68 Camaro
'56 210 2dr HT Chevy
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 11, 09:27 PM
Senior Tech
Sam

I meant to post this picture for my rear window. Sorry for the iphone quality.

Sam
Northern, UT
'68 Camaro
'56 210 2dr HT Chevy
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 11, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Britt

here's a couple of sites for flush mount glass kits that supposedly don't require any body modification. nothing yet on a modern molding for standard glass.
http://classicautoglassinnovations.com/
http://www.classicindustries.com/cam...s/fm6769g.html

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 11, 08:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie67rs View Post
here's a couple of sites for flush mount glass kits that supposedly don't require any body modification. nothing yet on a modern molding for standard glass.
http://classicautoglassinnovations.com/
http://www.classicindustries.com/cam...s/fm6769g.html
I believe that first site belongs to a guy over on protouring.com named Robert ( Iamtheonlyreal1). He's done some nice stuff over there.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 11, 12:15 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

I also went through a phase of not appreciating the almighty chrome but have since gotten over it so there's still hope for you (just kiddin).

How 'bout anodizing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode