Future of Pro Touring?? - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 11, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Monty

Future of Pro Touring??

I have thought a lot about how to pose this question without ruffling feathers and it is certainly not meant to offend. I can see quite a few advantages of a pro touring type car as far as better handling, brakes, reliability etc. and not ruling out this type of build for my 69. I am awestruck at some of the builds I have seen. My question is will this style eventually become less popular? Some styles seem to stand the test of time and some don't. You don't see as many of the cool Pro Street cars as before but there are still some around. Those crazy paint jobs of the later 70s and 80s seem to be gone pretty much. Well done original looking cars always seem to be crowd pleasers. Opinions welcome!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 11, 06:17 AM
Kevin

Re: Future of Pro Touring??

pro-touring is getting lumped into the new term resto-mod which means, retains most of the stock look with modern drivetrains and upgrades, most have aftermarket rims and tires. Resto-mods hold up very well at auction and should stand the test of time. The trailer queens with radial tires only appeal to a select crowd (but nice to look at!). resto-mods that drive like modern cars are very popular!

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 11, 06:20 AM
Senior Tech
Ray

I believe the biggest shift in the industry is the fact people want to drive the car not just look at them in their garage. Be it Pro-Touring, Resto-Mod or some other name of the future I think people will always be taking the old bodies and putting in newer features and comfort.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 11, 06:34 AM
Kevin

Ray, completely agree. I am taking a little slice of both stock and resto-mod. My car is completely stock except for upgrades that do not show (poly bushings in rear and sub), agressive alignment radial tires on stock rims and a 200r4 trans. I try to get the most modern driving experience with a stock config. Not as nice handling as the upper range of resto-mod, but so far so good!

Kevin

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 11, 08:12 AM
Senior Tech
Todd

Once you go protouring, you never go back.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 11, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Monty

Cool, it seems most lines of thought are similar to mine. I would say what I have in mind would more fit the term resto-mod. Looking at an LS3 and overdrive in the future as well as some suspension upgrades. We definately can incorporate some of the protouring principles into our rides and benefit from it.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 11, 08:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

I think you will see some branching of the hobby to some degree. A lot of "regular folks" want to have a good looking car that they can drive and get all the looks. This type of hobbyist might want some of the comforts and dependability for longer range driving, and is more interested in performance and maybe a little individualism rather than pedigree. On the other side of the coin will remain the purists and collectors, who still get excited over a car with original parts still intact, and love to argue of minute details like correct finishes, clips, etc. Some are fortunate enough to have the ability to own both types of vehicles. I think the high end collector cars might show some minor price fluctuations through the years, but they will always be relatively popular, as the folks who can afford cars like this for a collection are usually not as severely affected by economic downturns. I think the jury is still out on the staying power of the pro touring cars, but the fact that they are usually much more driveable than the older Pro Street cars, they have a better chance to stand the test of time.

1967 RS/SS 350 Conv - triple black, 4sp, tach & gauges

1969 VN-built RS/SS 396 Conv - Garnet Red/Black, 4-sp, tach & gauges
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 11, 10:47 AM
Senior Tech
John

Agree with RSSSfanatic. There are some, me included, that feel if you have a great piece of unmolested history, keep it in that condition. However, if your car is no longer close to original, do what you want with it. Resto-mod is going to be around for a long time.

I won't cut mine up (tubs, roll cage, etc) but I thinking of going with full modern running gear. Remember, it only looses/gains value if you sell it. If you plan on keeping it forever, make it a car you want to keep.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 11, 11:46 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

This is only my opinion and at least one guy on here will disagree with me but if you want to safely drive your car some upgrades have to be made. Anyone can make 400 hp these days and my manual drum brakes weren't even close to being able to stop like a soccer mom mobile. I just went to a show where just about every muscle car I saw had front disc brakes and big rims. I looked under the back and there were drums. No aftermarket suspension. Two years ago they had 14" rims. They weren't pro-touring and they were barely resto-mod but they weren't original either. Not a big deal though so they can sell the original parts in the trunk.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 11, 06:22 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

This probably sounds strange, but even though I'd like the safety and reliablility of a newer car, I don't want it to feel like a new car. I want the whole old muscle car driving experience. If I wanted to drive a new car, I guess I'd just get a 10 year old or so Vette or Firebird and be done with it. I like that raw old car feel.

One foot in the grave, the other on a banana peel. . .
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 11, 08:26 AM
Senior Tech
Todd

That will never happen Mike. Even with modern supsension, brakes, drivetrain, they are still naturally raw cars.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 11, 07:31 PM
Senior Tech
Hotchkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
I have thought a lot about how to pose this question without ruffling feathers and it is certainly not meant to offend. I can see quite a few advantages of a pro touring type car as far as better handling, brakes, reliability etc. and not ruling out this type of build for my 69. I am awestruck at some of the builds I have seen. My question is will this style eventually become less popular? Some styles seem to stand the test of time and some don't. You don't see as many of the cool Pro Street cars as before but there are still some around. Those crazy paint jobs of the later 70s and 80s seem to be gone pretty much. Well done original looking cars always seem to be crowd pleasers. Opinions welcome!!

Monty - True Pro-Street cars with huge rear rubber and small front runners became less popular over the years because there were limitations to their practicality. The Pro-Touring cars or Restomods are more practical in the sense that typically you can drive them just about anywhere anytime. They go fast, stop fast, and perform great driving around corners. This build style will be around for a long time because it just makes sense. Of course this is just our opinion mixed with experience in the business.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 11, 08:13 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

I think we will see PT/Resto mod car around for a long time. I think what we will not see as much of is the high $$$ PT builds. They will be around but not in the numbers they have been the last few years. I think the part that have come about and are being mass produced from these cars will aid in lower dollar builds that the average car guy can afford. IE control arms, they are avaialbe in many different price ranges and vary in styles and type from DSE to made in China copies.....just like intake manifolds, distributors, rockers etc.

I also think the big massive wheel thing is playing out. We are seeing more cars built with more resonable tire and wheel combo's and some people are down sizing back to something more resonable. I see improved Camaros being the norm weather it be brakes and suspension with some added H/P or full blown modern drive trains with coil over conversions and 4 links in the rear. I just see these being done and leaving the cars in a more of stock configuration and not the crazy mods of the last few years. I thnk paint job will be subjective and follow some trends....one that is played out in my opinion is the flat look.

These are just some things I have noticed or think will happen.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode