Hotchkis 3" drop leaf springs - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 11, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

Hotchkis 3" drop leaf springs

Hey everyone, is anyone using Hotchkis 3" drop leaf springs on a 67-68 Camaro? I'm trying to decide on if I should go 1.5" or 3".

Thanks,
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 11, 06:02 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: Hotchkis 3" drop leaf springs

These are Global West L16 1.5" drop and about a 2-2.5" drop in the front. 3" would put it in the weeds and (to me) be tough to balance out the front. Now, I don't know how the '68 arch dimension compares to a '69.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 11, 07:09 PM
Senior Tech
Jeremiah

I have ran the Hotchkis 1.5" drop leafs on my last two cars with 1.5" blocks added to lower the car to the right stance. I thought about going with the 3" drop leafs on my current car but I like being able to tune the ride hight with the blocks.

69 Z/28, red/white stripe, black houndstoot with docs.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 11, 07:15 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

^^^

That's kinda what I was thinking. You can get a 1.5" spring lower but can't get a 3" spring higher.

I should add that I had to use 6 degree shims to get my pinion angle correct which might've added a little more drop. It's a big friggin' shim.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 11, 08:21 PM
Senior Tech
Kurt

Hey Steiner,
What size wheels and tires ya' have there?
It looks like ya' have 18's or so on the rear and 17's up front.

Kurt
1969RS 14yrs into it.
383CID Lives
200R4 Trans, 3:42 Posi 12 Bolt Ready

Cold ones in the fridge. Dam, there gone. BRB

Getting closer to my goal.

post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 11, 09:07 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Kurt, they're 17x8 and 17x9.5.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 11, 09:27 PM
Senior Tech
Kurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
Kurt, they're 17x8 and 17x9.5.
Interesting,
I finally have my ride sittin on all four for the 1st time in 9 yrs.
Hotchkis 1-1/2" rear leafs and 2" front coils on the same wheel sizes as yours and with Nitto's front and rears.
Of course she is still gutted and in final mock up stages but my ride seems to sit higher in the rear and lower up front a bit.
I have thrown some extra weight in the trunk to try to simulate the normal extra weight (Less a tank of gas) Didn't seem to make much of a difference for the rear stance.
Currently I have about 1-1/2" from the top of the rear tire to the rear wheel well lip.
Guess I will find out for sure if I like my stance when she is all put back together.

Kurt
1969RS 14yrs into it.
383CID Lives

post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 11, 09:29 PM
Senior Tech
Kurt

Ohh, and one more thing Steiner,

Your ride looks bitchin awesome.

Kurt
1969RS 14yrs into it.
383CID Lives

post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 11, 10:00 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Hey, thanks a lot. Try taking the rear shocks off, loosening the front eye bolts. and loosening all four shackle bolts for a while. I left mine like that for a few weeks with the axle on stands while doing other stuff.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 11, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt
Interesting,
I finally have my ride sittin on all four for the 1st time in 9 yrs.
Hotchkis 1-1/2" rear leafs and 2" front coils on the same wheel sizes as yours and with Nitto's front and rears.
Of course she is still gutted and in final mock up stages but my ride seems to sit higher in the rear and lower up front a bit.
I have thrown some extra weight in the trunk to try to simulate the normal extra weight (Less a tank of gas) Didn't seem to make much of a difference for the rear stance.
Currently I have about 1-1/2" from the top of the rear tire to the rear wheel well lip.
Guess I will find out for sure if I like my stance when she is all put back together.
Thanks for replying Kurt. I'll have to keep that in mind when doing the install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
I have ran the Hotchkis 1.5" drop leafs on my last two cars with 1.5" blocks added to lower the car to the right stance. I thought about going with the 3" drop leafs on my current car but I like being able to tune the ride hight with the blocks.
Jeremiah good point about being able to have some adjustabity by going with 1.5" drop leafs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
Hey, thanks a lot. Try taking the rear shocks off, loosening the front eye bolts. and loosening all four shackle bolts for a while. I left mine like that for a few weeks with the axle on stands while doing other stuff.
Steiner, sweet ride. Thanks for responding and sharing the experience and tips. I will be ordering Hotchkis 1.5 drop leafs. I hope I can get the balanced look you have. Are you running coil overs or coil springs in the front?

Thanks,
Tony
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 11, 03:55 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyvol View Post

Steiner, sweet ride. Thanks for responding and sharing the experience and tips. I will be ordering Hotchkis 1.5 drop leafs. I hope I can get the balanced look you have. Are you running coil overs or coil springs in the front?

Thanks,
Tony

Regular coil springs.....Eibach 1" lower coils and Bilstein shocks with SPC lower arms that are supposed to have another 1" drop built in.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 11, 03:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by camsdad View Post
ohh, and one more thing steiner,

your ride looks bitchin awesome.

x2!

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 11, 04:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I saw Steiner's car at a show a couple of weeks ago, didn't know it was his at the time. A very sweet ride indeed.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 11, 09:31 AM
Senior Tech
Matt

Love the stance Steiner! I agree... might be the best idea to get the 1.5" drop leafs and if you decide to drop some more, add the blocks. Just going straight to the 3" drop may lead to you not liking it and buying all new leafs, etc.

'69 Camaro 350 / T56 Magnum / 10-Bolt
Built rear & 4-link coming soon...

post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 11, 10:16 AM
Senior Tech
Hotchkis

Adding lowering block is an inexpensive way to adjust your ride height and a great way to do it if you’re trying to gain the perfect stance. Just be careful because moving the axle centerline further away from the spring can induce wheel hope because the axle housing gets more leverage to twist the leaf spring.

Here’s Carl Casanova’s ’68 with our 3” drop leaf springs in the rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode