ls-2 maybe a bad idea - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 11, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
robert
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: cool ridge wva
Posts: 228
ls-2 maybe a bad idea

Can't catch a break, No idea when I took a wrong turn. Maybe some one out there can tell me where I went wrong.
68 camaro,stock clip,327 engine stands,energy suspension (short) mounts,third gen steering box, ls-2, autocraft pan, street&performance mounts, stainless works headers.
The first problem, headers sit on top of the box if I raise the motor 3/8 off the mount I can get them to bolt on.
Second problem at full turn the inner tie rods hit the oil pan.
From what Im told these parts should all work together but they don't.
Im ready to sell all of it and build a stroker first gen motor I know that stuff will all bolt in.
Robert
bobcat68rs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 11, 08:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Walla Walla, WA
Posts: 4,324
Re: ls-2 maybe a bad idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat68rs View Post
Can't catch a break, No idea when I took a wrong turn. Maybe some one out there can tell me where I went wrong.
68 camaro,stock clip,327 engine stands,energy suspension (short) mounts,third gen steering box, ls-2, autocraft pan, street&performance mounts, stainless works headers.
The first problem, headers sit on top of the box if I raise the motor 3/8 off the mount I can get them to bolt on.
Second problem at full turn the inner tie rods hit the oil pan.
From what Im told these parts should all work together but they don't.
Im ready to sell all of it and build a stroker first gen motor I know that stuff will all bolt in.
Robert
First off - having tried to find a picture of the S&P mounting plates - let me say that I've always hated the Street & Performance web site - it is the most user unfriendly commercial site I've ever encountered. They could really improve their sales if they figured out a way to make their catalog better.

That said, take a look at this post: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showpo...92&postcount=8

So far as I can tell, the S&P mounts are similar to the Moroso/DSE plates - that is, the bottom motor mount bolt is also used to secure the adapter plate to the engine. This is the most forward of the mounting positions used by any of the big guys, and may be the source of your tie rod issue.

Hooker and Edelbrock plates lift the engine a bit and move it back in the chassis a bit, but by a fixed amount, which may or may not cause firewall issues.

The Doug's adapter plates (http://www.jegs.com/i/Doug%26%23039%...SK100/10002/-1) offer you both an intermediate position between the Hooker/DSE forward-most position and the Hooker/Edelbrock rear-most position - as well as the Hooker/Edelbrock rear-most position - and also raise the engine slightly.

Good luck. Don't give up on the LS2 - everyone who's gone LSx just loves the engines.

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mkelcy is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 11, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
robert
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: cool ridge wva
Posts: 228
Re: ls-2 maybe a bad idea

I agree with there site it's terrible. Stainless and [email protected] said I needed these plates to have everything work.I reached out to Frank but have not heard back yet. And forget about any help from stainless they told me the headers would work in stock location(holley stock location mounts) and would allow the use of z-bar not even close.To be clear they called it a neutral position mount which they call stock location.
As far as a picture of there mounts Frank has them on his site.I did check out the links you provided before I ordered everything, I thought I had chosen wisely.
Robert
bobcat68rs is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 11, 10:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Walla Walla, WA
Posts: 4,324
Re: ls-2 maybe a bad idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat68rs View Post
I agree with there site it's terrible. Stainless and [email protected] said I needed these plates to have everything work.I reached out to Frank but have not heard back yet. And forget about any help from stainless they told me the headers would work in stock location(holley stock location mounts) and would allow the use of z-bar not even close.To be clear they called it a neutral position mount which they call stock location.
As far as a picture of there mounts Frank has them on his site.I did check out the links you provided before I ordered everything, I thought I had chosen wisely.
Robert
You might want to look at your motor mounts (maybe go to the tall/narrow mounts) and/or frame stands. There's a thread on LS1 Tech where someone has used virtually your exact combination: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...-upgrades.html Maybe that will help.

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mkelcy is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 11, 07:01 PM
Senior Tech
Scott
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 581
Garage
Re: ls-2 maybe a bad idea

There is also a company on ebay called Dirty Dingo that has some slotted adjustable mounts that allows the motor to be slid forward or back as needed. I just bought a set but have not gotten that far on the install. I have yet to buy headers so that is still up in the air. I just like the idea of the adjustablilty if I need it. The minute you drive the car with the LS2 it will all be worth it...
Scott

69 RS LS3/T56
68 Firebird vert LS1/4L60E
67 RS LS2/T56
Z06vette is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 11, 06:40 PM
Senior Tech
Jerry
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Rockwell, NC
Posts: 112
Re: ls-2 maybe a bad idea

[quote=Mkelcy;1632012]let me say that I've always hated the Street & Performance web site - it is the most user unfriendly commercial site I've ever encountered. They could really improve their sales if they figured out a way to make their catalog better.
QUOTE]

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06vette View Post
There is also a company on ebay called Dirty Dingo that has some slotted adjustable mounts that allows the motor to be slid forward or back as needed. I just bought a set but have not gotten that far on the install. I have yet to buy headers so that is still up in the air. I just like the idea of the adjustablilty if I need it. The minute you drive the car with the LS2 it will all be worth it...
Scott
I installed the Dirty Dingo mounts on my LS1 for my '77 Camaro. I thought they were well made and the adjustability was definitely a plus. And you will love the LS motor. It was definitely worth it.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=196384

www.jerryforthofer.wordpress.com

1964 Corvette Coupe, 327/365HP, Muncie close ratio 4 speed, Posi 3:36 gears, PB, PS, PW, Soft Ray Tinted Glass, Back up lamps, Knock off wheels, AM-FM Radio


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jerhofer is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 11, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
robert
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: cool ridge wva
Posts: 228
Re: ls-2 maybe a bad idea

Well it turns out I have the right mounts and stands. But as my luck would have it the problem is with the headers. Just one of those things I guess, maybe it was the last set of the day? So here I am back to picking out a set of headers. I'm thinking I might give the budget friendly one's a go dynatech/hooker dark side's. I can get header to tail pipe for what I paid for the stainless. Any thoughts?
Thanks Robert
bobcat68rs is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 11, 07:10 AM
Senior Tech
LS pwr
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne, Fla
Posts: 153
Re: ls-2 maybe a bad idea

I like the Dynatechs myself. They fit great (just an issue with #5 & #7 wires), don't hang too low, and are good for the price.


TC

Uncle Sam Pilot
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


1968 Lemans Blue SS 'vert
LS2/4L70E
Link to my build site

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tango68SS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome