LS Engine and Muncie? - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 11, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

LS Engine and Muncie?

I would like to know if it is possible or what if anything you need to do to run a ls engine and a muncie 4 speed. Any info would be great. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 11, 07:19 PM
Senior Tech
Tony B

Re: LS Engine and Muncie?

yes it is... With enough money anything is.. Id start doing research, and seeing if I could find anything out about it. Then look at tranny companies, for custom bellhousings... Im sure it can be done..

Your vehicle details go here
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 11, 07:56 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

http://paceperformance.com/i-5146180...rsion-kit.html

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 11, 09:30 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

The 48 Hour Camaro originally was built with an LS motor and a Muncie M21 with Gear Vendor overdrive. The way they thrash on that car the M21 did not live but they did make it work. Check their web site for complete build videos and equipment lists.

http://48hourcamaro.com/

Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you! Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by Headshake; Nov 30th, 11 at 09:40 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 11, 08:29 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

If you have a "621" bellhousing, don't need to buy another one.

Key issue is potential conversion to hydraulic clutch. I used Doug's adapter plates and headers. I mounted the plates such that they move the engine forward 3/4 inch. I also used the SDCP clutch ball pivot bracket.

I need to clearance the #7 header tube for the z-bar arm, but it all fits in nicely.

1969 Camaro - Intense Blue Pearlcoat/white (Baldwin-Motion paint scheme), stock 6.2 liter L92 with VVT, LS3 intake, Doug's Headers; Tremec TKO, 3.73 12-bolt posi.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 11, 06:42 PM
Senior Tech
Jerry

I have a Richmond 6 speed with my LS1. The Richmond mounts exactly the same as a Muncie. I bought a Keisler bellhousing adapter and also used a SDPC clutch ball pivot adapter for my Z-Bar. Keisler also supplied the appropriate throw out bearing.

There is a protrusion on the side of the block where the pivot ball adapter mounts which must by partially ground off. I have Kooks headers.

www.jerryforthofer.wordpress.com

1964 Corvette Coupe, 327/365HP, Muncie close ratio 4 speed, Posi 3:36 gears, PB, PS, PW, Soft Ray Tinted Glass, Back up lamps, Knock off wheels, AM-FM Radio

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 12, 07:32 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

Jerry,

Your install looks nice. It is good to see others having success with the mechanical linkage. Everyone seems to go to the added expense of converting to hydro.

1969 Camaro - Intense Blue Pearlcoat/white (Baldwin-Motion paint scheme), stock 6.2 liter L92 with VVT, LS3 intake, Doug's Headers; Tremec TKO, 3.73 12-bolt posi.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 12, 08:23 PM
Senior Tech
Jerry

[Quote: Did you do the fab work on the z-bar? If not, where did you get it?

Also, what brand of headers are those? They look a little more z-bar friendly than the Dougs. The Doug's #7 cylinder tube comes almost straight down compared to your forward swept tube. Quote]

The Z bar was on my SBC when I got the car. The car was originally an automatic. Based on the condition of the Z bar and the clutch pedals inside the car, I am guessing everything was purchased at the same time.

The headers were made by Kooks. They used my car as a guinea pig for developing a set of LS headers for 2nd gen Camaro's. I was thinking of installing a hydraulic clutch but they asked me not to so they could have maximum obstructions when they designed the header. Nothing hits so they did a good job. The headers and the exhaust are stainless steel.

1964 Corvette Coupe, 327/365HP, Muncie close ratio 4 speed, Posi 3:36 gears, PB, PS, PW, Soft Ray Tinted Glass, Back up lamps, Knock off wheels, AM-FM Radio

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 12, 08:28 AM

Hey all great news if you are looking for performance parts

Checkout the new Partsworld Performance Shop.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 12, 01:47 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Jerry (and others)

What set-back motormounts are you using and what oil pan ?

I'm ready to make the leap to LSx

Just got my motor last nite. Needs a re-build, but I was looking for anyway to build to my specs
LQ4, adding forged flat tops, LS3 heads using a 23X/24X @ .050 cam, and a carb. (LY6 clone basicly)

Click image for larger version

Name:	LQ4.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	26164

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 12, 03:13 PM
Senior Tech

my understanding after looking into doign a 5.3 swap into my truck was that you could use pretty much any old school manual trans with an LS engine with a 6 bolt crank flange if you used a flywheel for an early(99-02 or so) 6.0 truck with a pilot bearing from an LS1 F body. you just use the same clutch and linkage setup that you would use with a regular old school V8 and a bellhousing that clears a big flywheel ring gear.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 12, 05:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I found this a while back on you tube, hope it helps. It gives you some part numbers for the swap.

Here is the parts info from the youtube page (in the comments)-
In this video I show you how to connect your original older 4 speed manual transmission such as a Borg Warner Super T10 or a Muncie M20/M21/M22 to your new LS Series engine you might want to swap into your car.
Part Numbers you need:
Sachs - Clutch Kit Part # K5552-03 from O'Reilly's
Note *(10 Spline clutch)
Sachs - Flywheel Part # NFW1050 from O'Reilly's
LS2/LS7 Pilot Bearing Part # : 57080 from O'Reilly's
Grade 8 Metric Bolts for pressure plate

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 12, 03:39 PM
Senior Tech

dude's got good taste in music, but i don't think i like the idea of leaving the pilot bearing half installed. i recall that there was an application that used a pilot bearing that stuck out 1/4" farther. and i don't like using pressure plate bolts that don't have a shoulder on them like proper pressure plate bolts have.. without the stock alignment pins, those bolts are holding all the power that the engine is pushing thru the clutch, and i'd rather not have that stress put on the threads.. and where does one get grade 8 metric bolts?
i'm sure it works, but i'd be interested to see how everything looks after 10,000 miles of use..

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 12, 01:04 PM
Tech Team
Hugh

Detroit Speed makes a clutch master cylinder bracket for your firewall. Speed Tech performance makes a heim joint adapter that connects your clutch rod to a 99-02 Camaro clutch master cylinder. You can then run a Mcleod (or similar) hydraulic throwout bearing on the trans side.
I looked at using my factory mechanical linkage with my LS3\T56 combination. In the long run, it will cost almost as much and is a PITA to get right.
As far as bellhousing, Quicktime makes one for your application. If you are not wanting to spend that much, i think the 621 Bellhousing is correct.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 12, 03:46 PM
Tech Team
Shafi

You should get the following from KEISLER:

1. Keisler Super Duty reproduction 621 bellhousing for LS ENGINE, with bellhousing mounting hardware, $249
2. pilot bearing for LS engine, $39
3. PerfectFit Hydraulic Clutch Actuator kit for MUNCIE M20/M21/M22 with everything needed for a perfect, no cutting fit, all premium parts, no circle track or plastic junk, $649; get the Ring Bros reservoir for the killer look.

I can add pics and links if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode