Cheapie control arms...don't shoot! - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 12, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Scott

Cheapie control arms...don't shoot!

Ok...someone is buying these, or there would not be a demand for them. Is anyone willing to admit to purchasing these or some like them?

http://www.kmjent.com/cart/home.php?cat=20164701

If so what was your experience with them? I'm a believer in "you get what you pay for" but I admit the price point is right on target..

Don't shoot .... Just looking for advise in the off chance someone is or has used a low budget brand like this with success.

Thank you for your input!

Scott

1969, 383ci - 486hp, 700r4 3000 lock up conv, hotchkis sway bars, 2.5" drop, Moser 12 bolt 373's, vintage air front runner, rear disk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 12, 07:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Re: Cheapie control arms...don't shoot!

Search in the Brakes and Suspension forum... put in the search window "ebay control arms" There are a few posts on this. Here is one....https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...y+control+arms

Here is one on KMJ...https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...y+control+arms

68 Camaro SS... getting there!!
"If happiness is in your destiny, you need not be in a hurry."
If I can only convince myself of this!

My slooow build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 12, 07:57 PM
Senior Tech
Kev

I saw a pic (posted here or on nasty)of some not so cheap arms failing at the weld and thought the problem is design and longevity.

A tube welded to a tube at right angles. I see the weld and the tube on the vehicle axis as weak points. The ball joint end weld area, but less leverage.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 12, 08:39 AM
Edm
Gold Lifetime Member
Ed

Garage

I hate to admit it but I have these, or some very similar. I wanted the good $$$$$ ones but for the price........ and everything else I wanted to do on the car I couldn't resist.

They come with crappy ball joints and hardware. I installed Moog ball joints and grade 8 hardware. They have been on the car for over a year. I ran a few auto cross events, 120+ mph at the proving grounds and about 7K miles including the entire power tour through the rough northern roads beating the hell out of my car w/o any problems. Bushings are kind of cheap but have held up well. So far no problems at all but I still keep a close eye on everything.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 12, 03:58 PM
Senior Tech

Wow, good place to save money! At least when the valve seats drop out of the Chinese cylinder heads the car will just roll to the side of the road and stop. What happens when your front control arm falls apart? I hear China makes some really cheap ( I mean inexpensive) brake calipers, too. They're real shiny.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 12, 05:30 PM
Edm
Gold Lifetime Member
Ed

Garage

Yeah, its too bad we all don't have deep pockets like you that can afford $1400 control arms.

This just in, Toyota's all over the place are pulling off the side of the road with control arms falling apart.

I am sure my existing 42 year old, sand blasted numerous times, ball joints beat out of them countless times, oblong ball joint holes were much safer then brand new Chinese junk.

Trust me, I am no fan of Chinese stuff but that $1100 I could have spent paid for most of the 2011 Power Tour.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 12, 05:39 PM
Senior Tech
mark

I have them (KMJ) and have run them for over a year on the street with no problems. I was worried at first but they have held up just fine. Haters going to hate. mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 12, 06:09 PM
Senior Tech

$1400 control arms? http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.mv...ode=SUSPENSION Toyotas are made in Japan. Some things are OK to shop for price. Suspension and brake parts you shop for quality. If you can't afford quality then get another hobby. Nobody gets hurt that way.
carhodge likes this.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 12, 08:30 PM
Senior Tech

This message has been deleted by DjD. Reason: I don't care if you guys want to try and get each other pregnant, just don't do it here!
Excuse me?
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 12, 03:05 AM
Edm
Gold Lifetime Member
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
This message has been deleted by DjD. Reason: I don't care if you guys want to try and get each other pregnant, just don't do it here!
LOL
Quote:
Excuse me?
Thats what happens when you crap on someones thread.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 12, 03:21 AM
Edm
Gold Lifetime Member
Ed

Garage

Quote:
$1400 control arms? http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.mv...ode=SUSPENSION Toyotas are made in Japan. Some things are OK to shop for price. Suspension and brake parts you shop for quality. If you can't afford quality then get another hobby. Nobody gets hurt that way.
so back to the main topic, have you had a set of KMJ's or any bad experiences with them? Because if you have those of us that have them would like to know, or is your opinion based on price and where they are manufactured?

Are the arms in your link made in America? I bought a set of stamped control arms for a friends Ranger similar to your link, they were cheap and made in China.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 12, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Scott

WOW, I really didn't mean to stir up so much controversy...but to be honest, I sure wish I had been on the forum last night!

I appreciate everyone's opinions, we are all very passionate about our cars....which is why we are on this forum in the first place.

Passion + differing opinion usually = conflict

Let's remember that we all have different levels of expertise, budgets, and time available for this hobby that we obviously love. In the end we are all here, well most of us to share it with other crazy people that spend all their free time covered in grease, and disposable income on what people outside our world see as "just" another car.

Although to be honest, I'm as focused as ever as to if I should buy these darn things or not! I will most likely go the sc&c route..they are still a value and offer different levels of performance with adjustability that gets rid of those pretty shims.

Thank you again for your opinions and sharing your experience it's what helps us less experienced guys to venture into unfamiliar territory.

P.S. I agree, please don't try to get each other pregnant : )

Scott

1969, 383ci - 486hp, 700r4 3000 lock up conv, hotchkis sway bars, 2.5" drop, Moser 12 bolt 373's, vintage air front runner, rear disk
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 12, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Scott

I would be surprised to find out that the control arms in that link (repro's) from ss396, are made anywhere but china...reason...price....which is what started this thread in the first place.

Scott

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 12, 10:02 AM
Rick

The product really comes down to material selection/quality, and manufacturing process control. If those elements of producing a sound product are in place for each individual part produced and they have been proven, then they are likely to provide you with a trouble free part throughout its life.

There is always risk. Any reputable company could let a lower grade of steel slip through an audit, or the joint/welding process somehow changes and thus introduces a part that may prematurely fail.

Researching enthusiasts using the product, testimonials, etc helps. Call the company and ask questions. They do provide the tube OD and wall thickness, but do not cite the grade or the grade range of the steel that some may wish to know. Is it seamless tube, or welded?

In general, what may make some aftermarket parts less expensive in some respects is the absence of the real nuts and bolts engineering that goes into developing a product which truly defines its mechanical limitations, such, that one may design it with a safety or performance factor into the design. Many designs are copies, (China produced), since the design itself may not qualify for protection unless there is a unique design or working feature to the product that the company producing it has claimed or has filed intellectual property protection for. The improved geometry is an inherent unique claim that could be used, don't know.

I simply did the
Guldstrand mod with my stock suspension to achieve what I assume most are after right, better front suspension geometry? Some may be looking for an aesthetic upgrade or simply do not have a-arms at all.

Camaro . . . my only true friend.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 12, 02:45 PM
Ray

Just installed these a-arms on my friends project 67 carmaro seems to be allright. time will tell. If the welds hold up then he saved alot of money as oppose to the expensive ones. Guess even top quality breaks we all know that. I just installed a T56 Magnum 6-speed from Hursts Driveline in my 69 camaro left it on the lift overnight came in the next day and it was leaking from the center of the rear half and front half almost the entire amount of fluid. Brand new never driven. How is that for Quality control
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode