My LS3 doesnt want to fit in my 67 - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 12, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
chuck

My LS3 doesnt want to fit in my 67

I am having problems with the fit of my LS3 into my 67. I have a 67 Camaro that was a 327 car with a power glide. I have a LS with A TKO 600 kit I bought from Hurst Driveline, my engine mounts are the tall small block perches with Energy Suspension mounts. I have Holley Hooker super competition engine swap mount kit #12611HKR stock location. My first problem is the engine sits to far back. The perchs are installed correctly double checked, the right side valve cover just touches the fire wall, I figured I could switch out the mount for the Hooker mount 12624HKR 1/2" forward and my shifter would be almost centered in the tunnel, they make a 1 1/4" forward but it looks as if it will drop the motor just a bit and that brings me to me to my other problem. I have the Holley retro fit pan and it just touches my cross member I was wondering if anyone else has run across these issues and if so what you did to correct them thanks.

1967 camaro LS3 TKO 5 speed A.C. delux Int.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 12, 11:05 PM
Senior Tech
John

Send a message via AIM to John510
Re: My LS3 dont want to fit in my 67

Can you take a picture of the mounts and post it? You need to use the short and wide frame mounts. Those hooker mounts are crap by the way. They place the engine too close to the firewall. I know this isn't what you want to hear but I would sell those and buy some ATS/Autokraft/S&P/Energy plates, Autokraft oil pan, and stainless works headers.

"Bloodline" 68 Camaro TT LS3
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 12, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
chuck

Re: My LS3 dont want to fit in my 67

I will take some pics when I get off work today. I bought a turn key package that came with the Hooker mounts, pan and Hooker headers. If I can use the headers and pan that would save me repurchasing them. I hope the pan isn't to tall in the front, the short wide frame mounts are those for the small block or big block.
thanks.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 12, 12:16 PM
Senior Tech
John

Re: My LS3 doesnt want to fit in my 67

You need the short and wide for the 350. But regardless, you will need to toss those hooker mounts. These cars have different tolerances from the factory and some people get them to fit and some don't. Do a google search about those mounts and you can see all of the issues people have. Most people either redrill them or return them.

Now assuming your engine can come forward an inch without your pan or headers hitting then you can get away with just changing the plates.

If your pan is going to hit or your headers are going to hit if you move the engine forward then its time to get rid of the hooker stuff and get something that you know will work (see my first post).

Last edited by John510; Apr 26th, 12 at 12:32 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 12, 01:45 PM
Senior Tech
John

OK I think I found the issue. Hooker has their parts mislabeled. Their mount that is labeled 1.25 forward is actually a "stock" location mount. See this pic:
http://www.holley.com/12623HKR.asp

Their mount that says "stock" for the location is actually a 1inch setback mount. See this pic: http://www.holley.com/12623HKR.asp

Here is a carshop setback mount. Compare the 2 pics http://carshop.carshopinc.com/produc.../98457/CSP2370

Here is the Autokraft "stock location http://www.autokraft.org/products/

You can see that on the stock location mounts that the top frame mount bolt uses the same hole as the front top block mount hole.

What your looking for is where the top of the triangle is for the frame mounts. The single bolt hole.

That being said.. You need this mount to make your engine not hit the firewall. http://www.holley.com/12623HKR.asp It says its a forward mount but Holley has it mislabeled.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 12, 04:24 PM
Curtis

I also ran into the same problem, if you have access to a metal or fab shop I would build my own. I used 3/4 plate and transfered to engine bolt pattern to it, which also allowed me to use the factory pan and original small block engine mounts.

Curtis 67 RS SS 500 horse LS3
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 12, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
chuck

My motor mounts are the Energy Suspension 3.1114G short and wide, the width is 2 5/8 I talked to Classic Industries tech and they said I have the tall perches. The Perch on the right side measures 2 3/16 from cross member to bolt center and perch over all height is about 2 7/8 total height with mount installed is about 3 7/8 the adaptor plate is 3/8. The front of my Hooker pan from the block down is about 2 3/8 seems larger than some others.
John510 I think you are on to something the 1.25 is stock the location by looking at the other brands. So if I went that route I should get my fire wall clearance but I need to gain about 1/4'' some how for pan clearance or a different pan.

Last edited by chucky 67; Mar 3rd, 13 at 04:56 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 12, 04:10 PM
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky 67 View Post
My motor mounts are the Energy Suspension 3.1114G short and wide, the width is 2 5/8 I talked to Classic Industries tech and they said I have the tall perches. The Perch on the right side measures 2 3/16 from cross member to bolt center and perch over all height is about 2 7/8 total height with mount installed is about 3 7/8 the adaptor plate is 3/8. The front of my Hooker pan from the block down is about 2 3/8 seems larger than some others.
John510 I think you are on to something the 1.25 is stock the location by looking at the other brands. So if I went that route I should get my fire wall clearance but I need to gain about 1/4'' some how for pan clearance or a different pan.
Easy solution. Buy the mounts that bring it forward a tad and up about 1/4" then your pan should clear. These should help you:
http://dirtydingo.com/store/Muscle-C...322/index.html

Im about to buy a set of those mounts to move my engine rearward 2 inches (firewall is clearanced for that)

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 12, 03:12 PM
BA.
Gold Lifetime Member
Allan

I have the Dirty Dingo's that I'm using on an LS swap in progress. They are a tad expensive, but I love them. Quality stuff.

69 RS - LS7, T56, Currie, DSE, ATS, Vintage Air, Wilwood
Original floor/trunk. Under construction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 12, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
chuck

The company that I bought the turnkey kit from is going to send me a set of Transdapt mounts to try, They should move the LS forward but I doubt they will take care of my pan clearance. If they don't work I will purchases a set of Dingo's they look like the ticket.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old May 13th, 12, 06:37 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

I had the dirty dingo sliders- they will not fit if using the fbody accessories. Not sure about other accessory drives, but the alt location would not allow me to mount the slider. I went with the dirty dingo double D mounts. They have 3 positions- nuetral/forward/back. I have used them on 3 LS swaps now in various positions and they work well. I had a clearance issue with the holley pan just as you pictured above. On 3 different stock subframe/stock perches (all on 69's) the driver side perch was slightly shorter than pass side. I solved the clearance issue by slightly dimpling the high spot on the cross member where the pan touched. And I dont mean mangling or butchering, lol. I then got some thick grade 8 flat washers & bolts. Used the washers under the frame stands to raise the motor slightly. I had about 1/8-1/4" clearance now between the pan & crossmember. Scott

69 RS LS3/T56
68 Firebird vert LS1/4L60E
67 RS LS2/T56
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old May 14th, 12, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
chuck

Just a quick update. The company I bought the turn key package has been really good helping me out with switching out parts so far to try and make this beast fit. First I switched out the Hooker mounts for the 1 1/4 forward and that moved me a little too far forward and my left header without the gasket just hitting the pitman arm on the steering box. The pan had about 1/16 clearance on the drivers side just like yours Z06. Now I have the Dingo sliders installed and they clear my accessories. My pan clearance is about the same and my TKO 600 hits the top of the tunnel, I haven't had time to check header fitment yet maybe tomorrow. What do you guys think the max angle should be for the engine? I am currently at about 4.5 I thought about cutting the mount off of my rear cross member and lowering it down, it wouldn't be to difficult just worried about getting to much angle on the engine. I will need to shim my Moser rear end and Hotchkiss suspension it's at 0 degree right now. I kind of like the Idea of heating and tapping down the small lip on the drivers side of the cross member. My other option would be get a Auto Kraft pan and try custom building some lower mounts to get the front of the motor down to help with trans clearance but that sound like a bunch of work.

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old May 19th, 12, 06:29 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

Doug's LS conversion mount plates and headers along with Mast Motorsports oil pan = no clearance problems at all.

1969 Camaro - Intense Blue Pearlcoat/white (Baldwin-Motion paint scheme), stock 6.2 liter L92 with VVT, LS3 intake, Doug's Headers; Tremec TKO, 3.73 12-bolt posi.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old May 19th, 12, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
chuck

The Dingo mounts are in. My drivers side header clears the steering box and I have clearance in the tunnel. I done some modifacation to the cross member and have 5/32 clearance from the pan, do you think this enough? My engine sits at about 4.5 degree.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old May 19th, 12, 08:48 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

I was told 3* down or less was optimal. It sounds like your trans needs to be raised by shimming the trans mount or trans crossmember. Can you massage the front of the tunnel at all to gain some add'l clearance? Scott

69 RS LS3/T56
68 Firebird vert LS1/4L60E
67 RS LS2/T56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode