will a 8" dual booster fit under the hood - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 12, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
chuck

will a 8" dual booster fit under the hood

I tried this post in the Brakes, Suspension & Steering forum but I got no response, So I thought some of the Pro Touring guys may be able to help. I have a 67 with a LS3 with custom coil covers and I am getting ready to install my 9" single booster and master cylinder that came with my SSBC. disc conversion kit. The booster just hits the coil cover. I called SSBC. and they said go with what ever fits in a single booster, if I go with a duel there may be clearance issues with the master cylinder hitting the hood due to the duel being about 1.5 longer than a single and the Camaros boosters are tilted upwards. An 8" will clear my covers, I was wondering if any of you are running a 8" duel and how the clearance is on the stock cowl hood thanks.

1967 camaro LS3 TKO 5 speed A.C. delux Int.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 12, 08:13 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Re: will a 8" dual booster fit under the hood

I don't have an LS3, but I do have a small block, with cowl hood. I did a conversion on my 68 Camaro and went with the 8 inch dual booster. The supplied "one size fits al"l bracket put the Master about 1 inch above the fender line. I really don't know how they come up with some of these kits.
I returned the bracket thinkiing it was the wrong one. The angle from the firewall was just too severe on the bracket. I explained the situation to the supplier and he found one for a 64 full size Chev that had almost no angle. It worked perfectly. I have also seen other guys who used the same kit, use washers as spacers to decrease the angle.
All I can say it that the 64 worked. I will try to hunt down a picture and post it later.
My kit came from The Right Stuff Detailing. It was about 2007, and things have changed on these kits. I probably should have gone for a more stock looking booster but I was not going for originallity. They work really well.

I have owned 3 69 Z/28s: Garnet Red 30,000 mi unrestored.
Glacier Blue, documented Canadian Z
Rallye Green purchased new in 1969
1968 Camaro Coupe L30 275 horse. ]

Last edited by Stewie; Jun 3rd, 12 at 08:35 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 12, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
chuck

Why do you think they put so much angle on them from the factory, maybe more clearance around the steering box and exhaust?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 12, 10:11 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Why not just do a Hydroboost and not mess with the booster at all if it's such a fit problem...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 12, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
chuck

I want to get input from guys like Stewie thats running them and if they did not have any fitment issues I could spend about 120 bucks and be done instead of paying 900 bucks. Thats hits the camaro budget hard but if I have no choice I will concider that option. What would I need to do a hydra boost set up for the 67 and LS?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 12, 02:15 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Check out what Carl has done in his '68, it should be about the same...

http://www.geocities.com/casanoc/

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 12, 08:00 PM
Senior Tech

I have a dual 8 inch that fits with my big block and LS master...I think it was a Tuff Stuff from Summit
Jason
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 12, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
chuck

Wow that is a sweet looking engine. I ordered a set up from Right Stuff, a duel 8" with a slime line master, I know it's not as small as your master so if it will not fit I will order the one you have from summit you have plenty of room. By the way is that a DSE wiper motor I have a issue with my stock wiper motor hitting?

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 12, 04:55 AM
Senior Tech
LS pwr

Chucky,

I have the original factory set-up on the booster and it fits with no problems... I too thought it might not fit under the hood because of the upward tilt (for clearance on the steering box), but it did... no problem on the rear coils either.

TC

Uncle Sam Pilot

1968 Lemans Blue SS 'vert
LS2/4L70E
Link to my build site

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode