Mini Tub or not to Mini Tub? - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 12, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Mini Tub or not to Mini Tub?

Can some one please tell me the difference between Detroit speed inc Deep Tubs and there mini tub kit? Can I keep my same 12 bolt rear end with out modifications to it? What size wheels and tires can I run with these? I am a newbie so please take it easy on me. Im just trying to learn on here. Thanks!

Last edited by Yates; Oct 7th, 12 at 09:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 12, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Mini Tub or Deep Tubs?

Can some one please tell me the difference between Detroit speed inc Deep Tubs and there mini tub kit? Can I keep my same 12 bolt rear end with out modifications to it? What size wheels and tires can I run with these? I am a newbie so please take it easy on me. Just trying to learn somehting here.

Last edited by Yates; Oct 7th, 12 at 09:09 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 12, 04:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: Mini Tub or not to Mini Tub???

The wheel tubs are the same. To run larger tires you need to move the shocks and the leaf springs inboard. If you search here or on Pro-Touring.com or Lateral-G.net, I'm sure you'll find threads about mini-tubbing a first gen F-body.

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 12, 05:44 AM
John

Garage
Re: Mini Tub or not to Mini Tub?

You can run your stock 12 bolt with wider wheels.

If you have a 69 it will be hard to get the wheels on and off unless you narrow the rear end.

Also when you move the shocks a spring mounts inward the fuel tank may be too wide and will have to be modified or replaced with a narrow fuel tank.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 12, 09:16 AM
Senior Tech
gary

I DSE mini-tubbed my '69 earlier this year and installed the Ridetech triangulated 4-Link with single adjustable coilovers. I have the stock width 12 Bolt rearend with standard location spring mounts and 18x12 wheels w/335 tires. The only reason to narrow the rear is to get that big deep wheel lip look. My wheels have a 4 inch lip, which looks fine to me. I have no difficulty removing rear tires, and the gas tank is stock. Exhaust pipes are routed around the 4-link and gas tank.

Gary

'69 Camaro - 383 SBC w/ 440 hp, Crossram Dual-quad w/ Holley HP EFI, Tremec TKO, Ridetech Coilover Suspension w/TruTurn, Billet-Specialties Draft 18x9, 18x12, BFG KDW 275/335

Last edited by garymac69; Feb 28th, 14 at 12:31 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 12, 10:47 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymac69 View Post
I DSE mini-tubbed my '69 earlier this year and installed the Ridetech triangulated 4-Link with single adjustable coilovers. I have the stock width 12 Bolt rearend with standard location spring mounts and 18x12 wheels w/335 tires. The only reason to narrow the rear is to get that big deep wheel lip look. My wheels have a 4 inch lip, which looks fine to me. I have no difficulty removing rear tires, and the gas tank is stock. Exhaust pipes are routed around the 4-link and gas tank.

Gary
With 4 link and coil overs the stock tank works. If you move the leafs inboard probably not.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 12, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Thanks Great info! LOve that car garymac69...great setup!!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 12, 12:12 PM
Senior Tech
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yates View Post
Thanks Great info! LOve that car garymac69...great setup!!
Thanks... the handling and ride quality was greatly improved.

'69 Camaro - 383 SBC w/ 440 hp, Crossram Dual-quad w/ Holley HP EFI, Tremec TKO, Ridetech Coilover Suspension w/TruTurn, Billet-Specialties Draft 18x9, 18x12, BFG KDW 275/335
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 12, 12:57 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

A 29.5" tire will easily fit in the standard DSE mini tubs. I have DSE mini tubs, relocated shocks and springs, shorter axles and tubes, wider wheels/tires, and a narrowed OEM style tank. I opted for this to keep visibility of it all as subtle as possible.

Then: N/A, 436 ci, Stock Block, Track 1's, Stock Suspension, Ranchos, 3250 lbs... 1.33 60 ft / 9.69 @ 138 mph
Now: Boost...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 12, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymac69 View Post

Gary
Do you have any pics of your car from the rear so I could get a better idea???
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 12, 08:28 AM
Senior Tech
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yates View Post
Do you have any pics of your car from the rear so I could get a better idea???
I'm not sure what info you need. Here is one pic from the rear.

Last edited by garymac69; Feb 28th, 14 at 12:31 PM.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 12, 12:12 PM
Tech Team
Jerry

Great thread. Looking to mini tub mine sometime in the near future.

Jerry
1969 Camaro
502 6-speed
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 12, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .gearhead. View Post
A 29.5" tire will easily fit in the standard DSE mini tubs. I have DSE mini tubs, relocated shocks and springs, shorter axles and tubes, wider wheels/tires, and a narrowed OEM style tank. I opted for this to keep visibility of it all as subtle as possible.
What width tire are you running and what type of spring are you running in the rear? I mini tubbed my car and I'm trying to fit 20's on the back, the widest I could go was a 305/30/20. With a 18 I could probably fit a 335.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 12, 12:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivet View Post
What width tire are you running and what type of spring are you running in the rear? I mini tubbed my car and I'm trying to fit 20's on the back, the widest I could go was a 305/30/20. With a 18 I could probably fit a 335.
That doesn't make any sense, assuming that both tires are the same height.

A 305/30/20 is 27.2" tall, the equivalent 18" would be a 335/35/18, which is also 27.2" tall. If the tires are the same height, you won't be able to go any wider just because the rim is 18" vs 20".

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 12, 02:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Here is a 69 camaro I built. It has the DSE mini tubs and quadralink rear suspension. Also has the narrowed tank. It has 12" x 18" rims with 335/30/18. The rear end is narrowed about 2" on each side.

We went with the narrowed tank because at first we bought the relocated leaf spring kit first then he decided the quadralink was what he wanted. The narrowed tank did help the 3" exhaust go out the back of the car.

Deangelo66 likes this.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode