Mild "pro touring" hints for a stock 69 SS/RS Convertible - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 12, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Eddy

Question Mild "pro touring" hints for a stock 69 SS/RS Convertible

I have been reading a lot of your posts and have to say amazing what some of you guys did with your cars!

Frankly I hope that I'm posting this in the right forum... I am the happy owner of a bone stock 69 SS/RS 350 ragtop - one of the very few 69 SS cars that were shipped to Switzerland in early 1969 (kph tach etc).

I love the car and everytime I fire up that big old V8 it puts a grin on my face
Since I use the car as a daily driver in summer I'd love to get your suggestions on how to get some modern tech in my ride. My goal is to improve handling (lots of curves in Switzerland...), braking and fuel efficiency (even more expensive in Europe than in the US) while keeping original looks and without making permanent modifications (no welding, etc.).

Suspension
I was thinking about one of the kits either from Hotchkis (TVS I/II) or CPP (Pro Touring Stage III) since I'm too stupid to assemble a sensible parts combination myself
What I don't know though is how far I should go, e.g. would you suggest also control arms, adjustable shocks?

Breaks
The SS came with front discs. Is there a good bolt-on kit to replace the rear drums that will fit under my 15" rally wheels? Would you also replace the stock front discs with the same kind of breaks as in the rear?

Engine
Since fuel economy and low end torque matter most to me(I'm a relaxed cruiser, never over 2500 rpm) I was thinking about getting an Edelbrock Performer Air Gap intake with a Holley 570 or 670 street avenger. Other than that not a lot of ideas so any input is welcome! Budget is limited but I have learnt that sometime it's cheaper to go with a slightly pricier option simply not to pay twice...

Any other suggestions are most welcome Many thanks,

Eddy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Side_Top_View (1).jpg
Views:	295
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	31222  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 12, 09:14 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Mild "pro touring" hints for a stock 69 SS/RS Convertible

Wow. Pretty car.

My 69 has some basic "pro touring" type modifications, although I hate the term.

I did Hotchkis F&R springs, front bar and frame connectors.

Front susp is SC&C Street comp Stage 2 Plus which includes SPC upper A arms, Howe Xtall UBJ's and tall outer tie rod ends. http://scandc.com/new/node/44

For brakes I just did Corvette C5/6 fronts and 4th gen LS1 rears with hydroboost.

Wheels/tires are 17's with 245 fronts and 275 rears.

Anyway - all bolt-on upgrades that require no welding (except the frame connectors - you can buy bolt-on types of those)

It's a pretty basic formula but it works really well.

I think your best bang for the buck handling-wise will be bigger wheels and tires. But your Camaro just looks right with those Rallys. Subframe connectors would be high on my list as well.

Headers and a 2 1/2" dual exhaust would be on my list with your/carb intake upgrade, and probably a bit more camshaft as well. I love spending other people's money!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BPOS; Dec 8th, 12 at 09:25 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 12, 11:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Bigger wheels and tires will really change the way it handles. Upgrade to a fast ratio PS box, and replace any worn steering parts. Hotchkis TVS stage I for suspension. Stock control arms are fine for cruising, just add Delrin bushings and replace ball joints if needed. If your front brakes work well, keep them and just add disc brakes to the rear. You probably don't need subframe connectors either. No need to go overboard. (I can't believe I just said that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 12, 12:23 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

The CPP Stage III kit you mentioned includes discs for all corners. If you want to retain the stock front brakes, you want the Stage I or II kit, which doesn't include brakes. For rear disc conversion, I'd look at the Right Stuff kit, which I believe is only about $300 and will fi your wheels. I got their four wheel kit from Matt's Classic Bowties, and it was cheaper that buying it direct from Right Stuff. I also have the CPP Stage II kit, and it fits very well. I can't comment on performance yet (I'm still a while from getting on the road), but the reviews I've seen are great. A CPP equipped 2nd gen had the best times in the recent Super Chevy comparison, and held its own against a C5 Corvette.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 12, 05:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage

I would talk to the guys at Hotchkis. They won't break your wallet and know what they are doing.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 12, 06:36 PM
Senior Tech
thefley

The best thing I have done to my car was the Hachkis TSV kit, as well as the CPP upper and lower control arms. But I have 17 inch wheels with large tires. (285s on back 235s on front). See pic in Sig. It is like driving a whole new car. Handles 110% better. Not hard to install. I have the bolt on sub frame connectors so no welding needed.

I have front disk brakes and drums on rear and it stops great, no idea when or if I will put disks on rear.

By the way that is a beautiful car.

First Gen Camaro Connections on Facebook

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 12, 08:48 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

I have the hotchkiss front and rear springs and front sway bar. I used Monroe sensa track shocks. I have solid sub-frame bushings and poly suspension bushings. I would suggest delrin control arm bushings and use your stock arms or the SC&C upper that is adjustable, these upgrades are on my list

I stayed with 15 inch wheels and tires. I run the stock GM single piston front disc brakes with rear drum brakes. I went with all new brake lines and stainless brake hoses.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 12, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Eddy

Really appreciate all the great feedback guys

I'll focus on suspension and brakes - I guess the engine bit will be a thread all of its own...

The input from most of you seems to be to go with bigger wheels and tires in order to really improve handling. Don't know yet if I'm "emotionally" ready to let go of my rally wheels... though some of your cars with big disc brakes and big wheels sure look nice!

How would you guys rate the difference you felt going from 15"/14" 235 wheel/tire combinations to big wheel combos?
Same question around rear disc brakes vs. drums? Just a gut feel answer will do
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 12, 09:29 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

I have had rear disc on a Camaro and liked them. It was a 68 and it seems to have smoother more solid stop, I have disc drum on my 67 currently and I don't see a switch to disc any time soon due to budget and needing to do other things.

You can go with a 17 inch rally but they look a little odd in my opinion. I like them they look nice but the big rally and basically all big wheels just have the a look that for me I just does not "do it" for me on my 67 Camaro.

Please don't take offense, any of you with bigger wheels. I think 95% of the first gens or second gens that I see with them look great, they are just not something I would want......just like you may not want 15 inch wheels or even like the 15's on my 67.

I was wanting 17 inch wheels a few years back and just could not bring myself to do it.....maybe one day and if I do they will be Vintage Wheel Works Vintage 40's.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 12, 01:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss_69SS View Post

I'll focus on suspension and brakes - I guess the engine bit will be a thread all of its own...

The input from most of you seems to be to go with bigger wheels and tires in order to really improve handling. Don't know yet if I'm "emotionally" ready to let go of my rally wheels... though some of your cars with big disc brakes and big wheels sure look nice!

How would you guys rate the difference you felt going from 15"/14" 235 wheel/tire combinations to big wheel combos?
Switching from 235/60/15 to 245 and 275/40/18's was probably the most noticeable mod I have done. The steering/handling instantly felt more modern.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 12, 03:53 PM
Senior Tech
Al

The factory vac assisted disc/drum brakes work really well. If you can skid your tires with them w/o breaking your leg then you have enough stopping power. The bigger brakes are better when working the brakes hard repeatedly. The factory brakes look kinda lost behind bigger wheels.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 12, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Eddy

Stopping power of the original disc/drum setup is ok as long as I have to break only once (e.g. red light, #?*! head on the highway) however I noticed quite some fading probably due to overheating when descending mountain roads as the car gets to fast even in 2nd with the TH350.

After all your feedback I guess a tune up with modern suspension components, sway bar and modern brakes might just do the trick.

Many thanks again for all the input!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 12, 02:28 PM
Senior Tech
LS pwr

Quote:

I rate it as "THE BIGGEST CHANGE TO HANDLING" that I got! My baby was/is a factory SS. She came with power drums and 15" Rallyes, though I miss the Rallye look, the big BAER brakes wouldn't fit, so i went with custom 18" wheels. The look, the stance, the stopping power, and (most of all) handling have improved 150%!

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time (I've had my baby for 19 yrs), then the upgrades are well worth it!

TC

TC

Uncle Sam Pilot

1968 Lemans Blue SS 'vert
LS2/4L70E
Link to my build site

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 13, 05:09 PM
Senior Tech
Wayne

Tango the car looks great Screaming Performance does some nice work, and the parts they make are on my wish list. My brother and some of my wife's family live in Melbourne.

Wayne
69 Camaro SS/RS. Fab 9. GM LSA/485 crate drive train. . C6 Z51 brakes. AirRide G bar Rushforths 18x8 19x12

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 13, 10:52 PM
David Pozzi

Quote:
Stopping power of the original disc/drum setup is ok as long as I have to break only once (e.g. red light, #?*! head on the highway) however I noticed quite some fading probably due to overheating when descending mountain roads as the car gets to fast even in 2nd with the TH350.

After all your feedback I guess a tune up with modern suspension components, sway bar and modern brakes might just do the trick.

Many thanks again for all the input!
Look for better brake pads. The Hawk HP are much better.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode