Lsx crossmember driveshaft questions - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 13, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

Lsx crossmember driveshaft questions

Hey guys, I have a 69 camaro that I am doing an ls swap on and have a few questions about the crossmember and driveshaft. My car came as a 350 4spd but that has been removed. My question is will the Muncie crossmember or driveshaft work for any of this, what crossmember and driveshaft will work for this conversion, and how can I tell one from the other? Pictures would help with the differentiation part, I know whatever ones I use will need to be modified I just need to know what stock parts I can use to begin with. If I have to buy aftermarket driveshaft and crossmember who sells the best stuff at the best price? Sorry if there are errors, I had to use my phone (Internet is down). Thanks in advance guys.

69 Camaro coupe project link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 13, 10:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: Lsx crossmember driveshaft questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GreyGhost View Post
Hey guys, I have a 69 camaro that I am doing an ls swap on and have a few questions about the crossmember and driveshaft. My car came as a 350 4spd but that has been removed. My question is will the Muncie crossmember or driveshaft work for any of this, what crossmember and driveshaft will work for this conversion, and how can I tell one from the other? Pictures would help with the differentiation part, I know whatever ones I use will need to be modified I just need to know what stock parts I can use to begin with. If I have to buy aftermarket driveshaft and crossmember who sells the best stuff at the best price? Sorry if there are errors, I had to use my phone (Internet is down). Thanks in advance guys.
Telling us the transmission you want to use might produce more focused responses.

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 13, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

Sorry guys, I currently have a 4l60e. Depending on what I can use that I already have it will shape my build. I have a line on a t56 now, my concern is will my motor he too much for the auto. Maybe I save the t56 for a later build, I guess these things all will shape what I do.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 13, 04:53 PM
Guess

No matter what you swap to, you'll probably want to customize the length of the drive shaft for best fit. Cutting it will be easy... making it longer obviously won't.
Several companies make cross members that can be used for BOTH an auto and manual trans. BMR comes to mind.

No way to know if the engine will be too much for the auto.... because we don't know what the engine is capable of, or the age and condition of the trans. The 4L60 and up have been used behind all the LS engines, so unless you're super charging it or adding a hair dryer, it will live just fine. The T56 was originally built for the Viper... do you prefer both hands on the wheel or one?

Is it going to be a street-driven car or you looking to race?

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 13, 06:36 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

You can use the stock 4spd/T350 crossmember by moving it back & drilling new holes in the subframe. This is much easier with the subframe out and test fitting the motor/trans. Servicing the trans or removing it later on is easier with the aftermarket crossmembers. Bowtie overdrives sells a well priced crossmember for 4l60/700R4 swaps in the stock 1st gen sub. I think its $175. You can have the stock first gen driveshaft shortened if you have a shop local to you. Enjoy the swap!

69 RS LS3/T56
68 Firebird vert LS1/4L60E
67 RS LS2/T56
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 13, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06vette View Post
You can use the stock 4spd/T350 crossmember by moving it back & drilling new holes in the subframe. This is much easier with the subframe out and test fitting the motor/trans. Servicing the trans or removing it later on is easier with the aftermarket crossmembers. Bowtie overdrives sells a well priced crossmember for 4l60/700R4 swaps in the stock 1st gen sub. I think its $175. You can have the stock first gen driveshaft shortened if you have a shop local to you. Enjoy the swap!

Thanks, I appreciate the positive input!!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 13, 02:15 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

Quote:
You'll also have two new bolt-in crossmember options from Hooker shortly for either a T56 or a 4L60-4L75 automatic being used in a 1st-gen LS swap. The attached image is of the T56 crossmember; the other one shares similar geometry. Both are part of a completely new system of swap parts for this application that solve many of the fitment compromises that exist with currently available components.

The guys that have done this swap before know what I'm talking about, i.e. poor header ground clearance, header primary tube interference with the steering box or the use of strange bend geometry to clear it that requires new spark plug wires, less than desirable engine inclination angles, engine mounts that position the engine 3"-4" away from the firewall, transmission case interference with the tunnel, engine interference with the firewall, oil pan interference with the inner tie-rod ends...all these conditions have been resolved with the design of these new bolt-on parts.

The components that make up these new offerings include engine mounting brackets (uniquely designed 72'-up clamshell style conversion with no drilling required...bye, bye frame stand/mount compatibility issues for good), transmission crossmembers, mid-length headers, long-tube headers and full 2.5" and 3" exhaust systems that you can bolt-in in your driveway.

The planned release date for all these parts in around the date for the SEMA show (first week of Nov.) and you'll see some of the parts become available before then. If you have any specific technical questions, feel free to ask.

Regards,
Todd

Last edited by toddoky; Sep 9th, 13 at 07:12 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 13, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

Thanks Todd, I have been leaning towards the bowtie overdrives crossmember if I got t56 http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/cata...php?ITEMID=690
Its the right price, and they seem reputable, I will look into your suggestion however.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 13, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

So a muncie 4 speed driveshaft fits a t56, I connected them and turned it. The input shaft turned with the driveshaft. So I guess the conclusion is that a muncie driveshaft works with a t-56. Now I just need to find a crossmember that wont have complications and wont break the bank.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 13, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

I ended up going t56 by the way.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 13, 07:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
So a muncie 4 speed driveshaft fits a t56, I connected them and turned it. The input shaft turned with the driveshaft. So I guess the conclusion is that a muncie driveshaft works with a t-56. Now I just need to find a crossmember that wont have complications and wont break the bank.
I used the one from BMR. It works with the T56 and has a fair amount of front to back/side to side adjustability.

I also re-used the driveshaft from my Saginaw, and just had it shortened by around 1.25" (can't remember the exact length).

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 13, 11:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
tim

we fabricated our own driveshaft if you need one let me know

RIMSPEC WHEEL REPAIR

|
|
AND

1-888-789-9951

Allstar Auto Salon Body Paint Collision & Classic Restoration & Protouring
1-888-344-3417

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode