ls swap header question - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 13, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

ls swap header question

I am doing the ls swap in my 68 right now and have the iroc steering box with hooker 1 1/4'' forward plates installed, trans is the t56 from looking at it my fitment for headers (preferrably long tubes) is slim and none. Just wondering if anyone else is running this or has any possible info on the subject. thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 13, 11:44 AM
Wes

Re: ls swap header question

Idk about the iroc steering box. But we have used hooker super comp swap headers on a couple LS first gens and love them. Just give hooker a call and ask them.

69 Camaro LS2 4l60E
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 13, 12:35 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

So, by the 1.25" "forward" plates....you mean back up to the firewall keeping the trans in the stock location ?
I have the stock manual box in mine and the DynoTech 1 7/8" coated headers...tight going in.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 13, 05:03 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninBuckeye View Post
Idk about the iroc steering box. But we have used hooker super comp swap headers on a couple LS first gens and love them. Just give hooker a call and ask them.
I also have Hooker Supercomps on 2 69 LS swap. One with a R&P setup and one with the stock box. No clearance issues.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 13, 05:28 AM
Guess

I don't know what the T56 dimensions are, but the Headman LS swap headers I used clear the steering (PS) by .25'. They don't come anywhere near the trans, but its an automatic so that may make a difference.
I got them from Restoration Performance.

post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 13, 05:20 AM
Senior Tech

I spoke to Hooker about this very topic. They said to use the stock location mount plates with their headers with my combination, running a 4l65e. I would probably run the stock plates and modify the trans cross member to fit the T56 if it does not line up. Easier to modify the trans mount than change out steering boxes...

But on that note : with stock location plates and a small block heater core, you will probably need to swap out for a big block heater box/core because the heater outlet will hit the back of the valve cover.....
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 13, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thanks guys for the help I broke down and just bought the hooker ls manifolds they just came out with so I dont have any hassle only problem is 2.25 outlet (BOOOOOO!) will let you know how it goes from there thanks again. It just seems the the move forward its too far forward since i now have 1 1/2" from back of pass head to firewall. Makes is great for hiding the harness and all but the exhaust has been the only hang up.
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 13, 08:08 AM
Senior Tech

Let me know how those Hooker LS manifolds work out.....I have looked at them and actually think I like them better than the headers.....
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 13, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ill post some pics this weekend for ya!
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 13, 04:15 AM
Senior Tech

thanks.....I also like the fact that the Hooker Manifolds are a couple hundred less than the headers....lol
post #11 of 81 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 13, 03:34 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

For those curious to know, we've been working on the development of new 1st-gen engine swap mounts, transmission crossmembers, headers (mid-lengths and long-tubes) and full 2.5" and 3" exhaust systems for quite some time and will be releasing them just before the SEMA show this year in November. Existing components for this swap(everyone's) require the user to address common issues themselves andto make compromises that we've fully taken care of in the design of the new compoents. If you've seen the parts we've recently released for 2nd-gen F-bodies, then that will give you a good idea as to the design/engineering quality level and the comprehensive depth of the application coverage.

We researched the standing issues that people were having when using the currently available headers on the market (including ours) and pretty much addressed them all to provide a complete "drop-in" solution for all your LS swap mounting and exhaust needs. I'll be putting up a follow-up post before I go home tonight that will provide a few teaser photos and will be coming back here in the next few weeks to start posting up more specific photos and info for all interested swappers.

Regards,

Todd

Hooker Design Engineer

Last edited by toddoky; Sep 4th, 13 at 03:44 PM. Reason: spelling errors
post #12 of 81 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 13, 04:00 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

Here's the teaser images I promised that show our new 2nd-gen components (stainless long tubes and T56 crossmember in this case) on a subframe display being assembled for the LS Fest coming up this weekend. You can also make out the stamped X crossover in the exhaust systems soon to be released for them as well. For anyone attending the event, please stop by and take a look at all our LS components at the Holley truck.

Todd

Last edited by toddoky; Sep 7th, 13 at 02:14 PM.
post #13 of 81 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 13, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

now you post this haha!
post #14 of 81 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 13, 02:44 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Todd....looks great.
How about the firewall to engine clearances ? With the mounts I used to keep the trans in the stock location I only have enough room to get my finger tips in there.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #15 of 81 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 13, 05:10 AM
Senior Tech
Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G View Post
Todd....looks great.
How about the firewall to engine clearances ? With the mounts I used to keep the trans in the stock location I only have enough room to get my finger tips in there.
You as well as others have discovered first hand that their are many trade-offs with keeping the trans in the stock location, the first being the unnatural appearing tight clearance between the engine and firewall. I'll provide some images of the firewall clearance when I get in to work this morning.

We deviated from typical practice and moved the engine slightly (not 3 to 4 inches like some kits out there) forward to provide better clearances of all the involved components, i.e. heater core nipples, trans dipstick, trans case to tunnel etc. The positioning also allows a correct bolt-in 3 degree engine inclination angle to be obtained when using our mounts with one of the trans crossmembers we've developed...without cutting the tunnel sheet metal.

One of the best features of the mounts in my opinion is that they get rid of all installation issues incurred with the factory frame stands in these cars; our mounts retrofit all cars to use 72-up GM clamshells through the use of adapter plates on the subframe, which require no drilling to install. So now you don't have to hassle with finding a different set of frame stands than what your car came with to achieve properly installation of the components.

This change to the mounts also frees up more room for improved header bend geometry, which of course we took full advantage of. The new Hooker headers finally resolve the steering box clearance issue without having to raise the motor height up (bad for U-joint angles), or run the #2 tube over the top of the header and drop it down between the two rearmost tubes (bad for plug wire and steering hose clearance) as I noticed in another design.

Things are getting better indeed for you 1st-gen swappers.

Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode