Looking at Ridetech bolt in 4 link - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 13, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Maurice

Looking at Ridetech bolt in 4 link

I am strongly considering installing a Ridetech 4 link setup in my 68 Camaro. Who out there is using one of these and what can you tell me about your "real world" experience with it. What can you tell me about the quality, installation, fit and finish, handling, adjustability, maintenance, noise etc. this is a lot of money for my budget, but I really like the idea of a 4 link.

additionally what mini tubs and tire/rim sizes are you guys running on your particular setup?

thanks!

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 13, 08:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Re: Looking at Ridetech bolt in 4 link

Not to talk you out of it, I like spending others money , but do you really need it? You said it's not in your budget. I want it too but after talking to a few, I didn't need it! I will never out drive the perfromance of the Hotchkis leaf springs. My plan for the car is daily driver with some autocross and a few trips to the track for some driving events.
As for the RideTech products, you can't go wrong.
Have you been over to the www.pro-touring.com website? Do a search under the Suspension thread and you'll come up with numerous threads with the RideTech 4 link. I think the install is pretty straight forward especially if you have welding skills!
I have not mini tubbed my car. I'm running 17x10 with a 275/40 in the rear. I have a wee bit of rubbing on the inners when entering/exiting driveways. 9.5 are the standard max for the 67-68 Camaro without rubbing issues.
If you're going to tub it, go with the DSE kit. While you're there, maybe look at their 4 link too.

68 Camaro SS... getting there!!
"If happiness is in your destiny, you need not be in a hurry."
If I can only convince myself of this!

My slooow build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 13, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Maurice

Nope, I don't really need it, and yes my budget is very tight. But as I think about it, I don't "need" the ZZ502, or the built 4L80. hell, I don't really need the Camaro for that matter. But I know where you're coming from, and I appreciate the input. I guess it's about what we want tho isn't it.

I would be addressing a few pressing issues with the 4 link installation, improving ride height and quality, adding tire clearance. I don't know if I'll run tubs or not, but in leaning that way as well.

Also,considering one of my major motives is to eliminate leaf springs altogether, I can't entertain the idea of the DSE kit, at least the spring aspect. that DSE kit also requires a custom fuel tank, and those ain't cheap. So that would be even more money, plus I'd still have leaf springs...

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 13, 02:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I had the hotchkis springs for a few years and switched to the ridetech four link in 2009. I initially put shockwaves and then coil overs. I also just mini tubbed it. Nothing wrong with the leaf springs but the 4 link rides SO much better. You can do upgrades as you go if you choose to mini tub in the future. Either way you can't go wrong. You need to think about your long term goals and decide from there.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 13, 07:13 PM
Senior Tech
erik

I struggled with the Ridetech setup when I was buying the four link I really didn't need to! I think most of us do the things to our cars that we don't need, but WANT for whatever reason. I went with the Chassis Works G-Link instead. The lower bars are beefier and the joints are not the same as the ridetech stuff. I read about alot of guys having noise coming from the links theirs had with that four link. After I received my kit I understood why the Chassis Works stuff didn't. The way this one was installed is more labor intensive but ties the car together wonderfully. Honestly though, either would be a good addition, I just preferred the Alston stuff.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 13, 08:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

I have looked at them all and the Alston stuff is or would be my choice. "If" I were going in that direction. The mini tubs are very nice and allows for a bigger tire. And the 4 link is just as nice, But with that being said. Calvert Racing makes a nice split leaf set up with bars and 9 way shocks. I have drag raced for years and had a 4 link and it helped to have it. The only thing you get out of them is more adjustability for the track. If you want just as much performance without the price and still be able to adjust the ride height etc... Go with the Cal-trac set-up. Not knocking any of your choices Ridetech makes great stuff and would be a good choice. I am just giving you more options for what you described, being on a budget.

68 Resto-Mod in progress..355sbc .350 Trans Rushforth wheels
My Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 13, 08:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68zz502fi View Post
Nope, I don't really need it, and yes my budget is very tight. But as I think about it, I don't "need" the ZZ502, or the built 4L80. hell, I don't really need the Camaro for that matter. But I know where you're coming from, and I appreciate the input. I guess it's about what we want tho isn't it.

I would be addressing a few pressing issues with the 4 link installation, improving ride height and quality, adding tire clearance. I don't know if I'll run tubs or not, but in leaning that way as well.

Also,considering one of my major motives is to eliminate leaf springs altogether, I can't entertain the idea of the DSE kit, at least the spring aspect. that DSE kit also requires a custom fuel tank, and those ain't cheap. So that would be even more money, plus I'd still have leaf springs...
I wasn't suggesting the leaf kit since you don't want the leafs. I was suggesting the 4 link they have.
Either way, they're both great companies. As mentioned above, the Chassis Works stuff is great too!
What are your plans for the car?

68 Camaro SS... getting there!!
"If happiness is in your destiny, you need not be in a hurry."
If I can only convince myself of this!

My slooow build thread
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 13, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Maurice

Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it. It helps break-up the "tunnel vision" we all tend to get when we WANT something. And It's a great resource to have other peoples experiences and ideas to help guide and inform you. Sometimes it even helps with not having to pay the price personally, whether it be monetarily or otherwise.

To answer ROBS6T8's question ; "What are your plans for the car?"

Well, that has been a long and evolving story, heres the short version.

I got the car in 1984 I think ,and parked it in1988. I have had many "changes of heart" through the years. First off, I always wanted a Big Block Camaro! So I built a stout little 402, but then decided I really wanted aluminum heads and maybe a few more cubic inches. So I decided to go with a ZZ502 and top it off with Holley MPFI.

I had a good used 400 turbo and converter, but what I really wanted was "overdrive" so I had a 700R4 built, only to decide later that it probably wasnt up to the task for a ZZ502, and what I really needed was a built 4L80. At least I've had a built 12 bolt posi in it for years and didnt change that, except for gears, It now has 3:73

So now, I have the powertrain I really wanted after all these years, but I have the "issue" out back.. the heavy duty high-arc leaf springs!
High-Arc springs, lift-shackles or full blown 4 link and tubs are about all there was back when I started the Camaro transformation twenty some years ago, so I went with the springs. I never liked overly fat protruding tires, or sky high rear ends, and my Camaro exhibits both of those traits.
I really need to get that rear end out of the clouds and the tires inside the rear quarters where they belong.

So, here we are, the after all the research and reading, the forums, all the emails, the videos, the phone calls and ALL the pics. I finally decided to go with the RideTech bolt in 4 link. I hope it's as good as I've heard, and it all works out as it is supposed to.

I Still got a long way to go..

p.s.
My plan... I want to DRIVE the damn thing again !

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 13, 08:52 PM
Team Member
Jerry

I order my ride tech 4 link today, I'll keep you updated on the install. I also mini tubed mine.

69 SS/RS
565 BBC
Tremic 6 speed
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 13, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly Jones View Post
I order my ride tech 4 link today, I'll keep you updated on the install. I also mini tubed mine.
Good for you man, I hope you'll have some good pics on the install. most install threads/pics I have seen could be slightly better. especially the install instructions on the RideTech site could be more descriptive, and their pics could be much better, considering it's "their" product. Maybe I'll document my installation...

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 13, 12:16 PM
Tech Team
Tu

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/6...ckT8%29/page19

Check this thread out over at pro-touring.com. The 4-link install starts on post 361.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 15, 01:39 PM
bill

Made my own. Works well. Took alot of time to figure out the upper link geometry to get the travel correct. But it was alot less than the 1500 price tag. Need some general metal fab knowledge.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 15, 10:02 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty68 View Post
I have looked at them all and the Alston stuff is or would be my choice. "If" I were going in that direction. The mini tubs are very nice and allows for a bigger tire. And the 4 link is just as nice, But with that being said. Calvert Racing makes a nice split leaf set up with bars and 9 way shocks. I have drag raced for years and had a 4 link and it helped to have it. The only thing you get out of them is more adjustability for the track. If you want just as much performance without the price and still be able to adjust the ride height etc... Go with the Cal-trac set-up. Not knocking any of your choices Ridetech makes great stuff and would be a good choice. I am just giving you more options for what you described, being on a budget.
Just for the record, a parallel bar 4 link drag racing suspension should not be confused with a triangulated 4 link suspension like those offered by Ridetech or Chassisworks. They are two completely different designs for completely different forms of driving.

Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you! Jeremy Clarkson

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 15, 08:02 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

I would highly recommend the Ridetech system! I have had it on my camaro for the last couple years and I LOVE it! WELL worth the price!! I got mine from Matt's Classic Bowties. The install was pretty painless, but it did take some slight "massaging" with a BFH to get the four link frame to fit up tight where it was supposed to go. After that it was a straight forward install. Just follow the directions and you'll be good. I tacked the upper link tabs in place and then took my rear end to a buddy's place to have him weld the tabs in because my welder didn't have enough juice to do heavy structural welds like the tabs. After that I was good. I am only running 255/45/18 tires, so nothing huge back there...YET! I eventually will mini tub it and go with at least 315's! One thing to point out is that unless you have big meat back there, you don't need the rear sway bar, so save the $500 that costs. This is coming directly from Ridetech's owners mouth! Deffinately upgrade to the Monsterbar though!! The front sway bar makes a HUGE difference!! It's awesome!!

Regarding fit and finish - it's an excellent system and both fit and finish are top notch. All powder coated parts and they look as good as they fit!

As far as adjustability - The coil overs are obviously adjustable. I put some antisieze on the threads of the coil overs so they don't bind up later down the road. ONE improvement i wish they did was to make the lower links adjustable. They don't do this and I wanted my alignment guy to have FULL adjustability for the rear end so I converted the lower links to heim joints so he could tweak the tracking of the rear end. I don't know why Ridetech didn't do this, but I think it should be an option if you want it.

There haven't been any noise issues with the system really. I do hear a creak here and there, but that is to be expected with heim joints though over time. No big deal. This only happens when I am going slow. Driving I don't hear anything.

Ride quality is awesome. Better than a new car!! Nice and tight, but still some travel and ZERO body roll!! Everyone that drives my car is amazed at how it handles!!

Finally, the best part.....do you really need it? Hell no you don't need it unless you make a living racing your car....BUT that's not why we have these cars now is it! Most of what I put on my car I didn't NEED, I WANTED! I didn't need it, but I got it and I LOVE it!!! All these things I don't NEED let me have fun working on the car and the final result is awesome! If you can afford it, then I say go for it!! I have other hobbies that are expensive and I can only afford to spend money on one at a time each year. So far the camaro has won every year! haha!! The wife is good with whatever I want to do as long as we budget the money. This year its a T-56 Magnum, Quicktime bell housing, and hydraulic clutch kit! Do I NEED it??? Hell NO, BUT I WANT it!! haha!! and i can guarantee you that after I get it installed, which will be a blast to do, I will say I'm damn glad I got it!

You only live once....might as well have fun doing it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68zz502fi View Post
Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it. It helps break-up the "tunnel vision" we all tend to get when we WANT something. And It's a great resource to have other peoples experiences and ideas to help guide and inform you. Sometimes it even helps with not having to pay the price personally, whether it be monetarily or otherwise.

To answer ROBS6T8's question ; "What are your plans for the car?"

Well, that has been a long and evolving story, heres the short version.

I got the car in 1984 I think ,and parked it in1988. I have had many "changes of heart" through the years. First off, I always wanted a Big Block Camaro! So I built a stout little 402, but then decided I really wanted aluminum heads and maybe a few more cubic inches. So I decided to go with a ZZ502 and top it off with Holley MPFI.

I had a good used 400 turbo and converter, but what I really wanted was "overdrive" so I had a 700R4 built, only to decide later that it probably wasnt up to the task for a ZZ502, and what I really needed was a built 4L80. At least I've had a built 12 bolt posi in it for years and didnt change that, except for gears, It now has 3:73

So now, I have the powertrain I really wanted after all these years, but I have the "issue" out back.. the heavy duty high-arc leaf springs!
High-Arc springs, lift-shackles or full blown 4 link and tubs are about all there was back when I started the Camaro transformation twenty some years ago, so I went with the springs. I never liked overly fat protruding tires, or sky high rear ends, and my Camaro exhibits both of those traits.
I really need to get that rear end out of the clouds and the tires inside the rear quarters where they belong.

So, here we are, the after all the research and reading, the forums, all the emails, the videos, the phone calls and ALL the pics. I finally decided to go with the RideTech bolt in 4 link. I hope it's as good as I've heard, and it all works out as it is supposed to.

I Still got a long way to go..

p.s.
My plan... I want to DRIVE the damn thing again !
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 15, 08:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charlie

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian2013 View Post
I would highly recommend the Ridetech system! One thing to point out is that unless you have big meat back there, you don't need the rear sway bar, so save the $500 that costs. This is coming directly from Ridetech's owners mouth! Deffinately upgrade to the Monsterbar though!! The front sway bar makes a HUGE difference!! It's awesome!!

As far as adjustability - The coil overs are obviously adjustable. I put some antisieze on the threads of the coil overs so they don't bind up later down the road. ONE improvement i wish they did was to make the lower links adjustable. They don't do this and I wanted my alignment guy to have FULL adjustability for the rear end so I converted the lower links to heim joints so he could tweak the tracking of the rear end. I don't know why Ridetech didn't do this, but I think it should be an option if you want it.

Ride quality is awesome. Better than a new car!! Nice and tight, but still some travel and ZERO body roll!! Everyone that drives my car is amazed at how it handles!!

Finally, the best part.....do you really need it? Hell no you don't need it unless you make a living racing your car....BUT that's not why we have these cars now is it! Most of what I put on my car I didn't NEED, I WANTED! I didn't need it, but I got it and I LOVE it!!! All these things I don't NEED let me have fun working on the car and the final result is awesome! If you can afford it, then I say go for it!! I have other hobbies that are expensive and I can only afford to spend money on one at a time each year. So far the camaro has won every year! haha!! The wife is good with whatever I want to do as long as we budget the money. This year its a T-56 Magnum, Quicktime bell housing, and hydraulic clutch kit! Do I NEED it??? Hell NO, BUT I WANT it!! haha!! and i can guarantee you that after I get it installed, which will be a blast to do, I will say I'm damn glad I got it!

You only live once....might as well have fun doing it!!!
Thanks a lot BrianÖ.. I WANT IT!

Charlie
Edmonds, WA
1969 Camaro SS Vert LS1 T56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode