Fair Price for LS1 - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 13, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Garage
Fair Price for LS1

What would be a fair price for an low miles LS1 engine with a t56 tranny, PCM and harness? I'm looking at throwing a 5 speed in my car and when all said and done your talking north of 3K. Not really in love with my current new engine so i was thinking (cost money to think) throw in a LS??

69 X-44 Camaro, slowly upgrading to my liking...Hmmm, i guess i'll never be done
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Camaro LE SS...Many upgrades
1969 Step Side LWB C10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 13, 10:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage
Re: Fair Price for LS1

Ballpark figures...

LS1/T56 combo is going to run $4,000-5,000.
LS2/T56 you can add $2,000+ to the above.
LS3/T56 add another $2,000+ to the above.

Obviously there will be some priced lower and higher than those based on mileage.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 13, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Agree, but I would install the mating T56 also.
Be sure to bypass the 'SKIP SHIFT'.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 13, 02:55 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

http://www.engineandtransmissionworld.com/

Here's a good place to start looking.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 13, 06:15 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

Over the summer I bought a LS1 motor only but had oil pan to intake, no accessories. 2002 Trans Am with 70k on the clock. Paid $1500. Look on LS1tech classifieds and Craigslist. There are cars being parted out everywhere right now.
Hawks Third Gen might be a good place to look too.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
2 x 1967 R/T’s
1977 Power Wagon
1978 Li’l Red Express
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 13, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Garage

looking at buying a 2003 LQ9 out of an SS truck with 821 heads, beehive springs and a LS3 intake, 55k miles on the bottom end. Cam is a 273lr hr112 so the specs are 610.617 223 231 on a 112 lsa. looks like about 440 hp to the crank. Going to listen to it this Sunday (still in truck) and test drive the motor. Should be a drop in except mounts, water pump, PCM and oil pan…price…$2,750.00 or i can buy a LQ4 block…brand new build (very high end local builder) to with stand 800HP (current set up is 540HP) blue printed motor, everything new, high end components bottom up. No heads, intake and will need a new cam(cam in engine is LSA 115 for turbo). Price….$2,700.00, engine has more then 5k in build? I'm leaning more to the drop in LQ9, seems like a better deal and fit for what i'm going to use the car for…aggressive street riding and a few trips to the track. After adding the things to the higher end motor i'm figuring and additional $1,500.00 which i can use to buy the T-56. Just throwing this out there for opinions

69 X-44 Camaro, slowly upgrading to my liking...Hmmm, i guess i'll never be done

1969 Step Side LWB C10
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 13, 06:37 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondb View Post
Just throwing this out there for opinions
LQ9 sounds like the best way to go. Just don't underestimate the total cost of an LS swap.

In addition to what you've already mentioned you'll have fuel system upgrades, cooling system, headers and exhaust, tranny, if you go T56 you'll need crossmember, shifter and probably hydraulic master and slave, yoke and driveshaft work. Then most likely a rear end gear change. Also will have to sort out accessories power steering lines and air intake. Alternator on the trucks is too high to clear hood so you'll need a relocate bracket. Last but not least the speedo and other gauges.

Good luck and have fun. LS is the only way to go

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 13, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Garage

Thanks for the heads up John! I know it's a pretty good nut to make the change....but like you said worth it. I should be able to sell my new 350 engine, m-21 transmission, and headers. I should be able to use my new aluminum radiator, 12 bolt mosher with 3:73 gears and muffler system. It will come with the relocation bracket for the alternator. Plus I have Brent (67Rally) not to far from me on what works and what doesn't...maybe with a lot of beer I can get him over

1969 Step Side LWB C10
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 13, 10:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up John! I know it's a pretty good nut to make the change....but like you said worth it. I should be able to sell my new 350 engine, m-21 transmission, and headers. I should be able to use my new aluminum radiator, 12 bolt mosher with 3:73 gears and muffler system. It will come with the relocation bracket for the alternator. Plus I have Brent (67Rally) not to far from me on what works and what doesn't...maybe with a lot of beer I can get him over
I think you underestimate how much I can drink.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 13, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
I think you underestimate how much I can drink.
I think you underestimate how much liquor i have at my house If we ever have a natural disaster or a zombie attack, i'm preparedI guess you can say i'm a prepperThe only tough part is keeping it stocked….they go SO fast

1969 Step Side LWB C10
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 13, 06:55 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Radiator will work just top hose is on different side then LS. You'll have run the steam line. Easiest for you is to tap suction side if water pump.

You can control fan relay with the ECM. ECM closes ground side of relay.

Have fun.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 13, 09:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Radiator will work just top hose is on different side then LS. You'll have run the steam line. Easiest for you is to tap suction side if water pump.
That's what I did for the steam vent. I have also seen these used on some builds (http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...LSI-tee.html):

No risk of metal shavings in the the water pump that way. They even sell one's that have a different inlet and outlet size, with a coolant sight glass:

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 13, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Garage

Hmmm….i can see myself buying a lot of beer…..it's all good though….it's one of the 7 food groups

1969 Step Side LWB C10
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 13, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Garage

Well….i pulled the trigger and bought this LQ9: Now i need to find a t-56!
http://nh.craigslist.org/pts/4199696104.html

He'll have it out and to my house with in 2 weeks!

Anyone interested in a newly built 500 mile 1969 350 (just south of 400HP) engine with a m21 muncie transmission? Also no need for new dyno tech headers.

1969 Step Side LWB C10
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 13, 02:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Wow! Congrats Don! I am sure you swap will go quickly with Brent consulting, since he's already mastered the LS learning curve.

And having driven your car with the 350 and muncie, i can tell anybody interested it was a beautifully running combo!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode