New Engine - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 274 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 13, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Garage
New Engine

I'm making this thread to ask questions as i do my LS swap. I have my new engine. LQ9 block out of a 2004 SS Silverado, 55k miles, stock bottom end, 0821 heads, comp cam 273 LSR cam, Ls3 intake, 90mm TB. It was in his truck and i got to hear it and go for a ride….so i know the combo works…there has been questions on the PTV clearance on this set up. He did the build and never did a PTV check, and has 1k miles on this set up with no problems.I now the water pumps need to be changed and was thinking maybe electric?? I'm waiting for Holley to finish their 1st gen LS swap kit (Brent made me aware of the upcoming kit) before i change out the oil pan.

69 X-44 Camaro, slowly upgrading to my liking...Hmmm, i guess i'll never be done
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Camaro LE SS...Many upgrades
1969 Step Side LWB C10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 274 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 13, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Garage
Re: New Engine

1st question:
It looks like the head bolts were reused from his original engine and look to be stock. Do i change them out with ARP bolts while the engine is out or leave them as is as there are no leaks or problems?

69 X-44 Camaro, slowly upgrading to my liking...Hmmm, i guess i'll never be done

1969 Step Side LWB C10
post #3 of 274 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 13, 04:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Don, I'd call the seller and ask if he reused the head bolts or used new stock ones. Those are supposed to be one time use only.

***Edit***

It looks like your head bolts are black. I know mine were original, and I seem to recall them being silver in color.

post #4 of 274 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 13, 04:21 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

Agreed on the head bolts. They are TTY and dont get re-used. I did not look up the specs on the cam, but if there was a PTV clearance problem, i'm sure it would have shown itself the first time the motor was run. No need for electric water pump unless you just want it. Have fun with the swap. Post pics

69 RS LS3/T56
68 Firebird vert LS1/4L60E
67 RS LS2/T56
post #5 of 274 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 13, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Garage

^Good idea

OK…just messaged the person i bought the motor from.

he's reply…they are ARP bolts…so i know i'm good to go since they can be reused even if they were on his other build

1969 Step Side LWB C10
post #6 of 274 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 13, 09:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
the BOSS&Ralph

It is possible to have a condition where you have some clearance and an engine will be fine in normal driving but in an extreme rpm situation (and/or valve float) you have contact. You can probably get some good feedback on your combination from an LS forum. Valve clearance with detailed information is a common topic.
post #7 of 274 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 13, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Nice buy. It would be nice if it were EFI'd on the install...maybe EFI is included in the kit?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 274 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 13, 03:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Here's the part number for the L99 water pump. This is off the newer Camaro's, but it uses the same accessory spacing as the 6.0/5.3 trucks:#19207665

Here's a comparison of the LQ9 vs the L99 Pump. The L99 pump will put the radiator hose on the driver's side so you can reuse your existing radiator.

You'll also need a new tensioner: AC Delco part #12628025

Here's the thread on LS1tech.com with a bunch of info: http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...pump-pics.html

This pump looks the same as the LS3 pump, but the LS3 pump puts the accessories closer to the engine. The LS3 is a manual camaro, the L99 is the automatic.

post #9 of 274 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 13, 05:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Nice buy. It would be nice if it were EFI'd on the install...maybe EFI is included in the kit?
He was supposed to get everything with the intake (fuel rails, injectors, etc)

post #10 of 274 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 13, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Cool! PCM also?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #11 of 274 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 13, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Garage

My head engineer (Brent) has a place to buy a new PCM tuned for my car set up. I also have to buy a new harness, i'm going to try and do the TBW route? I got an Xlink with the engine buy.
LOL…i think i'll just give my CC to Brent since he's done all the research and knows were to buy everything. I'll be using his build thread for a lot of my build.

1969 Step Side LWB C10
post #12 of 274 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 13, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Garage

Actually thought of that. I'm trying not to remove the heads as they worked fine on his truck about a 1000 miles. When i went for a ride with him he had no problem getting on it and did take it to the drags for several 1/4 mile runs. I have been on LS1tech and found some people have had problems and some not. There is a build over on the truck side that this engine was used for the build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlyviper View Post
It is possible to have a condition where you have some clearance and an engine will be fine in normal driving but in an extreme rpm situation (and/or valve float) you have contact. You can probably get some good feedback on your combination from an LS forum. Valve clearance with detailed information is a common topic.

1969 Step Side LWB C10
post #13 of 274 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 13, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
He was supposed to get everything with the intake (fuel rails, injectors, etc)
If you look at the second picture you can see the fuel rail sitting on the LS3 intake. I have the 43#lb injectors, but did not get the coil packs with the buy, which i thought i was?

1969 Step Side LWB C10
post #14 of 274 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 13, 06:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

That cam is a 223/231, so it's not a huge cam. You can post it over on LS1tech and see what they have to say about it. I think if it were going to have PTV issues, the previous owner would have found out on the 1/4 mile. I guess the only worry would be if you miss a shift and redline it hard. But to be 100% sure, you would have to pull the heads and clay the pistons.

You could try calling/PM'ing Martin from Tick Performance. He's a cam guru, and knows what will fit and what might have issues.

post #15 of 274 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 13, 06:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondb View Post
If you look at the second picture you can see the fuel rail sitting on the LS3 intake. I have the 43#lb injectors, but did not get the coil packs with the buy, which i thought i was?
Another $100+.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode