real world LS conversion costs - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 14, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

real world LS conversion costs

I would like to get some feedback from anyone who has went the route of a junkyard LS into there camaro and what type of end of project total money invested to do the complete conversion. I have been weighting out the LS junkyard conversion vs a 383 or Dart 400 build and need some realistic feedback. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 14, 03:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Re: real world LS conversion costs

It really depends on what you get with your motor from the yard. if you can get a complete drop out, it will be less expensive.

In addition to the cost of my motor, which was not a drop out, I have purchased the following:

Dougs headers and adapters, approximately $600
Cam, lifters, springs, approximately $500
I also did a TKO 5 speed complete kit
GMPP front accessory drive kit $550 (alt, PS, No A/C)

I did go carb on mine instead of FI, so I also purchased a manifold ($300), MSD box ($350), fuel pump ($200) and Carb ($400)

I paid to much for my motor, I had planned on just having the heads done and ended up rebuilding the entire bottom end. if I had that purchase to do over again, I would have purchased a higher mileage motor and just planned on rebuilding it.

I know I am not really answering your question, but hopefully this will give you some help.

Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5.3L LM7, Carb conversion, TKO 5 speed
It's gonna run this year!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 14, 04:12 PM
Tech Team

i bought a 57,000 mile LS1 pullout with computer and 4l60e trans for 3500.
speedometer,wiring harness,drive shaft,crossmember, headers,exhaust radiator and fans i spent another 2500.
i recommend a new wiring harness.
don't let anyone talk u into modifed harness,ask me how i know.
hope this helps

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 14, 06:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Garage

2004 LQ9 engine 55k miles on bottom end with ls3 heads and intake. T56 tranny rebuilt to a level 2, PCM and harness from PSI, Tank inc. EFI system, Hooker engine and frame brackets, hooker transmission mount, holley oil pan. 90 mm nick williams tb . Then all the odds and ends to hook everything up, i'll have about 11k into my swap.

69 X-44 Camaro, slowly upgrading to my liking...Hmmm, i guess i'll never be done
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 Camaro LE SS...Many upgrades
1969 Step Side LWB C10
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 14, 06:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshook View Post
I would like to get some feedback from anyone who has went the route of a junkyard LS into there camaro and what type of end of project total money invested to do the complete conversion. I have been weighting out the LS junkyard conversion vs a 383 or Dart 400 build and need some realistic feedback. Thanks
How much do you think the LS swap will cost?

Double it. That'll put you in the ballpark.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 14, 06:34 AM
Tech Team
Robert

I posted a detailed list of parts I bought and the total cost for me to install a LQ4 with a 700r4 in a 69. Just do a search for: LQ4 to 69 camaro swap parts list.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 14, 07:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
How much do you think the LS swap will cost?

Double it. That'll put you in the ballpark.

5.3L LM7, Carb conversion, TKO 5 speed
It's gonna run this year!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 14, 03:39 PM
Guess

It adds up fast to do it right.
If you are tossing around the idea of a good 383 or Dart A400 vs. an LS, go with a rather new LS3 or LS7 and add the cost of machine work, cam, intake.... etc. Are you keeping your trans and rear end? Add in suspension to handle the new HP\TQ.
Carb or EFI?
New gauges?
Brake upgrade?

Just to drop a complete LS and 4L65 trans in my 69 cost $5000+ after the engine/trans were purchased.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 14, 04:41 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Roughly $1000-$1500ish and carbed.
Holley pan, MSD 6010, VicJr. LS3 head intake, swap mounts, and some misc. parts.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 14, 11:18 AM
Tech Team
Steve

Im doing this right now

5.3 long block vatted, honed, new bearings etc with polished crank and stock heads was 300.00.
Sold stock heads for $150.00 and purchased a set of ls6 heads for 350.00
ls6 intake for $100 with injectors and fuel rail (steal)
Nice aftermarket cam 1k mileage $200.00
dingo slide mount motor mounts $100, bran new
Hardened pushrods $100
new dual spring valve springs retainers-seals-locks up to .650 lift. $225
stand alone harness from someone who quit there project $250
replaced the dish 5.3 with a set of 2010 5.3 ho pistons/rods. $125
complete gasket set $125
head bolts/studs $70
hummer h3 pan ( hangs lower than holley) but comes with everything $150
Ebay ls1 ceramic conversion headers $200

Parts I need

I' need a good 4l60 and stall, $1200-1500
Pcm $ 100 used but to do a proper conversion you need a tune another $350-500
misc sensors and fluids $500 or so.
car waterpump $125
modify truck brackets or purchase a fbody setup $300-500

It's not really that cheap but it can be down way cheaper than a lot of people think. Also ls1tech is your best friend!, great ls info on that site.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 14, 04:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenb8 View Post
Ebay ls1 ceramic conversion headers $200

Parts I need
You left out the 5lb sledge to make those headers fit. Ask how I know....

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 14, 06:47 PM
Tech Team
Steve

That's why I bought the dingo slider mounts. Yes a love tap may be needed depending on your setup but not near as bad as others who used std mounts motor mounts locations. I can move my engine forward or back 2 In". they are $200 compared to $500-600 on up.

Also some are using the low frame mounts but should be using the tall ones to raise the pan/engine a little which gives you even more clearance for the gear box/slope in the pan. Others are even adding another plate under the fame mounts, several ways to do it but I prefer the dingo sliders as I can place it where I want.

edit.. you had dingo slide mounts.. sorry

I looked at your setup again and noticed you have a different gear box, could that be your issue? When I test fitted my setup I didn't have near the issues you had with your headers.

BTW... 67 rally, your build thread is great! awesome car and I stole a few ideas from ya in my build process.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 14, 05:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenb8 View Post
That's why I bought the dingo slider mounts. Yes a love tap may be needed depending on your setup but not near as bad as others who used std mounts motor mounts locations. I can move my engine forward or back 2 In". they are $200 compared to $500-600 on up.

Also some are using the low frame mounts but should be using the tall ones to raise the pan/engine a little which gives you even more clearance for the gear box/slope in the pan. Others are even adding another plate under the fame mounts, several ways to do it but I prefer the dingo sliders as I can place it where I want.

edit.. you had dingo slide mounts.. sorry

I looked at your setup again and noticed you have a different gear box, could that be your issue? When I test fitted my setup I didn't have near the issues you had with your headers.

BTW... 67 rally, your build thread is great! awesome car and I stole a few ideas from ya in my build process.
Yes, I have the Dirty Dingo slider mounts as well as an adjustable trans x-member and there was no position where I didn't have to bang on those headers to get them to fit. Not a big deal, but they did not fit as is. I'm using the tall & narrow frame mounts and tall & narrow Energy Suspension engine mounts. My steering box is a Delphi 670 box. Nice upgrade over the stock non-PS I had before!

Glad you could steal some ideas!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 14, 11:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael

I know your stated goal is a low cost swap but something you need to take into account as well is how much time it takes to ensure you have components that fit and work together well. Some of the above posters have listed 10 to 11k as their final prices for swaps and then still having to massage pieces to make it work. You can save yourself some time and effort by choosing something like this http://www.texas-speed.com/p-3564-ts...y-package.aspx

It's a package that works right out of the box with great components. It's mostly a time vs. money issue but for my two cents there are some great turn key deals out there that work great and take a great deal of the research and massaging parts out of the equation.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 14, 12:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas67resto View Post
I know your stated goal is a low cost swap but something you need to take into account as well is how much time it takes to ensure you have components that fit and work together well. Some of the above posters have listed 10 to 11k as their final prices for swaps and then still having to massage pieces to make it work. You can save yourself some time and effort by choosing something like this http://www.texas-speed.com/p-3564-ts...y-package.aspx

It's a package that works right out of the box with great components. It's mostly a time vs. money issue but for my two cents there are some great turn key deals out there that work great and take a great deal of the research and massaging parts out of the equation.
The only thing I see there is an $11,000 engine.

You still need to figure out engine mounts, trans x-member, transmission, headers, fuel tank/pump/regulator, radiator, hoses...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode