67 Possible LS1 Swap - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 14, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
A

67 Possible LS1 Swap

So I've been offered an ls1 with a 4l60e out of an 02 camaro. I want to know if this would a good engine Trans for me.

What I'm looking to do is have my 67 be my daily driver. I drive 65 miles a day all hwy. I am looking to get at least 20mpg.

So would this be possible with this engine and Trans? My rear gears would probably stay the same I have a 10bolt with 3.08 gears I believe.

So I'd like to get some input and suggestions on this.

1967 RS In Progress
327 with a 4 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 14, 10:15 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Re: 67 Possible LS1 Swap

This should be more than possible. If the ls1 is stock, those cars made around 315 hp advertised. The transmission is an overdrive with a .69 final gear if i remember correctly, and with those gears and a 27" tall tire, you will be turning around 2000 rpm at 75 mph + or - a 100-200 rpm. So realistically, being that 67's are a few hundred pounds lighter (v8 curb weight was lowest than any other year at around 3000lbs) than an 2002, and they rated the gas mileage of the ss cars at up to 19/31 city/highway respectively. So yes you should be able to expect to get better than 20 with ease, as long as you can keep your foot out of it. Which we are all mature adults here and never press the pedal down too far. I try to tell people all the time that HP is not the enemy in gas mileage. Power to weight ratio is not just for how fast a car can go, but rather how hard the engine has to work, how much fuel it has to consume to deliver the same results. I bet you will get 24-26 all day long. If not better.

1967 RS/SS Camaro 383 5 speed tremec 3.70
1967 RS/SS Camaro 383 5 speed tremec 4.10
1967 RS Camaro Convertible 327 4 speed 3.73
1969 SS Camaro 6.0 LS Twin Turbo 5 Speed 3.50
2013 ZL1 Camaro roto-fab airbox pulley swap Rest In Pieces March 27 2014
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 14, 07:52 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: 67 Possible LS1 Swap

The 2002 3.8 V6 Camaro was mpg rated at 17/29, the LS1 V8 was rated at 16/23 and advertised HP was 310 in the Z28 and 325 in the SS (same engine different air intake and exhaust). The 2002 car weighs in at about 3400lbs so as Sean said there is a big weight savings in the curb weight of the '67.

I've seen 23mpg in my '69 with a Holley carb'd 383, 700r4, 26" tall tires and 3:73 gears. That was attained by filling up, getting on the hwy and driving 60 mph until I got off the hwy and filled the tank. Same setup but 3:42 gears and driving 70-75 mph got me 21mpg. During both of these examples it was steady driving, no speeding up and slowing down, no wot passing to get around a truck etc.

My point is proper gearing and having the torque in the right place along with driver self control is a major factor in squeezing mpg's out of a 3000+ lb V8 equipped car. The computer controlled LS1 has a lot more going for it than a carb'd engine and will make it easier to attain best mpg numbers but it will still come down to final drivetrain design and driver style in the end.

You're not going to see mpg improvements if you have a super tall final gear that put's the cruise speed at rpm below where the engine starts making power. Think about the terrain, if you drive 60mph @ 1500 rpm on flat ground then start climbing a hill and the engine doesn't make enough power at 1500 rpm you'll be mashing the gas pedal to keep your speed and there goes your mpg!

of course ymmv,

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode