LS bug bit me - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 14, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

LS bug bit me

I just recently finished a very healthy 406 and have been enjoying it for the last month or so, it has a ton of power. I have a few close friends with Pro Touring styled rides and LS engines. I have to say, I'm impressed with the performance and drivability of the LS combinations.I'm hooked and am planning an LS build for this winter. I wish I would have made this decision before I built the 406 but I didn't

I had already planned to do a TKO600 or T56 swap but I have decided to go all in. My car isn't a numbers car and it's mine so I'm going to make it how I want it I have always been a purist but have appreciated the P/T look as well.

I have looked at several LS1/T56 drop outs but the LS1 scares me a bit. I have read where an original LS1 cannot be bored more than .008 due to very thin liners. I have pretty much made up my mind that I'm going to start with an LQ9. I have been researching as much as I can about engine mounts, headers, oil pan fit, fuel systems etc...

I found several LQ9's in my area with ECM, harness, accessories in the $1000 range but I will end up replacing most of the compenents. ( heads, intake, pan, front accessories. I have a line on an LS2 out of a wrecked GTO but it's considerably higher at $2800. I'm not going to get into a rush just yet and buy something. I need to do a lot more research.

I plan to sell my current 406/ muncie combination to free up some funds to do this right. I will be picking some of your brains for sure. I read Brent's (67 Rally) thread this weekend. He was very informative with his research and I learned quite a bit about what pitfalls are out there.

This is going to be a busy winter as I plan to do a DSE mini tub as well. Any suggestions or comments (good or bad) are always welcomed.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 14, 12:06 PM
John

Garage
Re: LS bug bit me

I have an LS7/T56. We are building my son's LQ9 with LS3 Heads. Just did an LS3 480Hp swap on my buddies 69. Looking for a 4th Gen LS/T56 drop out for another 69 right now. Trying to stay under 60K miles. Might go GTO LS2 set up but it's a little more work on the tranny side.

You can bore and stroke an LS1/LS6 to 402. With a good cam and a simple LS6 Intake you can make some very good power.

LQ9 is iron block so you have a little extra weight on the front but it's not that big of deal.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 14, 12:09 PM
Senior Tech
Al

My advice.....Don't run with those wolves

Wish it had been more common when I put my sbc together as I'm now kinda married to it. If I were starting from scratch I'd do it w/o question

From what I've read you really start shelling out the dough after you purchase the motor.

Have fun on the project - that's what it's all about.

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 14, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
You can bore and stroke an LS1/LS6 to 402. With a good cam and a simple LS6 Intake you can make some very good power.
It is my understanding that the original LS1 has very thin bores that can only be bored/honed .008 max. Am I misinformed?

Mike

post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 14, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post

Have fun on the project - that's what it's all about.
This is mostly about the "project" for me. I enjoy the shop time as much and sometimes more than the drive time. The time spent in the shop working with my son is priceless to me, no matter what we are working on

Mike

post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 14, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Might go GTO LS2 set up but it's a little more work on the tranny side.
Can you explain the trans issues with using the LS2? I'm an LS moron so I'm learning as I go.

Mike

post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 14, 12:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcMasters View Post
I just recently finished a very healthy 406 and have been enjoying it for the last month or so, it has a ton of power. I have a few close friends with Pro Touring styled rides and LS engines. I have to say, I'm impressed with the performance and drivability of the LS combinations.I'm hooked and am planning an LS build for this winter. I wish I would have made this decision before I built the 406 but I didn't

I had already planned to do a TKO600 or T56 swap but I have decided to go all in. My car isn't a numbers car and it's mine so I'm going to make it how I want it I have always been a purist but have appreciated the P/T look as well.

I have looked at several LS1/T56 drop outs but the LS1 scares me a bit. I have read where an original LS1 cannot be bored more than .008 due to very thin liners. I have pretty much made up my mind that I'm going to start with an LQ9. I have been researching as much as I can about engine mounts, headers, oil pan fit, fuel systems etc...

I found several LQ9's in my area with ECM, harness, accessories in the $1000 range but I will end up replacing most of the compenents. ( heads, intake, pan, front accessories. I have a line on an LS2 out of a wrecked GTO but it's considerably higher at $2800. I'm not going to get into a rush just yet and buy something. I need to do a lot more research.

I plan to sell my current 406/ muncie combination to free up some funds to do this right. I will be picking some of your brains for sure. I read Brent's (67 Rally) thread this weekend. He was very informative with his research and I learned quite a bit about what pitfalls are out there.

This is going to be a busy winter as I plan to do a DSE mini tub as well. Any suggestions or comments (good or bad) are always welcomed.

Mike
Glad the thread was informative. My build thread is pretty long and it can be hard to find some of the info. I posted the same info over on LS1Tech.com, but kept all the info strictly to the LS swap, you can reference it here if you need any part numbers:http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...67-camaro.html

My advice (I wish I had listened to this) is: "If you are going to drop the motor in as it sits, then buy a complete dropout motor." but "If you are going to replace just about everything, just start with a long or even a short block."

The idea of buying a lower mile junkyard LS engine sounds great, but then you'll realize that the alternator is ugly and corroded, then you'll want to swap the cam while before you install then engine. Then you might as well replace the timing chain. Now's a good time to swap on a better set of heads. You don't feel like tearing the old harness apart yourself, so you might as well buy a new harness. You've heard that you can pick up a few HP by swapping out the intake, or maybe the truck intake is just plain ugly, but now the accessory locations won't work, so you'll need new brackets, or all new accessories....

I would highly recommend sitting down and figuring out exactly what you want out of your engine, and how you want it to look before you purchase anything. A lot of guys here (especially Vega$) have done the swap and can help you along the way.

post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 14, 12:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Can you explain the trans issues with using the LS2? I'm an LS moron so I'm learning as I go.

Mike
I'm actually using a GTO T56. The only issues I can think of are that the shifter is further back down the tunnel, but you can swap in an F-Body shifter and shifter cup pretty easily. And the bellhousing requires a different starter than the F-Body/Truck engines use. There may be more, but I've probably forgotten them by now.

post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 14, 12:45 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post

I would highly recommend sitting down and figuring out exactly what you want out of your engine, and how you want it to look before you purchase anything. A lot of guys here (especially Vega$) have done the swap and can help you along the way.
Thanks. The engine is the least expensive part of the swap.

#1 determine your goal and establish a budget. Every car I've built I got for 50 cents or less on the dollar because the guys underestimated the total costs.

IMO it's going to cost $10K if you get a good motor and tranny deal.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 14, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Very good advice Brent and John!

Brent,

I was thinking along those same lines. The more I thought about how much I planned to remove from the truck 6.0, the more it doesn't make sense to go that route. Like I said, I have some research to do and I need to focus on my expectations from the combination. Like everything else I do, I will probably go over budget but don't we all..

Mike

post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 14, 05:21 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

Mike,

Good choice! I lit my LS3 crate up yesterday and I can't wait to get back in the garage and get this thing on the street.

Build thread is in my signature. I used all the new Holley swap stuff and I do not regret it. Prices are all in line with every other setup and you have ground clearance. Lots of it.

Good luck and ask away....

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
2 x 1967 R/Tís
1977 Power Wagon
1978 Liíl Red Express
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 14, 06:12 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:

Mike
Well Mike, based on discussions you and I have had recently, I'm not surprised at all to read this post. I figured an LS conversion was in your future, like not a case of IF but more WHEN

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 14, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

I have issues Scott

post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 14, 06:27 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:

I have issues Scott
Mike, I firmly believe many of us out here have issues, I'm not judging anyone and I fall into that same category

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 14, 06:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Another guy with issues . . . and a 440 RWHP (Mustang Dyno) LS3 getting 24 MPG through a T56 with 4.11 gears out back.

I got it on the road at the end of April, and have a little under 3,000 miles on it now. I can actually drive this thing and have fun rather than worrying about whether I'll be able to afford fuel.

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode