Mini Tub Rear Axle Housing Questions - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 15, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Mini Tub Rear Axle Housing Questions

I have a 69 Camaro coupe and I and thinking about mini tubing the car and I am trying to gather all the information and costs so I know what I am getting myself into. What cost is involved in the rear axle housing and axle shafts? As in costs I mean shortening them or are guys just buying the axle and housing ready to go? How do you know what length you want to go with? Any info would be great. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 15, 08:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
David

Re: Mini Tub Rear Axle Housing Questions

If you're like many of us that got a camaro with the stock 10bolt replacing it with a new 12bolt would be the best way to go. When I purchased mine from Moser a few yrs back the cost for a new one with narrower axles and tubes is same cost as a stock sized one.
In fact when I got mine I chose to upgrade to a gbar/4-link and got that setup instead of leaf perches from them.
Give them a call and get a quote for what you're looking for.
Lastly, I believe I got my diff made about 2.5" narrower...but dont order until you're sure of all the variables you want. Suspension, wheels with back space, etc.

68 coupe ,572,tko
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 15, 06:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

Needless to say if you do the work yourself you will save a lot of money.

I mini tubed the rear of my car and changed the rear axle to a Ford 9 inch type. The leaf springs are gone and I installed a four link. I cannot tell you the costs involved but if you are curious about the installation process, look at my build thread. The mini tubing starts on page 7 post 92. Fabrication of the rear axle starts on page 25 post 366. I tried to show how to determine the length of the axle. The title is 1969 Firebird convertible.

My car is a convertible. If yours is a coupe, adding mini tubs is a little easier.

Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you car parts which is bout the same thang.
Patrick

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 15, 10:52 AM
Senior Tech

As stated above, the cost is going to depend on a lot of different factors, especially, depending upon who is going to do the work. If you are planning on doing the fabrication yourself, the cost will be significantly cheaper, but it may take much longer. If you are paying someone to do the work, then the cost could be very high due to the labor rates. Are you up to doing the work yourself? If so, then there are different ways to do the mini-tubbing, depending upon what specifically you want. New inner wheel tubs could be purchased ($s) or the originals could be cut and widened (cheap). Axle: do you have a 12 bolt or a 10 bolt? A new axle with cost about the same at whatever width you choose. The axle width you want is going to depend upon which wheels (width/offset) you are going to use. The wheel width is going to depend upon the tires you want to use.

First, you need to determine which tires you want. Second, you want to determine which wheels you want to go with those tires. With those two choices you can determine what kind of tubbing project you want/need to do, and the axle width is calculated based upon where specifically you want the tires/wheels to sit in the wheel house. Do you have an idea of what you want? 335/315/290/275-15/16/17/18s?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 15, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

If I decide to do the mini tub I will be doing it myself, I have the stock 10 bolt and I also have a stock width 12 bolt housing and axles. I am really on the fence about doing the mini tub, I really like the squatted down lowered look but to be honest about it I don't think I will ever hit the track with the car. My intention with the car will be a reliable driver. Do you think I can get that squatted down pro touring look with going with drop leaf springs and aftermarket front control arms? Are there any negatives going with the drop leaf springs? For a driver if I do go with the ridetech 4 link will I notice an improvement with daily street driving? Thanks for any info. Thanks
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 15, 08:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

How low do you want to go?

DSE 3" drop leafs
Hotchkis 2" drop springs and tubular LCA's
17x7 front and 18x8 rear wheels/tires

Jason
2009 CTS-V - 1968 Camaro 327/M20 Sequoia Green
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 15, 09:20 AM
Senior Tech
gary

You don't necessarily have to narrow a rearend to go mini-tubs and wide Pro-touring wheels, unless you want really deep dish wheels on the back. I have a standard width 12 bolt, 335/18 tires on 18x12 wheels and have about a 4" wheel lip. And yes, the Ridetech 4-link definitely rides better than the dropped leaf springs I used to have.

Gary

'69 Camaro - 383 SBC w/ 440 hp, Crossram Dual-quad w/ Holley HP EFI, Tremec TKO, Ridetech Coilover Suspension w/TruTurn, Billet-Specialties Draft 18x9, 18x12, BFG KDW 275/335

Last edited by garymac69; Apr 19th, 17 at 04:59 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 15, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Garymac69, with your suspension and wheels and tires setup do you have any clearance or rubbing problems at all with your combination? Thanks
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 15, 09:26 AM
Senior Tech
gary

I have no rubbing in the rear, and no rubbing in front after I limited the turn radius a little. However, I do see where the front tires have hit the top of the inner fender and rubbed off some undercoating. I think this is from a big dip in the highway close to my house.
Gary

'69 Camaro - 383 SBC w/ 440 hp, Crossram Dual-quad w/ Holley HP EFI, Tremec TKO, Ridetech Coilover Suspension w/TruTurn, Billet-Specialties Draft 18x9, 18x12, BFG KDW 275/335
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 15, 09:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
David

If your car's in the rebuild process you'll never regret doing mini tub.

68 coupe ,572,tko
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 15, 06:11 PM
Tech Team
Charles

Garage

Mini tub question, DSE has the reputation, but would the mini tubs sold by restoration performance fit the bill? They sell the L/R wheelhouse much cheaper than DSE. Any other options out there? Thanks

Last edited by First69x11; Apr 4th, 15 at 06:27 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 15, 03:27 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

GREAT lookin' car Gary !!
Steve

Steve
69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-FORCE LS7, DSE Sub, T56 MAG, Recaro, Wilwood disc, Racepak IQ3S, SpeedTech TA/JRI CO's, Pro-Venom 250s, Forgeline CV3C 20/19 - SOLD
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 15, 07:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Post Re: Mini Tub Rear Axle Housing Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by First69x11 View Post
Mini tub question, DSE has the reputation, but would the mini tubs sold by restoration performance fit the bill? They sell the L/R wheelhouse much cheaper than DSE. Any other options out there? Thanks
I have the DSE ones in my car, DSE produces an excellent product. Where did you find the Restoration Performance one Cheaper? RP lists theirs at $462 vs DSE at $350

http://www.restorationperformance.co...ep-wheel-tubs/

http://www.detroitspeed.com/1967-196...body-pg-1.html

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 15, 09:42 AM
Senior Tech
Shad

I used an aftermarket deep tub that looks like DSE tubs. If I had to do it over, I'd use DSE's deep tub even if they were a couple hundred higher. I had to widen the tubs an extra 1/2-1" to get full width which defeated the purpose of buying deep tubs and the DSE's templates will save you time.

Dynacorn 6" minitub setup
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...light=mini+tub

My Mistress rebuild...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 15, 12:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Eric

Does anyone know anything about GLA tubs? I understand they do not require the cutting of the frame rails. I would love to know more, however the only info about them comes from other forums and no link to any site or anything. I'm running the Chassisworks G-link and I would love to mini tub my car, I just don't want to cut into the frame.

Eric.B
Denver, CO
1967 Camaro

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode