Day 5 (last update of past work):
I started by wiring up the new sensors to the control box and then armed with 25 ft rolls of 18 gauge wire that included red, black, green and blue colours I proceeded to run lengths of wire from where they were snipped off to where the control box would be mounted. Once that was done I ran the constant power from the battery using a crimp on fuse block, the accessory power was run from the harness and everything was connected up to the control box.
I then mounted the control box and unconnected each wire and snipped off the excess and reconnected so that I didn't have a ton of wiring behind my dash and to give it a cleaner feel. Once that was done the switches were mounted in the glove box with double sided tape and wired up to the control box. After getting everything wired up I put a few zip ties in to get the wires grouped up and keep things looking clean, however I think I am going to go back and cut them off and get some lengths of wire loom for an even cleaner look (damn my OCD!).
With everything wired up I connected all the gauges to the control box (they were just sitting on the seat) and reconnected the battery. With a flip of the key and to my delight, somehow everything actually worked! The fuel gauge and speedo needed calibration of course and the fuel gauge was done in 2 minutes, but everything worked and I was ecstatic. I was betting on me screwing something up and spending another day cussing at myself trying to find out what it was. Unfortunately I do not have completed pics showing the control box mounted and wired up but I will get that when I head out in a couple weekends to go work on the car again.
With a huge victory on the gauges and it still being early afternoon I called up my older brother who is an electrician. He brought out his soldering kit and we went to work on wiring up the LED tail lights, which went pretty smooth until we when to test fit them in the housings. The housings were too narrow and the LED panels would not slide back far enough (new ones have been ordered and should be here in a few days), however we were still able to get everything wired up, tested for proper function and cleaned up with some wire loom. The new lights required me to run a power source from the harness to the lights for the circuit board and I ran this one beneath the carpet on the drivers side then behind the rear seats. Removing those rear seats did not require as much strength as I thought it would but wow was I kinda twisted up like a contortionist to get a proper position. I did not get any pictures of testing out the new lights as that was happening at like 10:30 PM but will do so when they are mounted!
My next round of parts is due to arrive this Wednesday and will be heading out in a couple weekends to put a little more time into the car.