Hooker LS swap headers/exhaust for 69 with Hotchkis rear sway bar - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 15, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Hooker LS swap headers/exhaust for 69 with Hotchkis rear sway bar

Not sure where this should go, but I am planning an LS3/T56 swap into my 69 using all Holley/Hooker swap components. I'm wondering if anybody knows if their exhaust will work around the Hotchkis TVS rear bar. I'd like to go 3" if possible. Thanks

And this too shall pass.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 X11 SS, Glacier Blue, LS3 480, T56 Mag, Lots of stuff done to it, all by yours truly
Build thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 15, 05:38 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Hooker LS swap headers/exhaust for 69 with Hotchkis rear sway bar

I have Dual 2 1/2" out of the mufflers and over the axle and out the back on my '69 ragtop with a Hotchkis rear bar. The exhaust cools a lot by the time it gets through the mufflers and having 3" from headers to mufflers and 2 1/2" from the mufflers would not hurt performance because as the air cools down it contracts/condenses...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 15, 05:39 PM
John

Garage

X2

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 15, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
I have Dual 2 1/2" out of the mufflers and over the axle and out the back on my '69 ragtop with a Hotchkis rear bar. The exhaust cools a lot by the time it gets through the mufflers and having 3" from headers to mufflers and 2 1/2" from the mufflers would not hurt performance because as the air cools down it contracts/condenses...
Thats interesting, I hadn't thought of that. Seems like that might be the way to go. Wonder if I can get Hooker to hook me up with a hybrid 3 into 2.5 without having to buy both systems?

And this too shall pass.

69 X11 SS, Glacier Blue, LS3 480, T56 Mag, Lots of stuff done to it, all by yours truly
Build thread:

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 15, 07:06 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by workng247 View Post
Thats interesting, I hadn't thought of that. Seems like that might be the way to go. Wonder if I can get Hooker to hook me up with a hybrid 3 into 2.5 without having to buy both systems?
Hybrid?

3" collector to 3" muffler and the muffler shop can run 2 1/2" from muffler back

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 15, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Hybrid?

3" collector to 3" muffler and the muffler shop can run 2 1/2" from muffler back
No muffler shop at my house.

And this too shall pass.

Build thread:

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 15, 08:38 PM
Tech Team
tom

I've got the 3" setup on my 68 with a ridetech 4 link and I have to do some custom fabbing to go over the rear end. It won't work with the way they're bent now. I'm considering running them below the rear end. For the time being I just turned them down before the rear end.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 15, 04:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

I had a shop try to install the 3" Magnaflow X-Pipe system with my Hotchkis rear sway bar and they said it was just too tight.

I went with a 2.5" Flowmaster H-Pipe system with Magnaflow cans. I later switched the front half to a Magnaflow 2.5" X-Pipe, but kept the 2.5" Flowmaster over axle pipes.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 15, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
I had a shop try to install the 3" Magnaflow X-Pipe system with my Hotchkis rear sway bar and they said it was just too tight.

I went with a 2.5" Flowmaster H-Pipe system with Magnaflow cans. I later switched the front half to a Magnaflow 2.5" X-Pipe, but kept the 2.5" Flowmaster over axle pipes.
Good to know Brent, thanks. You know of anybody using Hookers LS swap exhaust with the Hotchkis bar?

And this too shall pass.

Build thread:

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 15, 08:06 AM
Tech Team
Bob

Here check this : I already gave my advise .
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=328586
You have to have the sway bar support bars cut and re welded so that they connect to the out side of the bar. I have 3'' All the way out with no rubs ....In this photo I had a spacer in the top mount with a grade 8 bolt to get them outside.
Here you can see how the bar has to be modded.

Some elipting was needed here also.

Hope this helps I had the fing tail pipes off 8 times I had to shorten 1 tail pipe and leave the band clamps loose some go all the way home some get stretched a little . Hope this helps it's a PITA but is possible.
Good Luck

69 rest-o-mod Marvin's Menace
496 solid roller motor 655 HP, T-56, Hodchkis TVS, Flush Glass, Chrome-less,
tire melter
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 15, 08:16 AM
Tech Team
Bob

A big vice and a big hammer and some patients , you could always take them to a muffler shop and have a nicer looking job done.
The $$ was not a option in my case, I just wanted the fers on . Plus the 3" dumps look bad *** .

tire melter
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 15, 08:27 AM
Tech Team
Bob

forgot to mention Dynatec muscelmax exhaust.

tire melter
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 15, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Thanks for the input Bob, looks like you made it work and your car looks BAD ***. No sense letting the muffler shop have all the fun anyways.

And this too shall pass.

Build thread:

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 15, 08:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

You can buy just the 2.5" tailpipe section without buying the rest of the exhaust. Just buy the 3" system you want, then a reducer to 2.5" with the 2.5" over the axle tail pipes. Like I said, Flowmaster fits, maybe some of the others do as well. Flowmasters are around $125-$150 for as set of tailpipes. Or you can bend/dimple the 3" pipes.

Obviously if you can run a 2.5" tail pipe without it hurting your performance, then you can get away with putting some pretty good sized dimples in there without it hurting performance as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode