Electric Speedo?? - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 15, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

Electric Speedo??

My question is have any of you guys gals ran the VSS converter "if that's what it's called" at the firewall then from there the regular cable to the tranny? If I have this all wrong in my assessment let me know. I have the classic update AAW harness and will be running Speed Hut guages TH350 tranny.
Thanks

68 Resto-Mod in progress..355sbc .350 Trans Rushforth wheels
My Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 15, 07:47 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Electric Speedo??

Not that I have ever used one of these - don't they attach at the transmission then wire up to the digital gauge? So no speedo cable needed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 15, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
Not that I have ever used one of these - don't they attach at the transmission then wire up to the digital gauge? So no speedo cable needed?
That's what I was kind of stumped on Brian. I did a search but no results here. Figured maybe somebody here had done this before.
I may try the GPS speedo out as well.

My Build:

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 15, 09:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

You should be able to use something like this: http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...109/prd109.htm

I was going to do something similar when I had the old Saginaw and electronic speedo. I ended up using a GPS sender instead, but the issue with that was I would drop the speedo signal whenever I was in a tunnel, and there are several tunnels here in Boston. There is also some lag time with the GPS sender, it's not instantaneous.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 15, 01:58 PM
John

Garage

I just sold a box that runs VSS to drive a motor that runs a cable speedo.

They work very well

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 15, 02:05 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Jon, my question is if your running Speedhut gauges (which are the best Ive ever used by the way) are you not going with GPS and ditching the need to connect to the tranny altogether ??
I didn't notice any lag with my Speedhut speedo

Steve
69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-FORCE LS7, DSE Sub, T56 MAG, Recaro, Wilwood disc, Racepak IQ3S, SpeedTech TA/JRI CO's, Pro-Venom 250s, Forgeline CV3C 20/19 - SOLD
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 15, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheck44 View Post
Jon, my question is if your running Speedhut gauges (which are the best Ive ever used by the way) are you not going with GPS and ditching the need to connect to the tranny altogether ??
I didn't notice any lag with my Speedhut speedo
That's a good point you and Brent have made together Steve. I just didn't know anything about the GPS stuff and how they worked for anyone else. How did you guys mount the GPS puck? Got any photos of your install? And does yours lag any like Brent describes his doing? And if you don't mind me asking which did you wind up going with the legacy etc..??

My Build:
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 15, 04:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Jonathon, I would second the GPS speedo signal option. Less wiring to run outside the body (to and from trans) and if you ever decide to change your trans to a overdrive (or any other one) it will be one less thing to deal with. Either way, I would call Speedhut and see what pulse their speedos require. Nice looking car!

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 15, 05:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

The lag time is only noticeable when accelerating hard. The GPS signal averages your speed over a given distance/time, so under normal driving it's not an issue. But it's a fairly common complaint under hard acceleration.

If you don't have tunnels or tall city buildings you'll be fine. In Boston we have both. If you have ever used GPS to get somewhere and it drops the signal or "misplaces" you on a map, then your GPS speedo would have dropped too. I had a Boston cop follow me through a 3+ mile long tunnel with no speedometer reading and I came out the other side doing about 10mph under the limit!

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 15, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
Jonathon, I would second the GPS speedo signal option. Less wiring to run outside the body (to and from trans) and if you ever decide to change your trans to a overdrive (or any other one) it will be one less thing to deal with. Either way, I would call Speedhut and see what pulse their speedos require. Nice looking car!
Thanks for the info Chris, I've got to figure out where to mount the puck to where it's not too noticeable if I go that route. Definitely the best way none the less without all the wiring headaches outside the cabin and back. Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
The lag time is only noticeable when accelerating hard. The GPS signal averages your speed over a given distance/time, so under normal driving it's not an issue. But it's a fairly common complaint under hard acceleration.

If you don't have tunnels or tall city buildings you'll be fine. In Boston we have both. If you have ever used GPS to get somewhere and it drops the signal or "misplaces" you on a map, then your GPS speedo would have dropped too. I had a Boston cop follow me through a 3+ mile long tunnel with no speedometer reading and I came out the other side doing about 10mph under the limit!
No big buildings here Brent. But good info to think about. I see the jump you describe in my boats GPS when taken to a hard acceleration. It will skip or round up until it catches up. I assume the pointer don't just jump to that speed? It just swings as fast as the gauge will let it up to the speed being ran?
Great info guys for sure...

My Build:
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 15, 08:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
the BOSS&Ralph

I notice the GPS lag getting on the highway. Another issue is I have gone as far as three miles before it aquires a signal after starting the car. Not always that far but 1/2 mile is pretty common.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 15, 05:13 AM
John

Garage

VSS to mechanical Speedo

http://www.abbott-tach.com/cablex.htm
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 15, 08:10 AM
Tech Team
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
But it's a fairly common complaint under hard acceleration.
shouldn't speeding tickets be a complaint under hard acceleration?

Justin Novick
Sales/Support
Entropy Radiator - The Sexiest Radiators For The Sexiest Hot Rods
(773) 303-8251 -

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 15, 08:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinEntropyRad View Post
shouldn't speeding tickets be a complaint under hard acceleration?
Technically I think they get you for exhibition of speed. You don't even have to break the speed limit for that, you just need to be having fun.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 15, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

Ordered gauges yesterday from Speedhut. Should be around 2 to 3 weeks for delivery. I will post up some pics when they arrive.

My Build:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode