68 Pro Touring "Style" Build Questions. - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 15, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Kyle

68 Pro Touring "Style" Build Questions.

So i want to set my car up pro touring style, it most likely wont ever hit the road course on a serious level but i want it to handle damn good on the road.

I know i want to go tubular control arms and coil overs up front and a coil over set up out back.

My questions are

1) When is a front subframe needed ? I was looking at the Speed Tech front subframe kit and its a pretty penny. Since im not actually racing, my subframe isnt damaged as far as i know will i need to spend that kind of money or just get all new control arms and all for mine and brace it up decent ?

2) I was looking at a BMR rear torque arm set up, would this help on traction on street driving as far as turns or something or should i be looking else where for a different set up ? Id like to keep it bolt in as this car definitely wont be driven to the point of custom fabbed 4 links and what not. I want a rear end that will keep my 12 bolt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 15, 08:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Re: 68 Pro Touring "Style" Build Questions.

Two words, Ride Tech. Use stock subframe and performs well. I have their front and rear systems (single adjustable) with the tru-turn. Drives great on the street and will be finding out the track characteristics (autocross) at this weekends Good Guys at Del Mar. The front is purely bolt in and the rear is 95% bolt in. You have to weld the upper link tabs on the rear. Other than that, it can be done on a long weekend. Ride tech has excellent customer service and they drive their cars at all of the major events (Good Guys, Power Tour, ect).

SpeedTech and Detroit Speed are also great choices. I went with RT because I wanted to keep the stock subframe.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 15, 03:05 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Kyle, Chris is correct that there are a few good choices out there. Do you need to get an aftermarket subframe to achieve what you want... no , would you want to get your stock subframe as close to the performance standards of an aftermarket ... sure, why not if it can be done. I went with Speedtech front and rear for a number of reasons. Price, quality and support .. Roger, Tim and Blake are simply awesome to deal with, I've spent hours with Roger on the phone.

Also, dont forget an absolute must if you go in this direction is a GOOD quick ratio steering box

Here's a couple of pics of my front chicane setup and rear torque arm with stock 12 bolt ...

Steve
69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-FORCE LS7, DSE Sub, T56 MAG, Recaro, Wilwood disc, Racepak IQ3S, SpeedTech TA/JRI CO's, Pro-Venom 250s, Forgeline CV3C 20/19 - SOLD

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 15, 07:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

If what you want is great handling for the street, that can be accomplished using the stock subframe, stock style front coil springs and separate shocks, and the stock leaf spring style rear suspension with separate shocks.

There's nothing wrong with spending lots of money, I've done it myself, but it's not needed for what you want to do.

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 15, 07:48 AM
John

Garage

Before you do anything determine exactly what you're looking for.

17" wheels, tires, shocks and sway bars can make a big difference.

#1 is to make sure all the parts you have now are tight and in good condition. Bushings, ball joints, pitman arm etc.

Are you looking for smoother ride, less body roll, better auto cross type cornering, straight line traction.?

There will be trade offs.

Stiffer will improve body roll and cornering yet make yield a ride that is too harsh for your liking.

So plan your build accordingly and determine a reasonable budget

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 15, 09:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brian

There are tons of options out there ranging from fixing worn out stock parts to a full frame under your car. The vast majority of available parts are great at accomplishing exactly what they were designed to do; I think most (admittedly not all) of the problems people have on here involve expectations that don't match up well with the system they're using. Can definitely learn what you need from the forums - plenty of extremely knowledgeable people on here! However, if you want a reasonably comprehensive explanation of how and why one suspension design is different from another, it's probably worth picking up a copy "How to make your muscle car handle" by Mark Savitske. I'd love to recommend one suspension or another but I'm still running a stock setup, so defer to the previous posters who all have great suggestions!

1967 RS driver with a 327/210... but now with an M20, HEI, AAW harness w/ halogens and relays, Dakota Digital, Moto-Lita, TMI interior, and a few other toys
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 15, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Kyle

Im mainly interested in making the car handle well in corners and no body roll without permanately altering the car itself. Bolt on type stuff. I think im going to start with sway bars and a different set of wheels and tires and go from there.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 15, 02:05 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Bigger swaybars, the G-mod, and maybe some 16" tires.
You can make these cars handle, but at what level is up to you. Sure lots of $$$$ can be thrown at it also, but at what costs in ride quality ?

I'm more into the straight line thing

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 15, 06:08 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Sway bars, good shocks, poly frame bushings, upper & lower bushings and 17" wheels. 16's are very limited in size. This works well and will not brake the bank. Had a friend drive mine and said it was as good as his high $$$ front suspension! And don't forget an IROC steering set up. Any front end weight reduction helps the ratio as well, which there is not too much talk about.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 15, 07:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Exclamation Re: 68 Pro Touring "Style" Build Questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worstenemy453 View Post
So i want to set my car up pro touring style, it most likely wont ever hit the road course on a serious level but i want it to handle damn good on the road.

I know i want to go tubular control arms and coil overs up front and a coil over set up out back.

My questions are

1) When is a front subframe needed ? I was looking at the Speed Tech front subframe kit and its a pretty penny. Since im not actually racing, my subframe isnt damaged as far as i know will i need to spend that kind of money or just get all new control arms and all for mine and brace it up decent ?

2) I was looking at a BMR rear torque arm set up, would this help on traction on street driving as far as turns or something or should i be looking else where for a different set up ? Id like to keep it bolt in as this car definitely wont be driven to the point of custom fabbed 4 links and what not. I want a rear end that will keep my 12 bolt.
I sometimes wonder if if people that reply really READ the questions that people are asking. The OP said that he "knows he wants to go tubular control arms and coil overs up front and a coil over set up out back." When he refers to spending money, he is asking whether spending the money on an aftermarket subframe not the costs of the control arms and such.

I do agree with the John (Vegas69) and make sure that the rest of the suspension parts are good beforehand. Sure adding 17 or 18 inch wheels with a larger sway might help but if his other components are old and worn, they won't do you a lot of good. Even then, I don't think you will see a big difference. A couple of you have answered about keeping stock style coil springs, where did he ask that? As for ride quality, I wonder if some of you have ever ridden in a car with a good aftermarket suspension. My Ridetech stuff rides phenomenal on the street and it can be adjusted to perform great on the track. I have also been a passenger in Detroit Speed suspension cars, same thing.

Kyle, if you decide to swap in aftermarket suspension pieces, I would recommend staying with components from the same company. I have "thrown" money at my car over the years between stock style to mixed aftermarket combination to now one manufacturer for everything. Nothing more aggravating than calling a particular suspension company about alignment specifications and when you tell them that you have another companies parts (besides theirs), you can't really get a good answer. My example was from having Global West arms, hotchkis springs and ATS spindles. I could never get good alignment numbers from anyone.

Chris
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 15, 08:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
I sometimes wonder if if people that reply really READ the questions that people are asking. The OP said that he "knows he wants to go tubular control arms and coil overs up front and a coil over set up out back." When he refers to spending money, he is asking whether spending the money on an aftermarket subframe not the costs of the control arms and such.

I do agree with the John (Vegas69) and make sure that the rest of the suspension parts are good beforehand. Sure adding 17 or 18 inch wheels with a larger sway might help but if his other components are old and worn, they won't do you a lot of good. Even then, I don't think you will see a big difference. A couple of you have answered about keeping stock style coil springs, where did he ask that? As for ride quality, I wonder if some of you have ever ridden in a car with a good aftermarket suspension. My Ridetech stuff rides phenomenal on the street and it can be adjusted to perform great on the track. I have also been a passenger in Detroit Speed suspension cars, same thing.

Kyle, if you decide to swap in aftermarket suspension pieces, I would recommend staying with components from the same company. I have "thrown" money at my car over the years between stock style to mixed aftermarket combination to now one manufacturer for everything. Nothing more aggravating than calling a particular suspension company about alignment specifications and when you tell them that you have another companies parts (besides theirs), you can't really get a good answer. My example was from having Global West arms, hotchkis springs and ATS spindles. I could never get good alignment numbers from anyone.
When a member with a join date of March 2015, with six posts who just got his car this year "knows" he wants tubular control arms and coilovers front and rear for a "Pro Touring Style" build, I don't think it's out of line to note that none of that is required to achieve his goal of handling "damn good on the road."

Given the hype surrounding the various after-market parts - for example, claims that tubular arms correct the camber curve on first generation Camaros - it seems fair to note that there are many paths to good street handling. He's free to ignore suggestions to the contrary, as are you.

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 15, 08:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

What does a new join date or having 6 posts have to do with anything? Do you know this guy? Presumption/Pre judging is not a good thing. I guess I would have expected more out of someone that has been on the boards for a long time (as I have been also). He asked a specific question, its not your money Mike or anyone elses to spend.

Sure there are many ways to do it. If the OP would have asked for options (like coil over VS stock coils) then I would understand your response. If you would read my responses, I said look at buying a complete proven setup. I guess the big question is if Kyle wants his car to drive similar to a modern car or when his car was new? Big difference.

Sorry Kyle, not trying to derail your thread, just giving you some info to think about.......

Chris
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 15, 09:08 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Lets keep this nice guys.
More than one way to get where you want to be and I know each of us have our way to get there by a lot of trial and error as $$$ allows.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 15, 09:13 AM
Senior Tech
mike

G-mod, larger wheels and good tires, good anti sway bar(s). If you are not happy with the way that handles then do the add ons, after all they are only (mostly) bolt on. You will be amazed how well these old cars handle. Being nose heavy will hurt no matter what mod. Oh yea one other thing is get seats that can hold you in place (lol).
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 15, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Kyle

I am not opposed to staying with a more stock oriented set up. I know this car won't handle like my BMWs but i don't want to be that old guy slowing down to 20 mph to take each turn. Ill start with my sub frame connectors, roll bars and some decent wheels and tires and see where i am from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode