9C1 brake upgrade, anybody know what's wrong with this deal? - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 15, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Tom

9C1 brake upgrade, anybody know what's wrong with this deal?

So upgrading Gen2 Camaro with the 12" brakes off a 9C1 Caprice police car. I acquired the spindles in a trade, not exactly sure what year they are.

Spindles have the expected larger outer wheel bearing, spindle is .840, OK. Every catalog I canb find calls out the SET 3 bearing for the spindle. Reading up, looks like the SET 3 is supposed to have an .843 ID, OK fine. When my Timken bearings showed up from Rock Auto I assumed they would be right. I mean, what could possible go wrong? Old tech, been around for decades. Trouble is the Timken SET 3 bearings has an ID of .835, not going to go on the spindle. The bearing in the Timken SET3 box is marked as M12649, seems to be correct. ID is still .835, not going to work. I checked some other SET 3's at auto parts stores, all were .835. One good parts guy was able to look up a numerical listing of wheel bearings, sorted by ID. No .843 on the list.

Anybody got any idea what's going on with this deal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 15, 08:00 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

Re: 9C1 brake upgrade, anybody know what's wrong with this deal?

I just grabbed a wheel bearing for a 89 caprice for my 1le spindle. Not sure what the inner dia. is.

68 Dana 302, 68 rs 327 daily driver/family car, 71 rs, track car/ driver, 68 firebird 400, 70 formula 400, 73 type LT, 98 TA, 2 goofy kids and an incredible wife.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 15, 07:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS
Re: 9C1 brake upgrade, anybody know what's wrong with this deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale68z View Post
I just grabbed a wheel bearing for a 89 caprice for my 1le spindle. Not sure what the inner dia. is.
That's a set 3 bearing like the OP referenced above. I figure a quick stroll thru the NAPA website would find him an answer yesterday. No such luck.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode