Should I restore or go the pro touring restomod route? - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 15, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
jeff

Should I restore or go the pro touring restomod route?

I'm almost getting around to doing, and getting some serious work done on my 67 convertible.

It will need a total restoration (it used to be my daily driver, but that was 15 years ago before wife and kids.

I'd like whoever to weigh in on whether it's better to restore my car to 67 specs as best I can, or go a more protouring restomod route?

What makes it difficult for me to decide is that the car is not just a 67 convertible, but also a real RS/SS, 4 speed, with original front disc brakes, and a rather rare color combo, Parchment interior and Black exterior.

Non original motor and trans, but as mentioned, the car needs restored, including floors and at least one rocker.

Interested in all opinions.

Thanks!

Jeff

67 RS/SS Conv, 4Sp, Tach and gauges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 15, 09:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rich

Re: Should I restore or go the pro touring restomod route?

Well it really depends on what you're going to do with it, keep it, sell it? If keeping and no intent on auctioning/selling it, make it what you want. If you intend to restore and sell you could get a fair price but never what you have in it. If you had original drive train well that's a whole other can of worms. Good luck

68, SS, BB, M20 4 speed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 15, 10:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

I agree, what are your plans for the car? How do you plan on using it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 15, 11:19 AM
John

Garage

I'm a full on Protour guy. If I was doing your car I would go back original with the following upgrades.

Aluminum heads and roller cam. Painted orange

5 speed tko600 OD tranny

Hotchkiss TVS suspension and 17" Ralley Wheels

Keep everything else stock

Btw. I'm taking delivery on the 67 RS/SS BBC convertible I bought this weekend. I will most likely follow the plan I outlined

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 15, 02:56 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

I was once the "all original guy". That is until I put a 500HP LS3 in my car. There is no way an original car can match the drivability, low maintenance, gas mileage, and bling that a new LS can manage. I can turn on the AC and shift into 6th at 120mph, while cruising worry free to California.

I would go with Hotchkis springs in the rear, coil overs in the front, disc brakes, LS3, 6 speed, 3.73 posi and smile every time you leave 2 LONG black marks.

68 Camaro, HOT LS3, tremec 6 speed, vintage air, 17 inch tourque thrust II, CPP discs, 3.73 posi, Autometer gauges, painless harness
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 15, 04:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

If all the numbers matched - I would go the original route if it was me BUT since they don't, I'd go restomod. Besides, it sounds like you had the car a long time - don't you want a little more juice under the hood and it to handle like a newer car???

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 15, 05:55 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

I am of the opinion that since they are not making any new cars (with numbers matching etc.) you could buy a complete turn key body in white from China and then convert that to a Pro Touring without upsetting the purist who I am sure would all fight to be the first in line to buy your car to put in their museum.

Personally if I were going to build another car, pro touring or just an awesome street car (since I really don't car if it is a pro touring or any other type of car since I build my cars only to please myself). I would start with an S&W full tube frame and front strut with a Dana 60 rear end suspended by a coil over four link. I would then push the motor amidship and mount a 14-71 blower out front using a Moon Equipment Potvin drive setup. Since the motor is pushed back I would place my T-56 trany between my knees and use a Funny car cage added to the fourteen point that is holding up a full fiberglass body with the appropriate ground effects and rear tire hump to mount huge by large tites out back.

http://swracecars.com/store/67-69-Ca...57=08-500.aspx

http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/679camaro.htm

Total cost is about the same as starting from an all steel Camaro project, but it would be fun to have to hide lead in the car for a change instead of having to worry about taking weight out.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 15, 06:10 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

All original cars are no fun, imo. They are great to look at and I love all classics but stock cars have no real personality.

I feel a need to make my car my own...no one should mistake my car for theirs.

68 Camaro: SBC 396 Stroker motor from BluePrint and an MSD EFI.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 15, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
jeff

Red face Re: Should I restore or go the pro touring restomod route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittpens24 View Post
If all the numbers matched - I would go the original route if it was me BUT since they don't, I'd go restomod. Besides, it sounds like you had the car a long time - don't you want a little more juice under the hood and it to handle like a newer car???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad74 View Post
I was once the "all original guy". That is until I put a 500HP LS3 in my car. There is no way an original car can match the drivability, low maintenance, gas mileage, and bling that a new LS can manage. I can turn on the AC and shift into 6th at 120mph, while cruising worry free to California.

I would go with Hotchkis springs in the rear, coil overs in the front, disc brakes, LS3, 6 speed, 3.73 posi and smile every time you leave 2 LONG black marks.
I'd quote more of you guys in my reply, but I'll start with these. I've never wanted a trailer queen car, I want to drive the damn thing! The only reservation that I have regarding not keeping it original is that it's a car that really has some great options. Having said that, I like a car that has the modern conveniences, drivability, etc. I really like the idea of a 6 speed and LS motor.

Time will tell, and of course what I can get done at the right price.

Keep the opinions coming, and parts sources, that sort of thing. Links to builds and projects too.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 15, 10:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage

I would keep it black with Parchment and then build it so it drives nice.

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 15, 02:52 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by clill View Post
I would keep it black with Parchment and then build it so it drives nice.
Same thoughts here, if you had the numbers matching motor then I would say restore. But a nice restomod is so much more enjoyable to drive and actually use.

62 Corvette (Stock Restoration)
68 RS/SS Camaro, LS7/T56
68 RS Convertible project LS3/480/4L70
2006 Corvette Z06
2011 Corvette GS Convertible
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 15, 04:54 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I like John's idea. It depends a lot on the budget as well. My last one was build back original with a 450 HP 468, poly bushings, Gabriel hd shocks IROC box, big sway bars, lowered slightly with original style springs, 60 series BFG 15's on Vette rallys. RSSS NOM black on white. Car drives and handles without all the pro street stuff my silver car has. Not a big difference in the 2 except $$$$$. Have my Vette for modern car!!!!Just and old guy talkin. Too often we compare a PS car to a worn out old car, don't we?!!
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 15, 05:14 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

I would keep the original look inside and out and do the LS with an overdrive trans. Upgrade the suspension also.

67 RS/SS 350 4sp.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 15, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As Mr. Lillard and the later posters suggests, make it comfortable.
Mine is the same, add late model drivetrain, keep outside & inside stock making it a 'sleeper.'
4th Gen seats are nice...

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 15, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvrmax04 View Post
I would keep the original look inside and out and do the LS with an overdrive trans. Upgrade the suspension also.
And that's the rub. I do want to upgrade suspension. The motor is a 350 .60 bored. I'd like to put in a 6 speed. Should I tub the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
As Mr. Lillard and the later posters suggests, make it comfortable.
Mine is the same, add late model drivetrain, keep outside & inside stock making it a 'sleeper.'
4th Gen seats are nice...
The color combo on the car is great, I'll absolutely keep it black. But on the inside, I love the idea of updated seating. I've heard that the Sebring convertible seats fit without too much work, and now you have a shoulder harness. But the original parchment is a great look.

Arg, too many choices. I appreciate all of the input, and at the least it's a suspension upgrade, and an updated trans.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode