Mini Tub without cutting frame - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 15, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Eric

Mini Tub without cutting frame

Does anyone make a kit?

Does anyone know anything about GLA tubs? I understand they do not require the cutting of the frame rails. I would love to know more, however the only info about them comes from other forums and no link to any site or anything. I'm running the Chassisworks G-link and I would love to mini tub my car, I just don't want to cut into the frame.

Any suggestions?

Eric.B
Denver, CO
1967 Camaro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 15, 01:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

Re: Mini Tub without cutting frame

What size rim is your goal? I can tell you first hand what I did and what not to do. What year car?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 15, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR67RS View Post
What size rim is your goal? I can tell you first hand what I did and what not to do. What year car?
I honestly don't want to go much larger than a 19x11. My car is a 67.

I would love to hear what you did, and not to do, lol

Eric.B
Denver, CO
1967 Camaro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 15, 04:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

You can easily fit a 10" rim by just moving the inner wheel wells in. It's much less costly and you wouldn't have to minitub the car or cut the frame rails. I did both. I originally moved them in and ran a 15x10 with a 5.0 backspace . After using the dse tubs it allowed me to go to a15x12 rim. I narrowed my rear enough to be able to play with the back spaces. I am currently running a 15x10 with a 4.50 back space. So what I'm trying to say is. If you can live with the 10 just move the inners in. It's much less expensive and not a hole lot of fab work. Originally when moved the inners in I just cleaned off the undercoat and drilled out the factory spot welds. After I moved them in I made a filler piece out of sheet metal. Seam sealed and under coated. I also had to remove the trunk lid supports on the wheel wells. No big deal. I just re welded after. The rear seat needed no alteration and fit right back in. My car was also a leaf spring car so I moved those in as well and put a narrowed fuel tank in.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 15, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Eric

Good call! That's most likely what I will do is just move them in to the frame rails.

Quote:
You can easily fit a 10" rim by just moving the inner wheel wells in. It's much less costly and you wouldn't have to minitub the car or cut the frame rails. I did both. I originally moved them in and ran a 15x10 with a 5.0 backspace . After using the dse tubs it allowed me to go to a15x12 rim. I narrowed my rear enough to be able to play with the back spaces. I am currently running a 15x10 with a 4.50 back space. So what I'm trying to say is. If you can live with the 10 just move the inners in. It's much less expensive and not a hole lot of fab work. Originally when moved the inners in I just cleaned off the undercoat and drilled out the factory spot welds. After I moved them in I made a filler piece out of sheet metal. Seam sealed and under coated. I also had to remove the trunk lid supports on the wheel wells. No big deal. I just re welded after. The rear seat needed no alteration and fit right back in. My car was also a leaf spring car so I moved those in as well and put a narrowed fuel tank in.

Eric.B
Denver, CO
1967 Camaro

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 15, 04:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Not for nothing but if you are going to do it yourself and have to cut your floor, trunk pan, deck lid hinge brackets and rear seat support brackets anyway - why not cut your frame rails and move them inboard? Not like it is really that much more work - just saying....

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 15, 06:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

Much more cutting and prep for the dse tub installation .
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 15, 02:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Quote:
Much more cutting and prep for the dse tub installation .
I misread your post. Didn't realize that you were relocating the stock inner wheel housing. I agree with that! I didn't use the dse kit on mine - my 4-link kit came with generic mini tubs that I had to trim to fit. Overall it was rather easy but very labor intensive to move everything inboard. I was also replacing my entire trunk pan when I sectioned in my frame rails so it was easy to get to. Since I went with 4-link, I didn't have to fuss with relocating the leaf springs

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 15, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Eric

Great info guys, Thanks! This should be somewhat easy, just time consuming. The snow just started coming down here, so that will give me the chance to get more work done in the garage.

Eric.B
Denver, CO
1967 Camaro

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 15, 07:03 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

I imagine you already know that you need to relocate your upper shock mounts to the inside of the frame rails even if you only mini tub up to the frame.

I too mini tubed just up to the frame rails. When I cut the old inners out I left 2 inches of them intact and bought new stock tubs and mig welded them in. Cut 1" out of the floor and bent a 1" flange to weld the new inners too.

I have also seen 2" mini tub inners sold but can't recall where.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 15, 07:36 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

A few pics.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 15, 03:55 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

A buddy of mine did this by like above, cut the inner well moved over 2" to the frame, and welded in a 2" strip to fill the gap. (this is the short version)

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 15, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Eric

@schnide thanks for the pictures! looks killer.

Eric.B
Denver, CO
1967 Camaro

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mini tub

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode