Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 16, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage
'67 HIDe away headhlights

Wasn't really sure if this should go in electrical or PT, but I figure I'll get bashed less here, so here goes...

This thread isn't about a hideaway headlight conversion, but rather the conversion to HID headlights in an RS Camaro. My headlight doors work great thanks to the Retro Elecro conversion I did several years ago, but the lights were a little underwhelming, even with the typical headlight relay upgrades. So I decided to do a true HID (projector) headlight conversion using a Bi-Xenon 42mm 35w 5000k kit from Dapper Lighting. This keeps the use of High/Low beam function. They make a 64mm projector, but I thought that was overkill. You can also upgrade to 55w kit, but more overkill. The kit comes with the headlight assemblies, ballasts, wiring harness and 5000k or 6000k bulbs. There's no way the 64mm kit would have fit in an RS car due to the oversized headlight housing.

Dapper 42mm projector 35w 5000k kit: https://www.dapperlighting.com/colle...ssic-projector

There were a few challenges along the way. Since I'm using the Retro Electro headlight motors, they occupy some of the same space that the new larger headlight body wanted to fill. And the headlight housing itself is larger, so a fair amount of trimming had to be done. If your car is all original, don't try this at home, but then again, you wouldn't be reading the Pro-Touring forum either...

Original, perfectly functional Halogens:

Here's one of the two HID ballasts. I mounted them in the space between the front fenders and the radiator support. My battery is in the trunk, so I had the room on both sides.

Passenger side headlight bucket. I had to cut a new opening for a auxilary light protrusion on the new headlight body, as well as widen up the 3 openings for the locator tabs.

You can see how much larger the opening in the door assembly had to be, as well as how the motor was in the way. I had to modify the back of the new headlights by trimming some of the housing away to fit. I also replaced the headlight aiming screws and the retaining spring after this photo was taken:

HID headlight attached to the door assembly:

Here's the new headlight installed and on low beam:

New headlights on:

The importance of proper aiming. I had to crouch way down to get this shot, but if the headlights are aimed too high, you can imagine blinding oncoming traffic!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 16, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage
Re: '67 HIDe away headhlights

You can see how yellow the parking lights look compared to the new headlights. I don't have pictures, but I have already converted these to some really cool LED's that are white when used as park lights, but turn to amber when used for turn signals. I'll post some night pics or a video in a couple of days, along with a shot of the headlight cutoff as well.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 16, 09:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Garage

Awesome, did this to my 67, not hid though. I upgraded the parking lights also they looked out of place with the new headlights. I was going to do the white and amber led bulbs too, but stuck with amber.

Jeff

- 400 Dart Little"M", SRP 10.2:1, 4340 Scat rotating Assy, Solid Roller, AFR 210 Eliminators, Jesel shaft rockers,Super vic, Prosystems 847CFM, Tko600, 12 bolt 4:10 Eaton posi W/ Strange Hy-Tuf race axles and eliminators.
Best E.T. (11.96 @ 118.06) N/A

Classic Copper 4 Spd

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 16, 09:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

LED's all the way around Orangasm too.
So this is the surprise... very nice. I was really hoping for the gullwing doors!

68 Camaro SS... getting there!!
"If happiness is in your destiny, you need not be in a hurry."
If I can only convince myself of this!

My slooow build thread
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 16, 04:38 AM
Team Member
Jake

Nice install. I'm anxious to see how the parking lamps turned out too!! Good job.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 16, 06:36 AM
Tech Team
Matt

Well done sir, looks great.

Currenty dreaming....currently busting butt getting ready to fulfill that dream.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 16, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBS6T8 View Post
LED's all the way around Orangasm too.
So this is the surprise... very nice. I was really hoping for the gullwing doors!
Thanks. This wasn't exactly what I was eluding to in my build thread. This was only part of the surprise, but I don't think that plan is going to happen anytime soon. I'll update my build thread with that piece.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 16, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 697ibew View Post
Nice install. I'm anxious to see how the parking lamps turned out too!! Good job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01m6ta View Post
Well done sir, looks great.
Thanks guys. I took a video last night, but because it was so dark out and with the camera angle, the lights look blindingly bright. If I post it, some [email protected]$$ is going to make some donkey comment on how it's too bright.

So, yeah, I guess I'll post it later today.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 16, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Here are a couple of photos at dusk:

Headlights and parking lights both on:

Here's the lowbeam cutoff. I forgot to photo/video the high beams:

Quick video as promised showing parking lights, turn signals, 4 way flasher and HID headlights:
697ibew likes this.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 16, 05:50 PM
Team Member
Jake

Bad a$$! Who is the manufacturer of the running/turn signal lights? Looks great!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 16, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 697ibew View Post
Bad a$$! Who is the manufacturer of the running/turn signal lights? Looks great!
Thanks!

JDM Astar makes the parking light bulbs. They are called 1157 switchbacks, and they make a few different levels of brightness. Mine are the 3030's which are the brightest. They also make a bulb that alternates from white to Amber when you use the turn signals rather than off to Amber. I think the off to Amber (like mine) make the turn signals much more visable.

http://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Extr.../dp/B017C6B5H6

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 16, 06:31 AM
Tech Team
Ryan

Very nice look. Love when people upgrade the lighting on the classics
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 16, 06:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Looks great, Brent!

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 16, 04:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brad

So what's next!??
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 16, 07:42 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

LED lighting a much better solution, light output is as good as HID but is instant on, they draw less power and needs no special wiring.

Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you! Jeremy Clarkson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode