Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

1Likes
  • 1 Post By tracetrimble

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 17, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Trace

4th Gen Seats --> 1st Gen, Clean Install

I just finished putting 4th gen seats and Morris 3-point seatbelts in my 67, and I'm stoked on how they came out so figured I'd share...

I bought a pair of manual seats from a 97 Camaro, and another driver side seat track from a similar year Firebird. The driver side track is easier to modify to make it work. It would be difficult to get the level and angle of the passenger seat to match with the passenger track, plus you get manual tilt on both sides. I also found this awesome tool, which I've needed for years for various projects, but didn't know existed.

With the tracks off the seats, I cleaned them up, and ground off the rivets holding the rear mount brackets to the tracks to completely remove them. I then reinstalled the tracks on the seats, put them back in the car, and bolted the front mounts down (they line up perfectly). I used some small pieces of cardboard to determine roughly what the new brackets would look like, and found that 1 1/4" wide flat stock would do the trick. I bought a stick of 1/8" thick x 1 1/4" carbon steel from Home Depot.

The brackets I made provide about 7/8" rise in the Z bends, mainly because that was the minimum I could do with the vise brake. The other dimensions are up to you, but the throat of the vise brake limits the bend on the floor to about 3/4" in order to have clearance to make the second bend. I have a drawing of the bracket blanks, but I can't pull it up right now. Will post later if someone needs them.

I cut and bent blank brackets with only the hole for the floor bolts at first. I have a drawing, but can't pull it up right now. I can post it later if needed, but it's pretty straightforward. I then installed the new brackets under the tracks in the car, squared up the tracks (they will move a bit, and you need to make sure the slide lock works without binding). I marked where to drill the holes to bolt them to the tracks. Took the brackets back out, drilled the match holes, and installed them on the tracks with 1/4"-20 x 5/8" machine screws with locknuts.

I also installed Morris 3-point belts, and the new seats just clear the recoil mechanisms by the rocker panels. No trimming needed anywhere!

Here are some pics. Hope this helps someone out!

'67 LS1 resto-mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 17, 01:01 PM
Senior Tech
Billy Morris

Re: 4th Gen Seats --> 1st Gen, Clean Install

Trace,
Great write up.
Thank You for Purchasing our seat belts and
the mentioning our company name.
Thx, Billy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 17, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Trace

No problem. You make a very nice product. I'm glad I coughed up a little more dough for the high quality and seamless fit.

'67 LS1 resto-mod

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 17, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Trace

130fe likes this.

'67 LS1 resto-mod
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 17, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Trace

Total cost around $200, including tool purchase.

'67 LS1 resto-mod
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 01:36 PM
Senior Tech
Shad

I have the same seats, good to know there's a seat belt that'll work with them... I'll have to get me a brake like that for my vise also, very handy.

My Mistress rebuild...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 05:55 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage

Nice write up. Nice pics.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 17, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Trace

Thanks. These seats are SO much more comfortable and adjustable than the factory seats. Plus, I can sell my OEM seats for about 3x what this mod cost me. They do sit a tad higher than the original seats, but I'm 6'-3" and still have reasonable headroom. The side bolsters, headrests, and tilt and recline adjustments take it to a whole new level.

'67 LS1 resto-mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode