4Likes
  • 1 Post By Vega
  • 3 Post By Vega

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 18, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Brian

'69 Camaro project

So I was planning a Camaro project and it's starting to seem more and more unlikely. Just got done redoing my plans for just the rolling chassis and it's just over $97k... Seems like that's alot more than it should be but I'll be using a reproduction body, carbon fiber front clip parts, Art Morrison front subframe with C6 corvette suspension, a manual rack & pinion since I'll be using electric power steering and electrically boosted master cylinder, an Art Morrison rear subframe with independent suspension, a Strange Engineering Dana 60 diff, high horsepower axles, etc. along with carbon ceramic Wilwood brakes with six piston nickel plated calipers front and four piston nickel plated calipers w/ parking brake provisions rear, and CF201 Forgelines, along with an aftermarket copy of the ZL1 1LE wing, flush mount glass, and electrically variable tint.

After posting all this stuff, it doesn't seem that outrageous but what do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 18, 02:33 PM
Apprentice
Tim

Re: '69 Camaro project

Find one done and let the builder/original owner take the hit.

GONE
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 18, 04:17 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Sorry Brian, but take that estimate and double it to complete the car at the level you are talking about
Like Tim said, fid a NICE one like this and just buy it complete unless you have LOTS of money to spare

Get these guys to finish the car and your set

1969 Camaro R/S DSE hydroformed sub frame, LS3, T56, Ridetech,, A/C small project

Or watch here ...

Classifieds Pro Touring Garage

Cheers
Steve

Steve
69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-FORCE LS7, DSE Sub, T56 MAG, Recaro, Wilwood disc, Racepak IQ3S, SpeedTech TA/JRI CO's, Pro-Venom 250s, Forgeline CV3C 20/19 - SOLD

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 18, 05:19 AM
John

Garage

I would reconsider several details of your project and evaluate the cost/benefit.

#1 the reproduction body will mean no Camaro Vin # and no title.

#2 look at a full chassis build like a frame from the Roadster Shop

#3 reason for carbon fiber body parts.

Evaluate other components like why carbon ceramic brakes? Nickel plate when powder coating is a lot less? Electric booster and steering? Variable tint?

The logical projected cost of an extreme build as described is $400k-$500k like the Miranda 69 at SEMA. The interior alone was over $100k.
130fe likes this.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 18, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Probationer
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
I would reconsider several details of your project and evaluate the cost/benefit.

#1 the reproduction body will mean no Camaro Vin # and no title.

#2 look at a full chassis build like a frame from the Roadster Shop

#3 reason for carbon fiber body parts.

Evaluate other components like why carbon ceramic brakes? Nickel plate when powder coating is a lot less? Electric booster and steering? Variable tint?

The logical projected cost of an extreme build as described is $400k-$500k like the Miranda 69 at SEMA. The interior alone was over $100k.
The carbon fiber body parts would be for weight savings since I'm going to be going with an all aluminum big block and while it is aluminum its still gonna be rather heavy, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a couple hundred pounds more than an LT4. The reason for nickel plated calipers is because they're what I can find off the shelf for Wilwood parts and I personally like the contrast with the carbon rotors and black wheels

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 18, 09:08 AM
John

Garage

Going Protour over the top and using a BBC imho is a step backwards that will severely affect value of the build.

Built LS3, LS7 or better yet would be an LT4 which all would be lighter, perform better and be less expensive then an all aluminum BBC.
3d cad, ragtook riches and DT like this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 18, 06:01 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage

For additional input, you might go over to the protouring website and see what they think.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 18, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Brian

[QUOTE=Vega$69;1782958954]Going Protour over the top and using a BBC imho is a step backwards that will severely affect value of the build.
/QUOTE]

That's assuming I'd be interested in selling it and I don't see that happening

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 18, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Brian

So I spent some time today working away at the cost of the rolling chassis and by eliminating the variable tint, the carbon fiber trunk lid and hood hinges I'd be using of I did put a carbon fiber trunk lid on it, the carbon fiber quarter panel scoops, and looking for a less expensive outlet for the tires I'd be running I ended up getting the cost down to just over $93,000.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 18, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin View Post
Find one done and let the builder/original owner take the hit.
Now with the new job I have it doesn't seem so much out of reach as before, I'm now working as a door to door appointment setter for a solar panel company and part of the pay comes with bonuses based on how many people you get to sit with a closer, IIRC if you get 50 sits in a month the bonus ends up being ~$4,000 or something of equivalent price. Don't know how hard that's gonna be, I don't expect to get that many sits this month, but the most interesting thing will be if they stack, so say you get 60 sits in a month you get the 10 sit and the 50 sit bonus... I doubt that it'd work like that though

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 18, 04:21 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Wink Re: '69 Camaro project

Best of luck on your ventures...

Mostly Camaros and FINALLY a Double Nickel
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 18, 04:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

An old wise man once said; "If your going to put $94,000 into building a Camaro, and your younger than 25 years old, be prepared to live in the Camaro".

Brett......

Rockets Up In 2020!

1969 Code X-66 SS 396 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 18, 04:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charlie

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettallen59 View Post
An old wise man once said; "If your going to put $94,000 into building a Camaro, and your younger than 25 years old, be prepared to live in the Camaro".

Brett......
I kinda like that old wise man! Good thing it will have heat and a/c!

Charlie
Edmonds, WA
1969 Camaro SS Vert LS1 T56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode