Electric radiator fan? - Page 2 - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 18, 02:00 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Re: Electric radiator fan?

I have a pair of 12" Spal's and a Meziere wp that have no problem cooling my 800hp 425ci BBC, I am also running E85 which helps. I don't have an option to run a factory fan.

If you can run what your car came with from the factory and it cools it, keep it. Too often folks succumb to the "wank factor" and they end up worse off and poorer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 18, 08:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

I have a 602 hp 383 small block and use a GM 6 blade steel fan, which keeps it cool with no problem, even if stuck idling in 85 degree weather for 20 minutes or more. It will creep up to 210 or so under those conditions, otherwise it runs 185 all the time and I'm hard on it.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 18, 05:22 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat tire View Post
I am not going to try to persuade you in any direction, but I tried 2 10" fans with the shroud designed for the radiator and it would not cool my 540 horse 383. with new 3 core radiator and water pump> just saying!
some do not consider hot until the engine reaches 295-300*.
I am not o ne of them.
I have never seen a head gasket blow because the engine was to cold
as far as the oil I put less than 1800 miles per year and then change oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G View Post
My twins are 12" I think ? and cooling is not an issue.....I ended up with a Meziere electric pump since I kept throwing belt at 7500+...with the fan controller (Davies Craig) cycling the fans on/off....it's great.

My fans look like....(forget the brand)

This is just my opinion but look at those 2 fan/shroud set ups and tell me what you see. On Flat tires setup you are directing all air through two small holes where the fans are, effectively making your radiator smaller.

On Doug's setup, those Spal fans are a. larger and b. the shroud has those rubber flaps that open when you drive giving you full use of your entire radiator surface area.

I have the same fans Doug has and those things move so much air on high speed that you can hold your hand a foot or so in front of the grill and feel the massive amounts of air pulling in. CFM makes a huge difference.
68rs406 likes this.

My 69 Build thread :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Z28 (sold)
1987 Iroc-Z (sold)
2005 350Z (sold)

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 18, 05:59 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

I stay with the engine driven fan and a 160 thermostat.
flat tire and rp930 like this.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 18, 07:21 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphusker View Post
This is just my opinion but look at those 2 fan/shroud set ups and tell me what you see. On Flat tires setup you are directing all air through two small holes where the fans are, effectively making your radiator smaller.

On Doug's setup, those Spal fans are a. larger and b. the shroud has those rubber flaps that open when you drive giving you full use of your entire radiator surface area.

I have the same fans Doug has and those things move so much air on high speed that you can hold your hand a foot or so in front of the grill and feel the massive amounts of air pulling in. CFM makes a huge difference.
that was the set up that came with the radiator and I was told it would work
I added the orange flaps to let more air in as I was driving . no help
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 02:38 PM
69r
Probationer
Matt

Garage

I have a 383 stroker and was blowing belts off at the track. After a serpentine belt system, went with a single puller fan with the sensor jammed through the aluminum radiator. I have it wired hot so it continues to cycle after shut-down. A little odd sometimes at cruise nights, but less embarrassing than pissing coolant on the ground.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 20, 02:52 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69r View Post
I have a 383 stroker and was blowing belts off at the track. After a serpentine belt system, went with a single puller fan with the sensor jammed through the aluminum radiator. I have it wired hot so it continues to cycle after shut-down. A little odd sometimes at cruise nights, but less embarrassing than pissing coolant on the ground.
You can use a fan controller that enables you to program run on among other features.

I like the Dakota Digital Dual Fan Control.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode