• 1 Post By dhutton
  • 1 Post By Vega
  • 1 Post By dhutton
  • 1 Post By Vega

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 19, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Craig

Send a message via AIM to Craig1969 Send a message via MSN to Craig1969 Send a message via Yahoo to Craig1969
70 Restomod Coil Over Question

On my 70 Z28...(with a 427 in place of the LT1) I have the rear ride height just like I want. Running 18x8 wheels, 265-45-18 tires. On the front, 17x7 with 244-55-17 tires. I have Hotchkis 2" drop springs but actually, the front end drop was more like 1". There is to much wheel well room for my liking plus it is sitting a little nose high. I want to go with coil overs.

My question is, when the coil overs are in place, say the setting is half thread...meaning in the middle of the adjustment range, where does the car sit? Would this be the stock height? Would the full up adjustment be stock ride height? I want to lower the car at a minimum of 2-3" in the front. My headers are tucked up so I really don't have to worry about scraping (much) and the oil pan is a 7 quart flat bottom moroso that is well protected.

Are coil overs the fix I'm looking for to lower the front end?

Thx

(in the pictures, that is water on the drive after washing and moving the car. NO OIL LEAKS)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190125_180601.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	224507   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190125_180148.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	467.9 KB
ID:	224509  

Prepare to be the center of attention when you drive a first generation Camaro. You will be gawked at. Grown men & women will coo like children when you drive past. Children will scream like babies. Dogs & cats will get along. Does it get any better?

Last edited by Craig1969; Feb 2nd, 19 at 08:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 19, 04:25 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Re: 70 Restomod Coil Over Question

Where the adjuster nut sits for a given ride height depends on the spring rate. Regardless of where the nut sits the coilover shock needs to be roughly centered in its travel at ride height. It is a common misconception that coilovers deliver huge amounts of ride height adjustment. They do not. The coilover shock length needs to be selected to deliver the desired ride height.

Before you resort to coilovers I would suggest trimming the coil length.

Don
Vega$69 likes this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 19, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Craig

Send a message via AIM to Craig1969 Send a message via MSN to Craig1969 Send a message via Yahoo to Craig1969

Thanks Don. Whats my chances of getting the same spring height by cutting? From a little google searching, a 2nd gen Camaro with a big block needs the 550lb springs to retain stock height. I wish I had kept my SB springs installed to see where it sat. Hotchkis didn't recommend tha, said it would be way to low. EVery car is different I guess... with many anum engine parts..heads/intake, etc.

I would like the luxury of adjusting them back up some if needed without swapping springs.

Prepare to be the center of attention when you drive a first generation Camaro. You will be gawked at. Grown men & women will coo like children when you drive past. Children will scream like babies. Dogs & cats will get along. Does it get any better?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 04:18 AM
Senior Tech
Don

When you cut a spring you lower the ride height and also increase the spring rate.

Don

1959 El Camino project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 04:44 AM
John

Garage

I would start by cutting 1 full coil. Then 1/2 coil at a time the achieve ride height. Would not cut any more than 2 coils.

As Don stated the adjustability of coilovers is limited. Many think you can just easily raise and lower the car 3 or 4 inches. Not so. If lowered too far the shock will bottom out when you hit bumps resulting in a terrible ride. Raise too high and it tops out the shock travel.

Iíve seen too soft of springs raised the the point where the shock travel is reached and the springs are compressed so little or no travel is left.

If you do go coil over itís very important the use the correct length shocks and the correct spring rating for your application. Also the quality of the shocks vary significantly.
130fe likes this.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Craig

I'm going to try cutting the springs this week and see what happens. I tried this a couple years ago on a 68 and while they were cut the same, one side ended up 3/4 lower and I made certain they were in the pockets correctly. Ended up cutting two more sections, 1/2" at a time to get it right. Major PITA but it worked.

This is an article I found while searching for coil overs.

1973 Chevrolet Camaro: Better looks and handling with a bolt-in coilover kit

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 08:14 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig1969 View Post
I'm going to try cutting the springs this week and see what happens. I tried this a couple years ago on a 68 and while they were cut the same, one side ended up 3/4 lower and I made certain they were in the pockets correctly. Ended up cutting two more sections, 1/2" at a time to get it right. Major PITA but it worked.

Look nice and cost about $500 a pair.

Take a close look at the installed coil over and imagine how hard it is to get the adjustment wrench in position to move the lock nuts.

Can be done but not as easy as it's made out to be.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 09:29 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig1969 View Post

What is the useable stroke of that shock? 3 inches? Compare that to a stock shock. No fun bottoming out on the shock....

That style of coilover is subject to side loading of the shocks which can lead to seal failure.

Don
partsguy57 likes this.

1959 El Camino project

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 10:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Send a message via Skype™ to hueycamaro

Have you considered putting a set of drop spindles on it? Might be much easier and safer way to go than cutting the springs.

1968 Camaro
1968 Chevelle Convertible
1973 Camaro
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 12:32 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueycamaro View Post
Have you considered putting a set of drop spindles on it? Might be much easier and safer way to go than cutting the springs.
Drop spindle are about the worst thing you could do.
130fe likes this.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 19, 08:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

I'm an amateur. Can you educate me on drop spindles and why they are a bad idea? Ive been considering them for my 73. I have the Hotchkis TVS SB suspension with ~2 inch drop in front and ~1.5 in back. The rear looks good, but the front end is a little higher than I like. I have hotchkis SPS 1.5 shocks. Ive been considering a drop spindle as a way to get the front down a little more. Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Sorry for hijacking the thread Craig 1969.

1968 Camaro
1973 Camaro
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 19, 10:49 AM
John

Garage

Reduced turning radius because of A Arm clearance

Tie rod can hit wheels depending on backspace

Bumpsteer

To name a few issues.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 19, 11:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Vega$69- thank you.

1968 Camaro
1973 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode