Help with McLeod Clutch Kit - Team Camaro Tech
Pro Touring Todays performance with classic style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 20, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Michael Lockwoo

Help with McLeod Clutch Kit

Hi all,

I've put an LS3 mated to the Tremec T56 magnum (6 speed) into a 69 Camaro that I'm building up. I bought and installed the McLeod Hydraulic Clutch conversion kit (1434002) and I have noticed that there is no hole in the clutch pedal to accomodade the clutch safety switch which is located under the dash. I called McLeod to ask about this and they said they had never been contacted regarding this problem before.

What are people doing to work around this problem????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 20, 12:14 PM
Senior Tech
Simon

Garage
Re: Help with McLeod Clutch Kit

Michael, I have the same Mcleod kit though I haven't installed it yet but will probably have the same dilemma.
A few possible options are to re-drill the supplied clutch pedal.
If the slave cylinder rod is in the way, how about flipping the neutral switch rod on the other side of the pedal? Or making another rod from a coat hanger or similar material to activate from other side.
Still no good, moving the neutral switch forward more then re-drilling pedal but making sure you get enough arc from depressing the pedal to activate the neutral switch.
I don't know if this will help but keep us posted if you come up with another option to remedy this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 20, 02:11 PM
John

Garage

The pedal rod does go to the slave cylinder. The slave cylinder is inside the bell housing around the input shaft. The slave is connected to the clutch master cylinder located on the firewall. The pedal rod goes into the CMC.

To use a clutch switch you will need to fab and locate the switch to be depressed when the clutch pedal is pushed. May need to attach a tab to the pedal that will work to depress the switch.

Most I assume go without a clutch switch.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 20, 05:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

I just went through this on mine. I took the McLeod pedal and drilled a hole in the same location as the original pedal. I used the centerline of the pedal pin for reference. Works great.

My Build Thread

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 20, 06:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

I don't know if modern BMW's have a clutch switch. My 1983 does not. German engineers just figured if you were smart enough and adept enough to drive a stick shift you would be smart enough to put it in nuetral or depress the clutch before starting the car. My 69 Z/28 came with a clutch switch, and I think it is still under there, but it is bypassed. I have driven sticks long enough to know not to start it in gear with the clutch engaged. Your results may vary.

Lynn
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 20, 06:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Just looked at my post. Man, I sound like a grouchy old man. The older I get the more I feel like Statler and Waldorf.

Lynn
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 20, 06:39 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilodeaulynn View Post
Just looked at my post. Man, I sound like a grouchy old man. The older I get the more I feel like Statler and Waldorf.

Milton Berle Vs. Statler & Waldorf - YouTube
Haha. I never put clutch or NSS on T56. Habit ingrained since I first started driving a stick shift at like 14 years old 55 years ago. 1st step on clutch when starting.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 20, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Michael Lockwoo

Thanks for the replies. All are helpful ideas. Right now I'm leaning towards taking the easy route and removing and bypassing the switch all together. Like others, I've been driving stick long enough that it's habit to start with the clutch depressed. But, I also like the idea of doing some minor fabricating to get the switch to work. I'll repost when I get something done.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 20, 08:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Quote:
Just looked at my post. Man, I sound like a grouchy old man. The older I get the more I feel like Statler and Waldorf
Those were the days

68 302 M20 3:73 - 85 IROC Z - 82 Honda CB900C
The older I get the faster I was.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 20, 09:02 PM
John

Garage

We donít need no stinking switches. Lol
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 20, 09:16 AM
Senior Tech

Likely take some form of fabrication to mount a NSS. I did a A4 to T56 swap in a car that never came as a stick (not a camaro) and have a fabricated clutch pedal assembly using the McLeod MC. Just welded on a flat plate drilled & slotted to receive a BDW S9170 switch and a threaded rod with a rubber foot on clutch pedal arm, so it could be adjusted for depth to contact switch, and wired it into starter wires at base of column.

I have driven stick cars all my life but prefer to have a NSS. Even though by habit I always push in clutch pedal to start the car, I like having the NSS. More as a theft deterrent also. I always smile when I have to get some form of work done (tires or smog) where the guy says "your car won't start"..that same guy likely also does not know if car is in or out of gear.

I also wired the reverse lockout to brake pedal switch so you don't "accidently" buzz reverse when shifting into 5th aggressively

NSS
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...MK3A&gclsrc=ds

Pedal assembly (not for Camaro)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 17th, 20, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Michael Lockwoo

Here is what I ended up doing.

1) Ground down the tab on the NSS switch that accepts the small rod. This was do the tab would not hit the pushrod on the new clutch pedal.
2) Measured from center of pedal pin to hole on original clutch pedal.
3) Measured the same distance on new clutch pedal and drilled a hole to accept the white plastic bushing.
4) Fashioned a new NSS switch rod out of coat hanger. On the pedal, i was able to use the clip that held the old rod in place. On the NSS switch, I did not use the clip. I just bent that end of the rod into a "Z" (not shown in pic) and fit it into the switch tab.
5) The geometry of the new switch rod is much different than the original but it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Finish.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	234881  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode