What did I do wrong? - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 Ground Up Restorations

Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Second Generation 1970-1981

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Sep 20th, 13, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Tech

What did I do wrong?

Here's a picture showing what I did. This is a rear-end out of a 70'. I know I have a u-bolt where there should be T-bolts on the inside. I had to use the longer U-bolts to fit in the urethane spring pads. Now, when I torqued the u-bolts to 40 ft/lbs, this is what I got. It looks awful, I can't leave it like this. The spring pads are all squished out, the shock plate is actually bending, and so are the u-bolts. I know my torque wrench is accuarate and I didn't accidentally torque them to 140 ft/lbs. Where did I go wrong?

Last edited by Z28BUILD; Apr 10th, 14 at 07:36 AM.
Z28BUILD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 20th, 13, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Re: What did I do wrong?

Take out the pads.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Everett#2390 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 20th, 13, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Did you torque them while the wheels were on the ground; if not try that. The wheels should not be hanging. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me.
Old Sep 21st, 13, 03:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Tech

I would guess that since the only options in 1970 were 4 and 5 leaf spring packs, the issue is that 6 spring pack is too big for the perch.
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 21st, 13, 03:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
I would guess that since the only options in 1970 were 4 and 5 leaf spring packs, the issue is that 6 spring pack is too big for the perch.
Good catch. I agree. Spacers between the bottom plate & the spring perch will correct that. At least the thickness of 1 leaf if not slightly thicker.
NHBandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 21st, 13, 05:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Tech

In my opinion that shock plate should not be bent the way it now is, the metal looks rather thin/light for that piece. If it were me, in addition to whichever of the other suggestions you choose to employ, I'd remove the shock plates, press them flat and then fabricate a thicker plate and weld it on the underside of those thin shock plates so the plate will remain rigid under the torque and loads it will encounter. Just my two cents on what I see from your photos.

Scott
Old Sep 21st, 13, 05:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

My first thought was how thin that plate looks. 40ft\lbs shouldn't be enough to bend it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HwyStarJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 21st, 13, 05:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Those are the original shock plates. I also know that there is an extra spring in there, probably put there to stiffen up weak springs before I got the car. This is the exact set-up that was on the car when I got it, except it had the original rubber spring pads. I've looked at pictures of other cars and they all have a gap between the shock plate and the spring perch. I didn't really want to have to order a new set of 4-5 leaf springs, I'd like to get this to work somehow. Thanks for all the suggestions so far, keep 'em coming.

Old Sep 21st, 13, 05:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Though they are the original spring plates, they are now working in a modified situation (the extra leaf, the urethane spring pads). So with that in mind, if it were me and I was gonna keep the extra leaf, I'd flatten them out and beef them up which would give you perhaps the best compromise solution given the parts you have to work with.

Scott
Old Sep 21st, 13, 09:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

You where trying to compress the pad/spring combo with too much gap between the perch and plate....somethings got to give....the plate.
You could loose the pad or a spring to get it closer...or..make a plate to close the gap some.
I think it was DSE ??? that made spacers for same problem using mulit-springs in mono perches ??? Can't recall
Old Sep 24th, 13, 06:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Tech

What would happen if I remove one or both of the urethane spring pads? The diff would be mounted solid to the springs then.
Old Sep 25th, 13, 05:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

Could it be that you need to remove a layer of the springs so that the perch and seat are mated?

Here's a picture of the spring and perch from my 71RS when I owned it.

Kunihiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 26th, 13, 02:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

You need some compression to hold everything. Even the pic above shows a little bow.
Old Sep 26th, 13, 08:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28BUILD View Post
Those are the original shock plates. I also know that there is an extra spring in there, probably put there to stiffen up weak springs before I got the car. This is the exact set-up that was on the car when I got it, except it had the original rubber spring pads. I've looked at pictures of other cars and they all have a gap between the shock plate and the spring perch. I didn't really want to have to order a new set of 4-5 leaf springs, I'd like to get this to work somehow. Thanks for all the suggestions so far, keep 'em coming.

Original shock plates for what? They look like first generation mono leaf plates. What year is your car?

Springs are thicker than original and urethane pads do not compress as much as original pads, so this is a custom set up. You need a custom spacer if you want to run this setup, and a thicker base plate for multileaf springs.

I don't know where your looking where every car has a gap, but you must not be looking at original or correct cars because there should be no gap.
68 Ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 26th, 13, 04:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Tech

REALLY, there shouldn't be a gap?! It makes sense to me but the car I'm using as a reference and pictures I've seen have a gap. The car is a 69, but the diff came out of a 70. I removed the original 70 spring perches which had been butchered, and welded on a new set of 69 perches. I'm thinking that to fix it properly, I should order a new set of 4-leaf springs, and some original 69 shock plate mounts.
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in