rear caliper P-brake issue - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 Ground Up Restorations

Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Second Generation 1970-1981

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Sep 22nd, 14, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

rear caliper P-brake issue

I'm a gen2 Trans Am guy looking for help from fellow F car guys. I tried the Firebird forums but no luck. I know a lot of you have done the Camaro gen2 WS6 disc brake conversion so maybe you can help.

I have a '79 Trans Am 10th anniversary with the WS6 performance option which includes 4 wheel disc brakes.

The P-brake cable pulls forward on both sides. The passenger side pull rotates the adjuster in a clockwise direction which pushes the piston out against the pads.

The driver's side pulls the lever forward but rotates the adjuster counter clockwise which retracts the piston away from the pads.

From the factory the castings are the same are both marked "R". It seems to me that the adjuster should push the piston against the pads on the drivers in a counter clockwise direction.

The calipers I got from my local auto store (Advance) are exactly the same so I am getting force on the passenger side but no braking on the driver's side because "brake apply" is in the clockwise direction on both sides.

Any help or pics is appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert
gottaSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 22nd, 14, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Re: rear caliper P-brake issue

When I look on Rock Auto, there is a specific part number for the left and a specific part number for the right. Do you have pictures you can post?

The calipers I see online look similar to the Caddy styles some of us use on first gens to add disc brakes. With a staggered shock '68 or '69, we do use two of the exact same caliper. Both of our parking brakes pull the same rotation though because one goes straight to the caliper, the other wraps around the axle to loop back and attach so both are being pulled clockwise as viewed at the caliper.

If yours are like this it may just be an issue of the brake lever and spring assembly mounted wrong so that the brake cable can be attached wrong to pull the wrong way. Sorry, but personally I don't know enough about the second gen to be very helpful.
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 23rd, 14, 06:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply Steiner. I understand what you are saying about looping the cable around to the back so both pull clockwise. I don't have enough cable to do that and that's not how the original T/A was set up. The brackets won't accommodate that set up either. I suspect that the calipers are two different part numbers only for the fact that the clutching mechanism internally acts counter clockwise on one and clockwise on the other. Other than that they are the same and the same casting.

The auto store keeps selling me calipers that both pull clockwise but are different part numbers. Very confusing.

So I will continue to search for a caliper that pulls counter clockwise. I also ordered the illustrated parts catalog. It might show a clue or two. No one makes an AIM for this car.

Thanks,
Robert
Old Sep 23rd, 14, 06:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Tech

I just found a post elsewhere to for sure check the calipers before you leave the parts store. It said the casting number was the same and both had an R on them but for a left side caliper check the end of the bolt the parking brake lever attaches to and it should have an L stamped on the end of it. I would assume for left hand thread. So, even if it doesn't have a stamping you can easily see if the threads are left or right hand thread as there should be a thread or two sticking out past the nut. Might have to go through all their stock to get one that was boxed right....
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

Last edited by Steiner; Sep 23rd, 14 at 06:43 AM.
Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 23rd, 14, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

When I read this, it reminded me of the calipers I got for my rear disc brake conversion from RightStuff.
In deed they are the same caliper , right and left. Actually 2 right calipers. The Ebrake cable routing was mentioned to route the left cable to pull from the rear of the axle. The right caliper pulls from the front of the axle.
Once installed, it looks like a factory set up, rotor splash shields and all. The kit came with new cables to hook up to the main equalizer loop. Sorry you can't see the cable routing but only part of the mount brackets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5428.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	88121   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5429.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	88129  
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

zdld17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 24th, 14, 06:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks again for the replies. I looked for an "L" on the end of the stud but there is no marking. I looked at the brackets also for an "L" or "R" but there is none. I brought a wrench and the lever to the auto store to check the calipers before I bought one (again) and sure enough they both were brake "apply" in the clockwise direction with no markings on the caliper.

The WS6 Trans Am in '79 is set up to pull (forward) on both sides from the bottom so there must be a difference in the clutching. I'll keep searching for a counter clockwise caliper and if I can't find one I'll look into a longer cable that might help me pull backwards. The brackets can't be orientated and way but the way they are.

With no AIM available for this car I'm counting on the illustrated parts manual and the 1980 AIM that I ordered yesterday to give me a clue. However, the 1980 calipers are a different p/n than the 1979.
Old Sep 24th, 14, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaSS View Post
Thanks again for the replies. I looked for an "L" on the end of the stud but there is no marking. I looked at the brackets also for an "L" or "R" but there is none. I brought a wrench and the lever to the auto store to check the calipers before I bought one (again) and sure enough they both were brake "apply" in the clockwise direction with no markings on the caliper.

The WS6 Trans Am in '79 is set up to pull (forward) on both sides from the bottom so there must be a difference in the clutching. I'll keep searching for a counter clockwise caliper and if I can't find one I'll look into a longer cable that might help me pull backwards. The brackets can't be orientated and way but the way they are.

With no AIM available for this car I'm counting on the illustrated parts manual and the 1980 AIM that I ordered yesterday to give me a clue. However, the 1980 calipers are a different p/n than the 1979.
Call RightStuff or Matts Bowtie . They included both cables in their kit...
http://rightstuffdetailing.carshopin...138241/RSBCF02
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

zdld17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 3rd, 14, 07:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Or check out a few 80's Sevilles in the junkyard.
mahunt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in