My 1970 is squirrelly and wants to wander?? - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro
 Ground Up Restorations

Official Sponsor of Team Camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Second Generation 1970-1981

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jul 20th, 16, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

My 1970 is squirrelly and wants to wander??

Hi folks - I have an issue with my 1970 Camaro that is boggling my mind.
Have an 800 series quick ratio steering box and 17 inch rims all around wrapped in 255 45s.
When driving car steering feels loose - I guess that is a good term - when road is bumpy or with ruts car tends to jolt to the side with the rut - either left or right not preferring one side to other!
Alignment is good, steering box not leaking, suspension components all tight, not sure what is issue. Any thoughts on what I should inspect would be appreciated!
Thanks
Original1970 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 20th, 16, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: My 1970 is squirrelly and wants to wander??

What is the caster and camber numbers ?(post a pic of the paperwork maybe)

Stock or lowered ?
Old Jul 20th, 16, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Not sure of specs but alignment shop did stock specs on alignment. Car is lowered with Hotchkis lowering bb springs in front and Hotchkis leafs in rear.
Old Jul 20th, 16, 08:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Garage

Far more experts on here then me.

How long have you had the car driving on the road in this configuration?

I know from personal experience on my wife's Toyota car we had the stock wheels and tires, and then a nice 17" rim and low pro performance tires for the summers. When ever I had them swapped out in the spring it seemed that the car was all over the place grabbing every road seam, until I got used to it then seemed normal.

With the bigger performance tire/wheel combo might need a little more aggressive alignment then stock.

Just my 2cents.
Old Jul 21st, 16, 03:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks -not sure I can get more caster as I have stock control arms - upper and lower - do you think those need to be upgraded?
Old Jul 21st, 16, 05:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Tech

back when I had my 70 I noticed that it wandered alignment had been toed out reset to toe in and that fixed it
64 Chevelle wagon 6.0l planned sons toy
zman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 21st, 16, 06:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Stock specs on alignments have a large range that is still "OK". If I was doing alignments today I would set your car 's camber at 0 (+/- 1/4) with all the positive caster I could get. Set toe in to 1/16 in. Also remember the factory specs on our old cars were meant for bias ply tires not radials.

Jeff
yellow69RS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 21st, 16, 07:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for info. I will get an alignment within specs you noted and hopefully it will fix issue- otherwise will maybe try upgraded control arms to get more caster
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1469109932994.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	154929  
Old Jul 21st, 16, 01:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Many times when a Bigger Tire Patch (larger tire) is introduced, you can get tramlining.

Here is a Good Article

Tire Tech Information - Tramlining: Coping with the Ruts in the Road
BMR Suspension is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 21st, 16, 03:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I know when I had slicks (bias-ply) on the rear, it liked to walk around a lot....not fun
Old Jul 22nd, 16, 06:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage

Good suggestions her, bigger contact patch, more friction, custom alignment needed.
Keep tire pressure up, say 35-36 PSIG, always use the same gauge,
Ensure wheel bearings are tightened properly,
and as a troubleshooting tip, loosen both upper arm nuts, pry out arm, if needed, and insert a 1/8 inch shim in the REAR bolt, and tighten.
Drive for comparison.
BMR kind of hit the nail on the head - very old term.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
Everett#2390 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 22nd, 16, 06:37 AM   #12 (permalink)

Thank you to all for great suggestions - will try them and hope I get this fixed - hopefully it will give me a bit mor road feel on steering as well as address the tramlining
Old Jul 22nd, 16, 02:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

One other thing. Even with stock arms, you need to deviate slightly from the factory specs for toe-in, which ASSUMED bias ply tires. The factory spec is 1/8 to 1/4. You want 1/16 ideally, and NO MORE than 1/8. With the wider tires, you are also better off with zero camber. Many folks with tell you to run lots of negative camber, but you really do not need to on a street car with stock control arms. -1 works great at the auto cross, but you tires will wear out much sooner.

If your alignment guy can get you a little more caster than the book calls for, great, but don't sweat it.

MOST CARS I HAVE DIAGNOSED for tramlining simply had the wrong tire. I had some 17 inch Dunlop tires on a BMW that tramlined something awful, and that car has 6.5 degrees positive caster. Replaced them with Michelins and all was good. Have since used BFG, Bridgestone, Khumo, and several others, and none of them tramlined. Not all Dulops would tramline, but some tread patterns simply do on some cars.

BTW, factory specs (again, understand this was for a skinny bias ply tire) were:
Caster Pos 1/2, + or - 1/2 (in other words, 0 to 1 pos).
Camber Pos 1/4 + or - 1/2 (in other words neg 1/4 to pos 1/4 (quite the range)
Toe 1/8 to 1/4 measured in inches. Most of the new alignment equipment measures to in degrees.
Caster and Camber should not vary much side to side. Ideally, I used to set driver's side camber just a bit more positive than the right side. That compensates for the road crown and helps keep the car going straight.

Even with your alignment perfect, the car may tramline (dart back and forth with ruts or grooves in the road). If so, you will need to try different tires. Maybe you have a friend with an old Chevy, and you can borrow a set for a test drive.

Good luck.
Old Jul 22nd, 16, 04:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

Tires are BFG g-force comp-2. Fairly good quality.
Thanks for the detailed note/advice - greatly appreciated.
Would thrust angle also affect tramlining? Quick measurement front bottom of wheel well opening to tire shows driver side approx 1/2" closer to front of car.
Robert
Old Jul 23rd, 16, 08:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69RS View Post
Stock specs on alignments have a large range that is still "OK". If I was doing alignments today I would set your car 's camber at 0 (+/- 1/4) with all the positive caster I could get.Set toe in to 1/16 in. Also remember the factory specs on our old cars were meant for bias ply tires not radials.

Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilodeaulynn View Post
One other thing. Even with stock arms, you need to deviate slightly from the factory specs for toe-in, which ASSUMED bias ply tires. The factory spec is 1/8 to 1/4. You want 1/16 ideally, and NO MORE than 1/8. With the wider tires, you are also better off with zero camber. Many folks with tell you to run lots of negative camber, but you really do not need to on a street car with stock control arms. -1 works great at the auto cross, but you tires will wear out much sooner.

If your alignment guy can get you a little more caster than the book calls for, great, but don't sweat it.

MOST CARS I HAVE DIAGNOSED for tramlining simply had the wrong tire. I had some 17 inch Dunlop tires on a BMW that tramlined something awful, and that car has 6.5 degrees positive caster. Replaced them with Michelins and all was good. Have since used BFG, Bridgestone, Khumo, and several others, and none of them tramlined. Not all Dulops would tramline, but some tread patterns simply do on some cars.

BTW, factory specs (again, understand this was for a skinny bias ply tire) were:
Caster Pos 1/2, + or - 1/2 (in other words, 0 to 1 pos).
Camber Pos 1/4 + or - 1/2 (in other words neg 1/4 to pos 1/4 (quite the range)
Toe 1/8 to 1/4 measured in inches. Most of the new alignment equipment measures to in degrees.
Caster and Camber should not vary much side to side. Ideally, I used to set driver's side camber just a bit more positive than the right side. That compensates for the road crown and helps keep the car going straight.

Even with your alignment perfect, the car may tramline (dart back and forth with ruts or grooves in the road). If so, you will need to try different tires. Maybe you have a friend with an old Chevy, and you can borrow a set for a test drive.

Good luck.
Great minds think alike!

The only place we differ is compensating for road crown. At Bear alignment school in the early 80's I was encouraged to use caster to compensate. IIRC the car pulls to the side of the least positive so I would put left cast 1/2 degree lower then right. We were told to do that as Caster is not a tire wearing angle I saw many cars with a 1/4 in camber variation that the tires seemed to wear fine on.

Jeff
yellow69RS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in