1994 P.o.s. - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 13th, 07, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

1994 P.o.s.

Alright seeing as how I didn't see any particular person mention this.

I have a 1994 Camaro thats been in my family since the day it rolled off the assembly line my mom was the first owner and I am the second.
justbrad seemed to have a similar problem but it was different in that my car will start, it will drive around, but after about an hour give or take when it gets to a decent running temp, about halfway up the temp gauge, my car will die. It will crank all day long but it will not start up again unless it has had a chance to sit with the hood up for about a half hour.
Now for what I've done.
I replaced both O2 sensors, I've replaced the catalytic converter. After reading the majority of his post about his 1994 camaro I'm almost terrified of taking a guess as to what it is, any takers?
gkmarduk949 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 13th, 07, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Re: 1994 P.o.s.

After it dies you need to check to see if you are getting fuel and spark. If you aren't getting one or the other or even both it would help in suggesting a course of action.
Old May 13th, 07, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Tech

other than its a POS .. is it the V6 or the Z28 ?

I had a similar problem with my 97 SS . Turned out it was the Opti - Spark . But I think .. " dont quote me " I think thats only on the Z models.

check for spark . Grab a Screw Driver and unplug one of the plug wires .. stick the screw driver in there .. Make sure you have a screw driver with a PLASTIC handle and hold the shaft of the screw driver near something metal and have someone turn the key to crank it .. if it arc's .. then you have SPARK .. and you can Eliminate that . hope any of this helps you .

Rob.
RobSS1113 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 16th, 07, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

I had a similar problem with my Z....Check the MAF sensor...thats what made mine F*ck up..
94TwitchZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 16th, 07, 11:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Wink Re: 1994 P.o.s.

The "OptiSpark" units on these engines are notorious for producing the issues you are having. I've replaced a few on engines I've owned.
As stated a few posts back, when the engine quits immediately check the spark at one of the plugs to see if it is there or very weak. If so have the base unit checked or replaced, the 'cap/plug' assembly inspected or replaced and inspect or replace the rotor and your problems will probably go away ...
You should also 'ohm' all the plug wires to be sure they are in the correct range. Replace any that aren't.
BTW - aftermarket performance units are available from MSD and others.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
Vintage 68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 18th, 07, 08:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

I had the same problem on my 1994 Z/28. When the car was cold, it would fire up with no problems. As soon as it was warm, it would die and I could not start it again until it was dead cold again. Like you, the engine would roll over but not fire. The culprit? Ignition module at the bottom of the steering column. Don't ask me why but they go all the time.
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in