Looking to Upgrade to a V8 - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jul 13th, 07, 09:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Looking to Upgrade to a V8

OK, so I currently have a 1996 Camaro 3.8L which I have had for about 6 years now and I want something with a little more kick. I don't need a real firebreather (thats what my '69 Camaro 396 is for)...but I want something that will be a fast daily driver that I can tinker with and add some bolt on mods to along the way.

So, I'm thinking of getting a 6 speed LS-1 Camaro...either a Z-28 or an SS. I guess my first question is...is an SS really worth the extra cost? Don't get me wrong, I would much prefer an SS because I love the hood, but they seem to be quite a bit more expensive than the Z-28 and only have a few hp more. Are they really worth the extra cost?

Also, what kind of performance upgrades are the best for an LS-1. For example, I have read that the LT-1s had very restricted air flow from the factory and a new intake and exhaust made a world of difference. Is the LS-1 the same deal?

My plan at the moment is, once I get the car, eventually is a cold air intake (K&N, SLP, or something), cat back exhaust, performance chip, and MAYBE headers eventually...depending on header installation cost (as by the looks of it, I don't want to do that myself). Does that sound like a good plan...or is there something else that an LS-1 needs?

I know I'm asking a wide range of questions here...so bare with me. With the headers, I was under the impression (wrongly) that only shorties were avilable for 4th gen Camaro's but I found some full length on summit. What kind of clearence issues are there with full length headers in Camaro's and what kind of power can I expect to pick up?

Also, with the exhaust system, I have never done a custom exhaust in a newer car. Is putting high flow catalytic converters worth the cost or is it a waste?

Again, I'm sorry to be so all over the place here, but I recently got my classic Camaro back up and running and now I'm turning my sights toward an upgraded daily driver and I am looking for information.
RichieB16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 14th, 07, 04:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Looking to Upgrade to a V8

I've owned several late modle f-bodys and while they aren't as cool as the first gens the ls1 f-bodys are a diamond in the rough.One of my sales guys just bought a 2000 z28 we put a wisper lid and slp loud mouth cat back on it and the car dynoed 325 to the wheels.In my opinion the ls1 is the best motor chevy ever built.A full bolt on ls1 car should easly make 400 hp to the wheels not bad for a daily driver,bolt on a set of heads and install a cam now your making all but 500 hp.As far as the SS save your money buy a z28 or better yet a Trans AM(they look better) and save your money for some nice bolt ons
Mike C. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 14th, 07, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

With trial and error experiences in my buddy's 99 camaro ss, we found Flowtech headers to be the best headers for the LS1. There's lots more you can do, just look around. Get a Flowmaster Delta Force exhaust to complement those headers and you'll make slightly better numbers and sound a whole lot better. Then you can start messing around with computer chips, adding a free-er flowing intake(LS6 on my buddy's SS, it works great!), add that K&N Cold Air and you'll be set for a high 12 second daily.

mike
GCHARGER73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 28th, 07, 03:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

The trans ams are nice, but I prefer the less ricey look of the camaro. The Z28 has the exact same motor as the SS.

I do know that the 02 and other later models come with the ls6 intake stock, but a milder cam, so maybe a few more ponies, 5 up to 310 according to gm, though the nhra rates the car at 349hp stock.

I've read that it's much more difficult to tune the 98's for some reason. Great choice on the LS1 though. Mines mostly stock, and to me it's a fire breather. Mine is an '02 Z28 6speed Convertible in all black with the much nicer chrome 01-02 16" wheels. It came with a borla exhaust and a suncoast hood more like the bigger 94-97 SS hood. I love the car, it's so pleasant the way it chirps third Oh, I've also read that the pacesetter long tube headers are the best for fit and ground clearance.
Shooter_Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 28th, 07, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

im going to say go with the z28 the ss is not all it was said to be i have a 93 z28 LT1 and with a little work i can stand with the LS1 and i only have a cam and shaved heads. and yes a z28 is much cheaper then a ss
nightrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jul 30th, 07, 05:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

LS1 swap. (no "-" lol)

why are people so afraid to work on 4th gens? (not hard to do headers at all fwiw)
fast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in