opinions on buying a 99 camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Aug 4th, 07, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

opinions on buying a 99 camaro

hi all, im new to the boards and soon to be new to a camaro! My parents decided they would get me a new car for graduating high school and i love camaros and decided that is the car i want to get. i have been lookin all over the internet and at some auto shops with not a lot of luck. Well one of my fellow graduates has decided he wants to sell his 99 camaro he has because he is leaving to go to college in washington. well to get to my question, he told me the car has 95,000 miles on it and hes selling it for 4500. Its a v6, has t-tops and he just put brand new tires on it. i think thats a very good price for 95,000 miles but the high milege is really scaring me and i dont know if i should get it or not. As i stated earlier, im not having much luck with finding camaros and im tired of lookin so this might be my best chance. So do you guys think i would be ok with that many miles? Or should i wait it out and try to find a better one? thanks alot for the help and im sorry for the super long post!
bodman07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 5th, 07, 05:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Welcome Back - Senior Tech

Re: opinions on buying a 99 camaro

Not having much luck? Then come to Ohio. We have them everywhere! I'd suggest picking up a ls1 camaro (v8). There are only a few thousand more and they get awesome gas mileage if not got on all the time. Not unrealistic to expect mid 20's gas mileage from these combos and if treated right will go 150k without much work.

1969 Camaro
bearcat44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 5th, 07, 05:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Oh hey welcome to the crew by the way! You'll find gobs of great info here. I would also suggest ls1tech.com. Those guys know their 4th gen f-bodies!!

1969 Camaro
Old Aug 5th, 07, 08:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage

Don't fall into the instant gratification trap or you will settle for something that apears to be what you want but turns out to be a nightmare... Shop local if at all possible then no more than a half day drive away. Nice 4th gens are out there in V6 and V8 don't let any advice here sway you to a V8 if you are not ready for it. A local salvage yard here GM Sport Salvage Has row on row of totaled V8 4th gens. Talking to the yard owners the majority of them were owned by under 21yr old males, some not around to enjoy life now.

Expand your search to include 1996 and 1997 thru 2002, don't forget about the firebird when looking, drive trains are identical to Camaros, just cosmetic differences... Here's some ads to look through...

https://www.camaros.net/classifieds/showcat.php?cat=17

http://motors.listings.ebay.com/_W0Q...2=95123&lsot2=

Don't forget www.autotrader.com as well...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
DjD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 5th, 07, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

thanks alot for the help. yea i have been lookin at auto trader alot and the other day me and my dad found this really nice one in illinois on there and the next day my dad called to see about that camaro and it was already sold! the guy said it was gone in 2 days. so now my parents are getting on me to start lookin at other cars and not just camaros. a v6 i think is better for me right now just because its cheaper on gas and just overall, plus it would keep my insurance lower. i would love a v8 though.
bodman07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 11th, 07, 12:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodman07 View Post
thanks alot for the help. yea i have been lookin at auto trader alot and the other day me and my dad found this really nice one in illinois on there and the next day my dad called to see about that camaro and it was already sold! the guy said it was gone in 2 days. so now my parents are getting on me to start lookin at other cars and not just camaros. a v6 i think is better for me right now just because its cheaper on gas and just overall, plus it would keep my insurance lower. i would love a v8 though.
Click the link below. They have a regional forum section for Indiana and guys sell Camaros all the time. 2 1/2 years ago I bought a bone stock never molested 99 Z28 with 101K on the clock for $7,500.00 gets 20MPG with the air on, it's hot here in Texas. I also have a 99 Trans Am which personally I think look better than the Z's. Good luck.

www.ls1tech.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 Trans Am...my toy

Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 18th, 07, 07:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yep. The only reason I suggested v8 is that I've seen them get better gas mileage than the v6's. My dad owns a 99 transam and it gets 24 mpg while my brothers v6 camaro was lucky to pull 20. Now insurance on the other hand will suck for the ls1 because of what DjD was talking about. But if your a responsible fella, and not a dumb arse you won't have a problem. Its just as easy to get pancaked by a bad driver on the highway in a camaro and a 78 honda

1969 Camaro
Old Aug 21st, 07, 11:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Also try camaroz28.com and z28.com theres a few v6 camaros for sale over there too.
Old Aug 22nd, 07, 12:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Tech

I got a nice brand "X" for sale....lol....Ive always had camaros and got a good deal on it, and I wanted to know what all the st**g guys were braggin about, well 3k later (in go fast parts) I still dont know....lol

Theres all kinds of gen4 cars around here, 4sale...Did you try the auto trader online?

Harmon
56 Dodge truck/9c1 LT1,4L60
96 Brand"X" convt (for sale)
56pu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in