02 camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Aug 13th, 07, 08:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question 02 camaro

I have a 2002 camaro (V6 automatic). I really want to dual it out or do something to the exhaust system so that i have some kind of sound. My ex-boyfriend told me not to do it bc it was a waste of money, however my current boyfriend and his best friend said it would get better gas mileage (which i dont see how). Eventually i also want to do some other stuff to it. Right now it is completely stock except for the cd player, if you have any advice for me please let me know. Thanks!
camaro02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 14th, 07, 05:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Re: 02 camaro

You can get a cat-back exhaust system for your car. It will make the car sound better and it will loojk nicer with the dual exhaust tips coming out of the back. Check with Edelbrock and Magnaflow.
Old Aug 14th, 07, 11:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro02 View Post
... My ex-boyfriend told me not to do it bc it was a waste of money, however my current boyfriend and his best friend said it would get better gas mileage ...
In this instance, I would say listen to the Ex!
If you would see any improvement it wouldn't be more than 1 to 2 MPG.
Unless you drive insane distances per day you'll never be able to make up the cost of the exhaust in the gas savings.

If you truly do want better gas mileage, you may look into doing maintenance items such as fuel and air filters, and insure the fuel system is clean. In extreme measures, take the car to a tuner and let them know what you're looking to do. They can tune the car to an optimal air/fuel ratio for economy. Keep in mind that a tune will not be cheap. I'd say do all the small maintenance items and make sure to keep your tires properly inflated to get the best MPG you can get.

If you're simply after a better exhaust note, you can do it much cheaper by simply adding a different muffler. That's what I did on my 02 SS a few years ago and still love it.
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 21st, 07, 11:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Yeah if you have a v6 its not going to ever really sound mean. I would first try cutting out the muffler and adding a glasspak with the two pipes out the back. Of course one of the pipes will not be functional but it would look better with two. In any case my advise is to just leave it alone, its probably not worth the money with it being a v6.
Old Sep 10th, 07, 04:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Glasspacks rule !
67sprtcp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 15th, 07, 09:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

mine is a 2002 convertable. i have heard not to do any exaust work to a six thats what mine is a also and automatic. good luck with your discision
lil red camaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 9th, 08, 11:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have an 02 Convertible 6 cyl. automatic - I put a stock Z28 exhaust on it, and it sounds good and looks good too! The dual exhaust looks nice. I can hear it coming down the road from about 1/4 mile away. I get 28 mpg on highway and 25 city. On a recent road trip to Michigan, I got 30 MPG! Not too shabby. I take really good care of it.
02ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 15th, 08, 01:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

To anyone who says don't waste your time modding a v6 f-body: we have at least one 3800 in the 8s in the quarter, and at least 5 in the 11s street legal. It takes a bit more to get them there, but they have quite the potential.

On the other hand, no, exhaust isn't going to make your car fast, and it will never sound as good as a Z or SS, but there are exhaust options out there that will make it sound better. Magnaflow and Borla are my personal preferences, and a stock Z28 catback is a good alternative as well. Chances are you won't see an increase in gas mileage or performance (maybe a little). Exhaust is mainly for sound on a sixer.
TheGr8Schlotzky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jun 18th, 08, 06:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

i have a 97 rs and I also bought a stock z-28 muffler for like 36 dollars from autozone and it sounds alot better than the ones I heard with magnaflow and flowmaster, it is not as high pitched
CamaroBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in