Engine removal: 97 LT1 w/ T56 - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Sep 7th, 07, 10:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Engine removal: 97 LT1 w/ T56

I am getting ready to pull out a LT1 mated to a T56 6 speed tranny this weekend, and would like to know if there are any tips on removal. I have the cherry picker and load leveler, I need a little advise now. Where should I attach the bolts that connect to the chain on the load leveler? Can I keep the tranny attached when removing the block? Do I have to take alternator off with all the accessories with it? Any help will give me a big head start. Thanks to everyone in here.
cencal69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 7th, 07, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage
Re: Engine removal: 97 LT1 w/ T56

I haven't pulled an lt1 out of a 4th gen before so I may be wrong but I believe it's designed to have the cradle (subframe) lowered (with the engine attached) out from under the car. Look how deep the fire wall is under the cowl and how far back the engine is, it seems like using the cherry picker and pulling the engine would be very awkward.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
DjD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 7th, 07, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

I have "heard" that it's possible to first remove the trans, bell, and clutch, then lift the motor off it's mounts, turn it sideway, and yank it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
JimM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 10th, 07, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
I haven't pulled an lt1 out of a 4th gen before so I may be wrong but I believe it's designed to have the cradle (subframe) lowered (with the engine attached) out from under the car. Look how deep the fire wall is under the cowl and how far back the engine is, it seems like using the cherry picker and pulling the engine would be very awkward.
It can be done with a cherry picker. That's how I did mine but I wouldn't recommend removing the engine/trans together. You'll have to remove the radiator and ac condenser in order to do it and even then the motor will just barley squeez out.
LT1RUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 10th, 07, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Tech

It can be done either way (out the bottom or top) but it's much easier to drop from the bottom.

http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 11th, 07, 08:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Do you think I can take the radiator support and header panel out, then have enough room to pull that sucker out? Where do I put the bolts on the engine that are going to the chain- to the cherry picker? You guys are awesome, pics coming on thursday, then you can laugh at me.
Old Sep 11th, 07, 09:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Gabriel, I'll tell you how to do this easily, but you must give up that T-56 and trade me out my 4L60E Man I want a manual trans so bad I can taste it.

Anyway, do this........

If you want to take it out from the top, do what you said.....take the radiator support and the front headder pannel off. This will give you a strait shot out the front of the car. Take off all parts that would hold it in the car....driveshaft, torque arm, wires, fuel lines, ect, ect. Remove the motor mount bolts and trans mount bolt and then remove the crossmember. The roll around jack you used to lift up the trans......keep it there where it is so the trans can roll around on it. Then use your picker to lift on the front of the engine while the rear of the trans sits on the floor jack. Slide it all forward once it's high enough, then sit it back down and re-adjust your lift chain position and lift the entire thing on out from there.

This is the way I did mine and it worked perfect.

Hope this helps,

Joe

Kokamo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 12th, 07, 06:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
It can be done either way (out the bottom or top) but it's much easier to drop from the bottom.

http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html

+1 - Always easier to remove the engine the same way it was installed at the factory.
Old Sep 13th, 07, 08:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Lol. Thanks for the advice Joe. The wife is gonna be outta town this whole weekend, so I'm a free man to be with my camaros. I'll post pictures this weekend and you can see the mess I'm working with. There was an under hood fire and all the wires and hoses melted, along with anything plastic. But I'm a gluten for punishment. 383 huh? How many horses are you putting out? Sounds like fun. Thanks again. The knowledge is very much appreciated.
Old Sep 13th, 07, 01:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by cencal69 View Post
Lol. Thanks for the advice Joe. The wife is gonna be outta town this whole weekend, so I'm a free man to be with my camaros. I'll post pictures this weekend and you can see the mess I'm working with. There was an under hood fire and all the wires and hoses melted, along with anything plastic. But I'm a gluten for punishment. 383 huh? How many horses are you putting out? Sounds like fun. Thanks again. The knowledge is very much appreciated.
No problem man, anything I can do to help.

The 383 is a stout SOB. I have built many, many 400 horse engines in the past and this one honestly feels like it has around 400 to 450 and it really hasent been tuned. I think the stock intake and throttle body is whats hurting me.

Good luck on your pull. At the point your in, it kinda sucks, but once you have all the new parts waiting to be put together and running, it's all worth it.

Joe

Kokamo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 13th, 07, 06:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Tech

i've done these before and they can be taken out the top, but you have to remove the trans and clutch and flywheel, but if you do that it will come out of the top without having to remove the rad. support or header panel. It may take a little manuevering but it can be done.
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in