2002 DS Electric Window Problem - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Sep 9th, 07, 09:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Tech

2002 DS Electric Window Problem

My 2002's driver's side window has been working slower and slower. Recently it acts as if it's popping a breaker. It moves about 4" and then stops. If I wait 30 seconds or so, I can move it another 4" and so on until it is closed.

What's strange is that even while the driver's side window is not functioning, the passenger's side works fine leading me to believe the breaker is ok.

This afternoon, I'm going to take some amperage measurements to see if it's a binding issue. I should be getting a new service manual in the mail soon. Until then, if any of you have dealt with a sluggish electric window, I'd be curious what you found out.
dnult is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 9th, 07, 09:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2002 DS Electric Window Problem

It sounds like your window motor is going bad. My understanding is they will draw more current when they are going bad as they try and push the heavy window...this results in kicking the breaker. Eventually, they will push the window up less before kicking the breaker before going completely out. I've had to change both window motors in my 1996 Camaro (the driver side twice) because the motor went out...I had these same symptoms.

Oh, by the way, the motor is a pain to change.
RichieB16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 9th, 07, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Tech

The motor is bad, I've replaced my wife's motor 3 times, all with gm motors.
There is 1 bolt, or is it 2? that's hard to get to. I drilled a hole through the fiberglass on the other side of the bolt that holds the motor to the regulator. Now it's accessible for replacement from the door panel side of the door.
Dale
Old Sep 10th, 07, 07:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Tech

I never did take those amperage measurements but was able to confirm that when the driver's motor stalls, the passenger side works fine. Yesterday it stalled and then when it finally started working again and ran faster than it has in a couple of years...weird.

I had an old pherd once that had a motor problem. The pinion had a rubber coupler, I presume to reduce motor noise. The rubber in the coupler came apart and gummed up the works. I don't suppose I'll get that lucky with this one though.

My new Heilm manual should arrive this week. Looks like I've got a project. I've replaced a few motors in the past. Most required drilling through the regulator gear and bolting it in place to prevent it snapping back when the motor was removed. I presume this one is similar, but it seems everyone agrees - this one is a pain. Wish me luck and thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it goes in a week or so.
Old Sep 10th, 07, 08:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
DjD
Retired

Garage

Very common issue... The first link is a motor fix, the second is a how to replace the motor. I found the least expensive (ebay $20-$30) window motor I could when I did the '96. It was still working well when I sold the car.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/archi.../t-145075.html

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
DjD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Sep 10th, 07, 05:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Post Re: 2002 DS Electric Window Problem

I just did my 2001 passenger side window motor about a month ago and I used the shoe box link that DjD posted. It only took about 2 1/2 hours to do. I have done both drivers and passenger side windows and the first window takes the longest as you are just not sure about anything. Try and print it out in color and read it at least twice and then read it again. You are correct about drilling out the rivets and then bolting the new motor in place. I too picked the motors up from a place on e-bay called A1Auto.com ( they are out of New York). Good Luck!
Z28 Mark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Oct 27th, 07, 08:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Well I just finished the window motor repair today. I was able to refurbish the original and plan to take the $245 regulator assembly back to GM.

The motor had water in it for one thing. Nothing was severly damaged as a result, but no bueno none the less.

The armature looked like it had a film of dried, burned, grease on it. I buffed up the armature, dried it out, and then focused on that thermal breaker I've heard about.

The thermal breaker was adding about another 0.7 Ohms of resistance and would drop a substantial amount of voltage with a 3A test load. I tried to peen the breaker with a center punch, but that made no difference. I got it good and hot with a soldering iron and soldered it together with a fluxy piece of solder.

Getting the brushes back in wasn't easy. Definately some tounge holding involved and it took a couple tries until I jigged a little strap to hold one of the brushes in place until I was about to assemble it.

It took me considerable more than 2 hrs, though I wasn't in a big hurry. The rivets GM provides are 1/4" and you'll have a hard time finding a rivet gun to pop them. I used some 1/4" button-head cap screews and 4 out-of-round lock nuts. I tac welded the nuts in place and put it back together. I imagine I spent 4 hours on it.

If GM will buy back the new regulator the repair will have cost me about $0.75 in grease, cleaner, compressed, and a band-aid. Now lets see if she'll hold for another 20,000 miles.
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in