Speaker problems - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Nov 19th, 07, 10:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Speaker problems

Hi. I have a Monsoon sound system on my 99 Camaro and blew out 2 of the speakers (oops). They are the ones in the side panel right behind the front seats. I went to Best Buy to ask someone exaclty what size i would need thinkin that i could just simply buy new speakers and install them myself. He told me that you would have to rewire everything to those speakers again and he really didnt know exactly why. He just knew you couldnt. So im just curious as to the exact reason that you have to rewire everything and how much would it cost to get those 2 speakers replaced and have someone rewire it? Thanks alot.
bodman07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Nov 19th, 07, 11:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Re: Speaker problems

Go to the dealer. I blew a small speaker (tweeter) in the back of my Denali and it did not cost much to replace. Best Buy will try to sell you after market stuff.
Any of these work?

http://motors.search.ebay.com/Camaro...ageNameZRC0023
Old Nov 19th, 07, 08:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yea but the guy at best buy claims you have to rewire everything to the amp in the back (which i didnt mention in the first post sorry) but that makes no sense to me because why cant you just use the old wiring?
Old Nov 19th, 07, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ok i just looked at those ebay posts. So if i buy just regular monsoon speakers instead of a different brand i wont have to rewire it? Im sorry for the all questions but im just confused.
Old Nov 19th, 07, 09:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Tech

The reason they may be stating that you have to rewire is that the monsoon subs work off of a 2 ohm impedance, not your standard 4 ohm that you find aftermarket.
http://www.lastofthebreed.com/Servic...bodyStereo.htm

If you do replace the sails, you'll need to insure that it's a 2 ohm load. This can either be through dual 4 ohm voice coils wired in parallel, or a single 2 ohm voice coil.

If you'd like, I'd be happy to take a look at the replacements you're thinking about.
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Nov 20th, 07, 06:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Yeah, or if you go to the dealer and buy the speakers. You would then just replace the speakers, no re-wire. Or you can do as Rhino suggested.
Old Nov 20th, 07, 07:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ok now im starting to understand. lol. Well it seems my best bet would be to just buy new monsoons so i dont have to rewire everything because that would not be a good idea. lol. Now just to verify, since it was the speakers in the side panels right behind the front seats, are those 6.5 inch speakers? Thanks alot guys
Old Nov 20th, 07, 03:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Yep, I believe they are 6.5

Just to restate it another way, you won't have to rewire anything if you go with 2 ohm speakers. You could probably go to any audio house and ask them what 2 ohm 6.5" component sets they suggest.

Personally, I would take this time to replace them with a good quality midbass driver. From a sound quality perspective, you rarely want any treble filling in the background. If you're not really worried about upgrading the system, any 2 ohm component set will work.
Old Nov 20th, 07, 07:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Team Member

Actually the impedance doesn't have anything to do with why the speakers can't be replaced with any ordinary speaker. Most amps these days run at variable impedance. The real problem is that these monsoon speakers are part of an amplified system. Part of the amplifier is built in to the speaker. The reasons the wires have to be replaced is that the wire is shielded wire designed to carry signal at low voltage. When hook regular speakers up with shielded wire the shield gets hot and melts through to the inner wire. This creates a short and you not only lose your speaker you lose your stereo as well.

Long story short you will have to either rewire or use speakers that are part of an "amplified" system.
68driver57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Nov 20th, 07, 08:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Tech

This is actually the first I've heard of this. What do you mean by "part of the amp is in the speaker"?

The Impedance has nothing to do with not being a direct replacement, although it does have a direct effect on performance. While a 4 ohm speaker will still work, you will see a dramatic decrease in volume.

In doing a little more research I've run across this in the Monsoon FAQ on LS1tech.com
Quote:
Replacing the factory speakers is mostly a matter of finding suitable speakers that fit and sound the way you like. Much ado has been made about the different impedance levels of the factory speakers and most aftermarket speakers but this is not a critical factor. Replacing factory 2-ohm speakers with aftermarket 4-ohm ones would normally cause a significant reduction in the volume from those speakers but factory speakers are quite inefficient. Replacing them with more efficient aftermarket speakers - even though they are 4-ohm - will not result in much loss of volume and certainly will have no effect on sound quality. However, there are some things to watch out for - the sail panel subs get only low-filtered signal from the amp so putting coaxial speakers there will require some rewiring if you want to get anything out of the tweeters. Also, the door speakers are wired as components so you either have to buy component replacements or get coax speakers that can be modified to separate the wiring of the tweeters from the mids (or you can just install coax speakers and ignore the extra channel up front). There are two long threads discussing replacement speakers for Camaros and Firebirds that have good information about makes and models even though they are often inaccurate about how the Monsoon system is wired.

Camaro: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126979
Firebird: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105043
Old Nov 20th, 07, 08:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Team Member

The speakers have a portion of the output transformer as part of the assembly. While it is passive (i.e. no voltage source required) The wiring is different and the signal is not identical to that of a conventional speaker. In this case two different sources power the high and low sections of the speaker.
68driver57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Nov 20th, 07, 10:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks alot for all the help. Now im only 19 years old and im tryin to learn alot about cars, so alot of this technical talk on speakers is a little crazy but im startin to understand it. Now this monsoon system (as well as the car itself) was a huge upgrade over my last car (a 93 ford taurus) so the monsoon system sounded amazing to me. As much as i would like to put money into my car, like with a even more improved audio system, its not to easy for me since i dont have a ton of money to put into it. So just gettin some new monsoon speakers again for like 100 bucks is fine with me. lol.
Old Nov 21st, 07, 11:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Tech

You learn something new every day. I've replaced them, although I did it along with the rest of the system. I'll have to take another look at them.
Old Nov 28th, 07, 09:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Ok, i used those links Rhino gave me to the camaro and firebird guys who installed aftermarket speakers into their cars and let me tell you that is a relief to see because i didnt know what to do. But i have a few more questions. After reading through a ton of pages on those links, since im replacing the subs, i believe that you connect only the longer wires to the new speakers and just tape off the other ones right? Also, do anyone have any recomendations on speakers to use? I wanna make sure I use the right ones and that thread was made 5 years ago, so im not sure if those speakers people used are still even around. Thanks alot for the help everyone. I cant wait to get my sound back. haha

Last edited by bodman07; Nov 28th, 07 at 10:44 PM.
Old Nov 29th, 07, 08:09 AM   #15 (permalink)

Nevermind, im getting help over at ls1tech now and im probably gonna buy some speakers off someone there. Thanks alot for the help everyone and ill let you guys now how everything goes.
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in