Swapping V6 for V8 - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Dec 24th, 07, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Swapping V6 for V8

Hi i Have a 97 camaro with the 3800 v6 engine in it. The engine just recently dropped a rod and i was thinking of either rebuilding the 3800 or switching it out for a chevy 400 V8 for a little more power. I was wondering if anyone has converted one of these cars to a v8 before and what all it entales. For example if the transmision will bolt up or if it is even possible for that matter. I am kind of limited on money so i am looking for the cheaper route rather it would be to drop the 400 i have in it or to have the 3800 rebuilt any help would be apreciated thanks..
derekc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 24th, 07, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Re: Swapping V6 for V8

Derek, if you are short on funds, you need to stay with the V6. Just think about it.....you will need a full exhaust built because you can't use the V6 stuff, then you will need to get the LT1 motor mounts and brackets, you will need to get another transmission because the V6 trans will not fit a sbc 400, not to mention a crossmember to fit the transmission you use.... then you will need a custom made driveshaft unless you get lucky and the factory one fits by chance, then you will need to take the fuel pump out of the tank and fab up a regular pickup tube.....you cant use 45ish psi on your carbed motor (aasuming you are going carbed).....well, you prolly could but you will need a good fuel pressure regulator.

On top of all of this, if you plan on driving it on the street, you will need it to pass inspection and that will require cats on the exhaust.

Hope this helps you out. I'm sure I missed a few things, but for the most part, thats what it will take.

Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kokamo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Dec 25th, 07, 07:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

+1 I agree
CamaroBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 2nd, 08, 08:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

+2
LT1RUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 12th, 08, 06:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

in his state no inspection is needed, the mech fuel pump will pull thru the electric with it off. if you are able go for it
1968 ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 12th, 08, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Not worth the effort IMHO. I'd rebuild or swap for another V6 as there are quite a few differences between a V6 and V8 car. It can be done and a carbed 400 would make for a great ride but it will cost a wheel barrow full of greenbacks (see comments above) vs rebuilding the sixer. It's not just a simple engine swap. Cheaper to rebuild the 6 and throw N2O at it if you feel the "need for speed".

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn
PowerWindows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 12th, 08, 01:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Tech

It'll probbably be cheaper to sell your car and buy another one with a V8 if that is what you're after.
dnult is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Jan 15th, 08, 08:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Something else to think about. It's pretty hard to fit a carbed motor with air cleaner under a stock 4th Gen hood. You'll have to go with a cowl of some sort. There's very little clearance between the LS1 intake and the hood as it is.

I'd either look into a Gen 3/4 small block swap or do as previously stated. Sell your car and buy a V8 model. The swap is feasible, but much cheaper to buy one outright.
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in