Did rockers, now car wont start. - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Feb 23rd, 08, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Did rockers, now car wont start.

I just put in a full set of 16 1.6 ratio roller rockers in my 94 z28. The motor turns, but does not run...Im really confused because I thought that if when installing the new rockers, as long as i didnt turn the motor over, the valve timing would remain the same. Im thinking I was wrong...could somebody please help me figure out something I can do to get it running again. All help appreciated...thanx
94TwitchZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 23rd, 08, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Re: Did rockers, now car wont start.

How did you adjust them?
onovakind67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 23rd, 08, 04:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage

You have to turn the engine over to properly adjust the valves. I'm assuming you have a hydraulic cam? If so use this method:

Turn the engine over by hand in the direction of rotation until the exhaust pushrod just begins to move upward to open the valve. You are now ready to adjust the INTAKE rocker of the same cylinder.

Carefully tighten the nut on the intake rocker arm while spinning the pushrod with your fingertips. You will feel a slight resistance in the pushrod when you have taken up all of the clearance. This is referred to as “zero lash”. Now turn the adjusting nut to the specified preload –this will typically amount to ¼-3/4 of a turn, but will vary based on lifter model .

Turn the engine in its rotation direction until the intake pushrod comes all the way up and almost all the way back down. Now set the EXHAUST rocker to “zero lash” and add the specified preload. Repeat this process for all remaining cylinders.
'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
Steve69SS396 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 23rd, 08, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

okay. i adjusted for zero lash, tightened everything up until the pushrods had little resistance on them when I spun them in my fingers. So I figured everything was ready to go...WRONG!!!! I ended up breaking a pushrod. Im really confused now. The rockers are Proform 1.6 ratio. They have a tall nut that threads onto the stud, and then an allen set screw kind of thing that screws into the nut on the stud...Im really thinking I didnt install them right at all...any other ideas on why this happened. Im really upset because now I have to limp it all the way home on 7 cylinders. PLEASE HELP!!!
Old Feb 23rd, 08, 05:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

You DO NOT want to even try to run it without the valves adjusted properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
JimM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Feb 23rd, 08, 05:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

ok..ok...im not planning on running it now at all looking at everything.. im going to have to try and adjust the rest of the rockers so I can get it home and get a push rod tomorrow. This is my understanding on how to adjust the rockers. Pull the drivers side first spark plug. Turn the motor by hand until I feel air comming out past my finger. Then look at the rockers. They should both be closed...Rockers UP. Im pretty sure im right so far. Then adjust the rockers on that cylinder alone to zero lash. Now, I think where I screwed up is the fact that Im not sure how to go from here. O man...Im so lost on this subject. I thought that if I took 1 rocker off at a time and replaced it with the new one and just adjusted lash like that I would've been fine. Im honestly embaressed, I really didnt think I would screw up this bad, but as I see now, I can honestly say i have no idea. Could anybody possibly walk me throught it just so I can get the car home. Right now its taking up space in my buddys garage and he's starting to get upset...thanx guys
Old Feb 23rd, 08, 06:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Tech

This will work 100% for sure if you have hydraulic lifters. Set the timing mark at 0 . Loosen all rockers. Next adjust all rockers just to the point that the pushrods won't move up and down. Rotate the engine only 1 complete turn till the timing mark reads on the 0 again. This time only tighten the rockers that have push rods that will move up and down. Tighten them just till the pushrods wont move up and down. Finish by tightening all the rocker nuts 1/2 turn. That's close enough to get your car home, and more than likely perfect, unless you have some god awful radical camshaft.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
dyno jonn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in