Exhaust cut out any good? How good? - Team Camaro Tech
Team Camaro Tech join team camaro

Registered users (free) do not see these large ads

Fourth Generation 1993-2002

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Mar 15th, 08, 03:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exhaust cut out any good? How good?

I have a 1999 camaro z28 ls1 and was wondering how much of a rwhp gain I would get with a exhaust cut out. I know a guy with a 2001 z28 that said that he actually lost hp when he put an exhaust cut out, but I also know a guy with a 98 that said he gained 15 hp. Should I put a exhaust cut out or keep it stock. All I have on it is a flowmaster muffler.
ELMAPA818 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 15th, 08, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Re: Exhaust cut out any good? How good?

You actually might loose horsepower, but I think if you went to the track there would be little or no differance with cutouts. The only reason I would get them is if you like running open headers just for the sound

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
justincat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 15th, 08, 07:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

I put a 3" QTP electric cutout on my 2002 Z28 when it was bone stock. It was my 2nd mod (1st being a Volant CAI). On the dyno I gained 17rwhp (323 vs 306) and 18rwt (341 vs 323). At the track I gained about .2 sec (13.54 vs 13.71) and 2 mph (107+ vs 105+). Remember also that 01 and 02 have pretty good exhaust manifolds stock (much lese restrictive than 98-00).

I removed it when I went with LT's and TD's. I also have SFC's and a TA. After a dyno tune I now put down 343rwhp and 357rwt. This put me at 13.09 at 109+ at Firebird Raceway in Phoenix (DA was about 2300' at the time). My 60' was a wheel hopping traction limited 2.1 so I know it'll go faster. Time for more suspension work so I can hook up what I've got.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn
PowerWindows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 15th, 08, 08:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Have you tried LSMFT?
onovakind67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 16th, 08, 02:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Gold Lifetime Member

Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco?

All of these are commonly used short hand on other sites (3rd and 4th gen sites in particular) that I frequent.

CAI = Cold Air Intake (aftermarket air cleaner, Volant being the manufacturer).

RWHP = Rear Wheel Horse Power as measured on a chassis dyno.

RWT = Rear Wheel Torque as measured on a chassis dyno.

SFC = Sub Frame Connectors.

LT = Long Tubes or regular headers (as opposed to mid length headers which can be used with the catalytic converters - long tubes and or aftermarket y-pipe are commonly used instead of cast iron exhaust manifolds and cats). I also have an X-pipe as opposed to an H-pipe or nothing. An X or H pipe joins the 2 halves of the system together and is used to create a better scavaging effect.

TD = True duals which really don't fit on 4th gens as they (and 3rd gens as well) aren't designed for them. These are commonly dumped at the rear axle although they can be made to go over the axle if you relocate the panhard bar.

TA = Torque Arm, the round tube aftermarket version (which I have) is considerably stronger than the factory stamped steel piece.

DA = Density Altitude - anybody who races knows what this is.

Next on the list for me are LCA's (aftermarket Lower Control Arms) and relocation brackets + better shocks to control the massive wheel hop my car has when I launch it on DR's (Drag Radials). I race with these tires (DR's) as it blows the stockers off at anything under 20 mph.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn
PowerWindows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Mar 16th, 08, 04:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Tech

Now I'm beginning to understand how a TA could have a TA with a TA. TA.
onovakind67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
First Name
Rather than just Hot69, gotta real name?

Log-in